Trilogy Discussion

8 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

I like how they went back to their roots and started writing fun songs that we didn't get since after Warning. AI and 21CB were just horrible.

Except they didn't go back to their roots. Their roots were distorted guitars, mike-billie harmonies, wild drum fills/bass lines. They had clean guitars, billie-billie harmonizing, almost no good drum moments for Tre and even fewer bass moments for Mike. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Z J said:

Except they didn't go back to their roots. Their roots were distorted guitars, mike-billie harmonies, wild drum fills/bass lines. They had clean guitars, billie-billie harmonizing, almost no good drum moments for Tre and even fewer bass moments for Mike. 

They did. They went back to being Green Day.

I think you should stop hating and give the albums a listen. There are actually distored guitars on there :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Only having 15-18 songs instead of the 37 would not make it better. If you read "In Defense of the Trilogy" discussion, that explains why perfectly. People have different opinions on which songs are better than others. Nobody can agree on the top 15 songs of the trilogy. Because people have differing opinions. If you don't like a lot of the songs from the trilogy, you can just make a playlist of all your favourite songs. If GD only made 15 songs there's a good chance that many of the songs that you like wouldn't have been released. With the trilogy, some songs appeal to different fans e.g some songs are more like the classic Green Day, some are like Foxboro Hot Tubs, some are like AI/21CB. With 37 songs there's almost guaranteed that there will at least be something that everyone will like. I'm actually glad they made it a trilogy.

Do you honestly think songs like nightlife, baby eyes, troublemaker, sweet 16, sex drugs and violence, a little boy named train etc etc would've been on a 15 track album?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RustyJoe said:

Do you honestly think songs like nightlife, baby eyes, troublemaker, sweet 16, sex drugs and violence, a little boy named train etc etc would've been on a 15 track album?

Yes

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Only having 15-18 songs instead of the 37 would not make it better. If you read "In Defense of the Trilogy" discussion, that explains why perfectly. People have different opinions on which songs are better than others. Nobody can agree on the top 15 songs of the trilogy. Because people have differing opinions. If you don't like a lot of the songs from the trilogy, you can just make a playlist of all your favourite songs. If GD only made 15 songs there's a good chance that many of the songs that you like wouldn't have been released. With the trilogy, some songs appeal to different fans e.g some songs are more like the classic Green Day, some are like Foxboro Hot Tubs, some are like AI/21CB. With 37 songs there's almost guaranteed that there will at least be something that everyone will like. I'm actually glad they made it a trilogy.

I don't like this argument. They could've made a tight, concise record if they removed some of the songs. If they were able to make 12-14 song albums in the past, why shouldn't they be able to do so now. If all the songs were just so mediocre that they couldn't decide on which ones were great, they shouldn't have released this material in the first place.

I respect people who like the trilogy. But saying that keeping 37 songs was a good thing is wrong, because they made concise records in the past and it worked just fine. A short album like Dookie is universally praised by most fans. If there weren't 14 songs on the trilogy that they felt were strong enough to cut out the rest, as I said, they should've scrapped the project altogether.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RustyJoe said:

Sex drugs and violence is actually my favorite song from the trilogy haha

• Like 1

"No one can agree on the 15 best songs" is a terrible argument.

American Idiot has 13 songs and everyone except Seagull loves it. Would you rather have them release 37 songs on American Idiot and let the fans make a playlist with their 13 favorite songs?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

Sex drugs and violence is actually my favorite song from the trilogy haha

If they could of polished off the lyrics a little bit I would love that song. The guitar riff in that song is pretty catchy.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

American Idiot has 13 songs and everyone except Seagull loves it. Would you rather have them release 37 songs on American Idiot and let the fans make a playlist with their 13 favorite songs?

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

they should've scrapped the project altogether.

5 minutes ago, RustyJoe said:

I know people like to shit on Nightlife but there are still a lot of people who like Nightlife, and a lot of people like the rest of those songs you've named too

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

I don't like this argument. They could've made a tight, concise record if they removed some of the songs. If they were able to make 12-14 song albums in the past, why shouldn't they be able to do so now. If all the songs were just so mediocre that they couldn't decide on which ones were great, they shouldn't have released this material in the first place.

I respect people who like the trilogy. But saying that keeping 37 songs was a good thing is wrong, because they made concise records in the past and it worked just fine. A short album like Dookie is universally praised by most fans. If there weren't 14 songs on the trilogy that they felt were strong enough to cut out the rest, as I said, they should've scrapped the project altogether.

Uno Dos Tré was made as a gift for the fans. It wasn't intended as an album like Dookie or AI to be universally praised. I'm sure if they wanted that, they could've just made it into a short album. They have loads of different types of fans, fans of Dookie/Insomniac, AI/21CB, Nimrod/Warning etc. and with the trilogy they tried to give something to each type of fan. I'm sure with this next release, they will make more effort to put more meaningful lyrics and a more epic sound into their songs

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

"No one can agree on the 15 best songs" is a terrible argument.

There are loads of people who hate American Idiot. Not justr Seagull. Many people prefer the older GD albums or even the newer GD albums

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

You always have to argue, don't you bird brain. If you still don't like AI after 12 years, move along to the Unpopular Opinions thread but don't pollute this one with your AI hate speech. If you could only pick a maximum of 18 tracks from the trilogy, which would you pick.

15 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

If you could only pick a maximum of 18 tracks from the trilogy, which would you pick.

1. Nuclear Family
2. Stay the Night
3. Carpe Diem
4. Let Yourself Go
5. Kill the DJ
6. Loss of Control
7. Oh Love
8. Fuck Time
9. Lazy Bones
10. Stop When the Red Lights Flash
11. Stray Heart
12. Lady Cobra
13. Nightlife
14. Amy
15. 8th Avenue Serenade
16. X-Kid
17. 99 Revolutions
18. Sex, Drugs & Violence

I still prefer the trilogy as it is as three albums

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

Because it means production can be more focused and then you ditch a load of the ones that are true horse shit. The problem is any more than 24 tracks is too much IMO and so the trilogy seems OTT as well as rather mediocre in parts.

Don't get me wrong but if trilogy was limited to only few selected songs then it would have been totally useless. It's not about making one solid record but expand it more as per the music demands so they decided correctly about it else we wouldn't have got such diverse styles and I don't think it disturbed the focus on production in any way.

26 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

If you could only pick a maximum of 18 tracks from the trilogy, which would you pick.

In no particular order:

1. Fell For You

2. Brutal Love

3. Nightlife

4. Oh Love

5. Kill the DJ

6. Rusty James

7. Fuck Time

8. Stray Heart

9. Amy

10. Stay the Night

11. Missing You

12. Walk Away

13. Dirty Rotten Bastards

14. X-Kid

15. 99 Revolutions

16. The Forgotten

17. Lazy Bones

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

In no particular order:

1. Fell For You

2. Brutal Love

3. Nightlife

4. Oh Love

5. Kill the DJ

6. Rusty James

7. Fuck Time

8. Stray Heart

9. Amy

10. Stay the Night

11. Missing You

12. Walk Away

13. Dirty Rotten Bastards

14. X-Kid

15. 99 Revolutions

16. The Forgotten

17. Lazy Bones

Oh yeah Walk Away is good. That should be in my list

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Eric said:

This. I do not think it was their best music ever. There is no doubt about that. I just don't understand the hate that comes everyday since 2012 about it and the "cool" crowd shat on everyone and made them feel uncomfortable for liking it. Very uncalled for a forum that should feel comfortable talking about Green Day. I mean their is shittier records out there in life that the very same people love. Every song on the trilogy still beats what Blink 182 has done since like forever, MCR, Biffy Shitro, Panic At The Disco, and so on.

you are stretching it with MCR and Blink 182. :lol: 

12 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

you are stretching it with MCR and Blink 182. :lol: 

First off he shouldn't shit on other bands if he doesn't like people shitting on the music that he likes.

1 minute ago, tacobellfan456 said:

I'd like to say that the Demolicious version of "Baby Eyes" is fucking bad ass.

This just shows that the trilogy was over produced.

2 hours ago, Jake69 said:

This just shows that the trilogy was over produced.

For sure. Also, that bass intro!

4 hours ago, tacobellfan456 said:

I'd like to say that the Demolicious version of "Baby Eyes" is fucking bad ass.

One of the better songs from the Trilogy.

There's a handful of quality songs here. Just way too many mediocre tracks, with a couple of straight up terrible songs to boot.

• Like 1

I had this whole big essay typed out but decided to forget it cause at the end of the day its not my job to make other people agree with me and i would just be a dick to even try that. What kind of music you like is up to you and thats why its special.. everyone can like what they like no matter how angry i get at the thought of people saying they didnt like American Idiot or 21st century breakdown. Uno was my least favorite there are some songs I like on there but not many. Funny thing is my favorite trilogy album is Dos which is most peoples least favorite I can listen to all the songs without a skip actually haha not sure why but the cd is fucking killer. Tre is pretty good its my second favorite of the trilogy Brutal love played and I was like holy shit this cd is gonna be fucking spectacular, most of it is really good Id say its more the direction they should have gone after 21st century if it had more distortion and less Billie backing vocals. I dont like the songs X-Kid/Amanda/99 Rev/The Forgotten. maybe a nimrod length cd would have been more appropriate im not sure but this is just my take on it. I have times where i get back into the trilogy songs but i definitely listen to everything else in the catalog way more than the trilogy.

• Like 3

Uno Filler tracks: 

Fell For You

Angel Blue

Sweet 16

Dos Filler tracks:

See You Tonight 

Makeout Party

Ashely

Lady Cobra 

Nightlife 

Tre Filler tracks: