Trilogy Discussion

18 minutes ago, walking_c0ntradicti0n said:

Did Amanda get played much on the trilogy tour? I'd like that one live probably

It was played at least one of the 2011 club shows-

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, _•Whatsername•_ said:

I like the Trilogy. I wouldn't say it's one of their best records but there are some really cool songs on Uno, Dos and Tre. I don't understand why many people hate it. Yeah, one can disagree and dislike it, but HATE is too much. 

This. I do not think it was their best music ever. There is no doubt about that. I just don't understand the hate that comes everyday since 2012 about it and the "cool" crowd shat on everyone and made them feel uncomfortable for liking it. Very uncalled for a forum that should feel comfortable talking about Green Day. I mean their is shittier records out there in life that the very same people love. Every song on the trilogy still beats what Blink 182 has done since like forever, MCR, Biffy Shitro, Panic At The Disco, and so on.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I feel like people hate on the trilogy just to get likes.

Im sure the members who do hate the trilogy will not even be bothered posting in here.  We had it for 3 years in the unpopular opinions thread as there was not much else happening.

Just now, Sarcasm said:

I see some shade and some love but nothing to back it up

do we really want to go there again:(

so here's my deal... I got into green day back in 96. I loved all their early stuff and i followed the band super close after nimrod came out. I liked warning when it came out. when american idiot came out, i wasn't into it, i kinda hated it. I've grown to like it though. I liked 21st century breakdown when it came out, but now i've grown to think it's mediocre. I was pretty excited when the trilogy came out, especially when i heard songs like stay the night, let yourself go, and nuclear family, which were reminiscent of classic Green Day. yes, the production sucks, and 75% of the songs have mediocre to awful lyrics, but I find that I listen to Uno and Dos more than AI and 21st. Insomniac, nimrod, and Kerplunk will always be my favorites, but even though the trilogy was hit or miss, it's what got me following green day closely again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

You have to remember that the trilogy didnt get much promotion.  If they are going to use DRB as a stadium sing a long there is a big chance it would flop.  Everyone that goes to a GD concert is not like us:lol:

Or it could be a highlight of the night. I can just picture it.

Billie Joe: Yeeeeaaaaahhh! Yeeeeeaahhh! Yeeeahhh!!  COME ON!!!!

Crowd: Yeeeeaaaahhh!! Yeeeaaaahhh! Yeeeeeeaaaahh!!!

Billie Joe: SAY HEY OHHHHH!!!!

Crowd: HEY OHHHHH!!!!

Billie Joe: (Insert City) PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR!!!! Calling all demons this is the season......

1 hour ago, Jake69 said:

I don't think they will play troublemaker live. It's one of the weaker songs on the trilogy.

Anybody who played the Green Day version of Angry Birds would know it

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Joe Van Winkle said:

Anybody who played the Green Day version of Angry Birds would know it

excuse me

I fucking love the trilogy. I think it's got some of Green Day's best songs, full stop. I'm also very scared we won't hear many (or any) trilogy songs live again due to its poor reception.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Z J said:

Or, maybe because a 37 song trilogy with tiny guitars, overproduced and uninspiring vocals, mid-life crisis induced lyrics about themes that hardly even seem connected to Billie Joe Armstrong, and absolutely zero room for Tre and Mike to show their talents was, y'know, a bad idea.

Exhibit A:

"Where did you come from?
Where have you been?
Looks like you fell into the trash bin"

From A Little Boy Named Train (shockingly, not nominated for record of the year)

B:

"Sex, drugs & violence
English, math & science,
Safety in numbers
Give me, give me danger"

From SD&V

C:

"Oh, anyhow, anywhere
Kiss me there, oh kiss me there
Oh, scream and shout, truth or dare
Kiss me there, oh kiss me there"

From Makeout Party

D:

"Where in the world’s the forgotten?
They’re lost inside your memory
You’re dragging on, your heart’s been broken
As we all go down in history"

and 

"Well, don’t look away from the arms of a bad dream
Don’t look away, sometimes you’re better lost than to be seen
Don’t look away from the arms of a moment
Don’t look away from the arms of tomorrow
Don’t look away from the arms of a moment
Don’t look away from the arms of love"

From the inimitable "The Forgotten"

E:

"Wanna be a Troublemaker
Wanna be a Troublemaker
Wanna be a Troublemaker
Wanna be a Troublemaker

Hey!
I like your BMW
I like your BM-excellent tits
With a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue"

From Troublemaker

F:

"Hanging out all by myself, at least I make good company
Hey, isn't that a whatshisface that I see walking down the street
I'm gonna hide in the shadows 'cause I really got nothing to say
We never had anything in common and I never liked you anyway"

From Loss of Control 

G:

"Everything that I want
I want from you
But I just can't have you
Everything that I need
I need from you
But I just can't have you"

From Stray Heart

Alright, there's what I am going to consider evidence of cliche, lazy, or subpar lyricism in the trilogy. There's many more examples, but there's a start. Now, if they had been making melodies/harmonies as tight as Kerplunk/Dookie or the instruments matched the level of Insomniac Warning or Nimrod, then maybe I'd let the lyrics go, hell I listen to music with far worse lines then this, but I've certainly come to realize Green Day are a standard of the norm, a HOF band that is worth more than the trilogy displayed

Very nice opinion.

• Haha 1

I think the lyrics are fun! Billie's vocals are as passionate as ever, although I can see why the vocal filter irritates some. As for drums and bass guitar, I think this is the best since at least Warning, maybe even Nimrod.

• Like 1

All I know is the Trilogy came out 4 years ago, and I still listen to it all the time. Not every day, but at least a couple times a week. I don't remember having that much love for any other Green Day album/era. I think it's just the headspace that Billie was in at the time is SO apparent in the music, and it's just really refreshing and honest. 

I guess all of that, combined with the fact they already had so much much success prior to the trilogy, and with the musical, made me just love it! They could have easily started to unwind and enjoy the fruits of their labor, but instead, not only decided to keep going strong, but 3 fold!

I really don't think it's possible that Green Day could have pulled this off without Billie going mad, which he did.. And I'm really excited to see what the new albums will sound like going forward. 

I know as individual albums, none of them are my favorites, but looking at all 3 together, and the idea, this might be my favourite project/era for sure. I just can't see how it can be topped, especially for a hardcore Green Day fan.

• Like 2

Let me end this topic! 

Maybe Trilogy is not the best ever but a more classic rock direction was a good step after AI and 21stCB and I even expect them further to have the new album more back to roots music in it. Those saying they should have put out only a single album are actually wrong. Trilogy was the best chance for them to make creative music and explore out more as musicians and if they'd have selected only few tracks which seems suitable, then the album would have turned out into nothing! So they definitely took right step to release it in three parts. Though there are many reasons why it didn't went much well:

1. This point has already been made before and I also felt it right. For making three differently styled albums, they should have selected three different studios for musical effects in the respective albums. Uno! should have been recorded in a more Dookie/Insomniac vibe into it with more downtunings and distortion. Dos! was done right, similar to Garage music with some retro elements and for Tre! production was the most important thing. It would have done very well if produced a bit more, similar to AI and 21stCB like "stadium punk".

2. Even during live performances around Trilogy, many classic songs like Welcome To Paradise and Basket Case were done somewhat in standard tunings which totally decreased the quality of those songs (like how it was done live in Irwing plaza). So, I'd say if standard tunings were avoided during recording of trilogy, then it would have been a complete different thing (in a way better way). Otherwise, drums and bass were good throughout.

3. It's well and good if you like the Trilogy lyrically but out of all the 11 albums, Dos! and Uno! are my least favourite lyrics and same with some of the songs from Tre!. Ok, I didn't expect Jesus Of Suburbia MK-II but it could have been written much more meaningfully.

Other than these, not much promoting of the albums, less no. of singles/videos were also the factors. Rest, I do appreciate the trilogy era and it's ultimately coming to an end.

• Like 1

Uno was probably the only album where on first listen I thought there were no bad songs on there. I still think so, it's an awesome album and I love it. It's in my top 4 GD albums for sure.

I like how they went back to their roots and started writing fun songs that we didn't get since after Warning. AI and 21CB were just horrible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

Uno was probably the only album where on first listen I thought there were no bad songs on there. I still think so, it's an awesome album and I love it. It's in my top 4 GD albums for sure.

I like how they went back to their roots and started writing fun songs that we didn't get since after Warning. AI and 21CB were just horrible.

I agree with everything you said except for the AI and 21CB part.

There's some great songs on all three albums, but some serious filler on all three. Imagine a single album with 15-18 tracks, could've been really really good

The trilogy isn't as bad as some make out, but not as fantastic as others claim, for me it's borderline mediocre

1 hour ago, Steven Seagull said:

Why would I take 15-18 tracks when I can have 37?

Because it means production can be more focused and then you ditch a load of the ones that are true horse shit. The problem is any more than 24 tracks is too much IMO and so the trilogy seems OTT as well as rather mediocre in parts.

4 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

Because it means production can be more focused and then you ditch a load of the ones that are true horse shit. The problem is any more than 24 tracks is too much IMO and so the trilogy seems OTT as well as rather mediocre in parts.

No way!

I'll take as many Green Day songs as possible. They were all great so your argument is invalid.

13 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

No way!

I'll take as many Green Day songs as possible. They were all great so your argument is invalid.

More doesn't mean better. There was definitely some filer on the trilogy. They would have been better off doing a two album set.