Trilogy Discussion

It's boring, repetitive and super overproduced for such a simple song. It works as the closing track on Uno but as the first single from the whole trilogy? Even "Carpe Diem" would have been a better choice.

• Sad 1

I agree with some opinions regarding production style in trilogy. Let Yourself Go should have been straight punk-tones rather than clean af guitars. Same goes to Loss of Control. However, Trilogy's guitar sound is fucking amazing especially during songs like Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Lazy Bones, Lady Cobra, Wow! That's Loud, Amanda, 8th Avenue Serenade and Missing You. Those songs would not be as good as they are with any other tones.

I don't get it why people like Demolicious versions more than studio albums. Sure, Baby Eyes and Nuclear Family sounds fucking amazing there, but everything else is just meh for me.

Edited by MiksuSH
Added things
  • Like 2

everybody agrees that some of the trilogy songs are mediocre but everyone points different ones and I think it's great. you can come to the conclusion that there is no objectively bad song ;P you can refer that way to each album, but in this case it's very clear.

my favorites are: Loss of Control, Kill the DJ, Angel Blue, Rusty James, Lazy Bones, Ashley, Stray Heart, Sex Drugs and Violence, The Forgotten, Dirty Rotten Bastards. My favorite number one is Lazy Bones and next probably Sex Drugs and Violence. Least favorites: Carpe Diem, Stop When The Red Lights Flash, Nightlife, Amanda, Little Boy Named Train.

sometimes I don't know my own feelings toward trilogy are. after premiere I had mixed feelings. on the one hand I love it, on the other hand - the overproduction, sterile and flat sound still disturb me.

I still consider trilogy as a bad idea. let's face it, only the biggest fans reached for trilogy, for the casual fans it was too much to digest. from the point of view of marketing, this was a bad move, but i think Green Day exactly knew it that there was a risk, but they  really didn't care about it. It was like, we have a lot of songs let's realise three albums in one year. pure spontaneity :P

• Like 3

On 6/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, WhiteTim said:

I like the trilogy but it’s not the greatest albums they’ve released my main issue is the production style they used on it the fake live setting production style which didn’t suit a lot of the songs on the albums imagine Let Yourself Go but instead of the clean tone they did it with the dirty tone like used on AI or Insomniac or DRB... 

there are some great songs scattered throughout the 3 albums along side good songs there’s none I’d say were bad or horrible songs 

There's way too much compression on the vocals and instruments. Compression used at that scale eventually kills off any dynamics the song has. Green Day is a band that uses dynamics. 

An example of this is Stay The Night. The live versions sound like a completely different song but the recorded version doesn't capture what was played live. 

I always wondered how the band sat there after the post production stuff was done and were like "ok let's send it out to the world". Maybe they had already booked promotional appearances and stuff? I'm not really sure what happened there especially when the band themselves have openly stated they were not happy with the production on it. 

• Like 3

Didn't Billie mention somewhere that he had to leave while the albums were being mixed? Could be that the band missed the opportunity to make changes in the post production.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Didn't Billie mention somewhere that he had to leave while the albums were being mixed? Could be that the band missed the opportunity to make changes in the post production.

That would make sense. If you're busy with other projects sometimes everything gets waysided.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnaggletoothRecords said:

There's way too much compression on the vocals and instruments. Compression used at that scale eventually kills off any dynamics the song has. Green Day is a band that uses dynamics. 

An example of this is Stay The Night. The live versions sound like a completely different song but the recorded version doesn't capture what was played live. 

Yep

Billie is stuck using those vocal filters and that’s fine and use the same settings when the music is recorded heavy like AI you couldn’t tell he was using filters on his vocals on AI until the Acapellas came out 

but recording the trilogy with clean tones and not such in your face they needed to adjust the vocal filters and they didn’t 

• Like 1

Green Day should do another Trilogy :)

Songs for !~*holes! 

Songs for the uninitiated! 

Songs for the True! 

• 1 year later...

I so mad about what they chose to do with it. When I listen to Demolicious, I wonder why they released the albums the way they did. I'm almost positive that if they kept that raw production sound, people would like it more. I think the only song in which I like the official album version more is Sex, Drugs, and Violence, but even that's just because of one little detail. If they rerecord the trilogy (I hope they do), they can just take the songs as they are on the album and record them like they did the demos. That would make it a million times better. 

I think the main complaints I have about the trilogy are: the back-up vocals are the worst thing in the world (but that's because of the way it's mixed), the drums sound weak, and the uber polished sound.

I could get over the fact that all the songs on Uno sound the same if I actually like the way they sound.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 12:16 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

What did you say?

It's a good user name, I will give it that.

On 11/7/2020 at 4:31 AM, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

I think the main complaints I have about the trilogy are: the back-up vocals are the worst thing in the world (but that's because of the way it's mixed), the drums sound weak, and the uber polished sound.

I could get over the fact that all the songs on Uno sound the same if I actually like the way they sound.

Yep, I have never believed any of the songs on the trilogy to be bad songs. For the most part they were just wasted potential. The fact that many of the songs sounded the same was just one issue.

I am with the guys who think the trilogy would have been so much better if it used similar instrumentation and tones to AI and 21CB as a base and then each of the songs were given more of a unique flavor (Take East Jesus Nowhere, Peacemaker and The Last Of The American Girls for example, they are completely different in almost every way and don't even sound like they belong on the same record, yet they work so well together because so much time was spent on focusing on the little things, like what parts each song plays in the bigger picture and on how they transition.)

This also kind of leads into the fact that each of the albums were so close to having distinct themes that tell a story across all three but instead it kind of became two somewhat focused albums and a mixed bag of great and weak songs.

The era in particular typically isn't really fondly remembered either. All the stuff the band went through as well as the general toxicity among the fan base at the time isn't something I want to think about much at all.

These days though, there's a few songs that I really like to come back to, I definitely have also to mention The Otis mixes and how they are massive improvements on the original songs and really give them the oomph that they needed. Overall though, I try not to spend too much time listening to the trilogy in it's original form as they're kind of a reminder of when the truly great Green Day material and eras came to an end, at least for me personally.

• 5 months later...

I really like the Trilogy very much too. It was the perfect follow up to 21CB. Seeing them in jeans and tshirts after nearly 10 years with ties and suits was really refreshing. It would have been amazing, when they released just 12-14 of the best songs and not 3 albums in such a short time. 

It's really funny to hear him talking about it then versus now.  All the interviews at the time were like what a cool idea this is and why not when we have all this music and we're so inspired right now, etc. and now he's just all "What the hell was I thinking that was insane!" 😄  Makes me wonder what he'll say about FOAM in five or ten years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Trilogy is my fav. It’s real and honest and good. A little rushed and a little much but so beautiful. It’s like a dirty sweet little diary. 

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

RevRad > Dos > Tré >> Uno >>>>> FOAMF

Uno > RevRad > Tre > Dos >>>>> FOAMF