Trilogy Stats

Justin1

I had some free time over the weekend, and seeing as how the new album is coming and The Trilogy will be behind us, I've compiled some stats about the Trilogy. Most of it is pretty obvious, but still interesting for anyone who has a fetish for numbers.

(Based on You Tube views and the highest viewed video for each song. Ordered by popularity)

Uno:  55,545,000 V (4,628,750 V per song)

1. Oh Love - 24M

2. Kill The DJ - 16M

3. Let Yourself Go - 4.1M

4. Stay The Night - 4M

5. Nuclear Family - 4M

6. Troublemaker - 2.3M

7. Fell For You - 233K

8. Carpe Diem - 230K

9. Sweet 16 - 207K

10. Angel Blue - 179K

11. Rusty James 172K

12. Loss of Control - 124K

Dos: 12,056,000 V (927,385 V per song)

1. Stray Heart - 10M

2. Amy - 495K

3. Lazy Bones - 416K

4. Fuck Time - 256K

5. Wild One - 177K

6. Stop When The Red Lights Flash - 171K

7. Nightlife - 139K

8. Baby Eyes - 94K

9. Wow! That's Loud! - 72K

10. Make-out Party - 69K

11. See You Tonight - 62K

12. Ashley - 58K

13. Lady Cobra - 47K

Tre: 15,225,000 V (1,268,750 V per song)

1. The Forgotten - 9.8M

2. X-Kid - 2.1M

3. Brutal Love - 1.1M

4. 99 Revolutions - 772K

5. Missing You - 444K

6. Dirty Rotten Bastards - 326K

7. Drama Queen - 157K

8. Walk Away - 157K

9. Amanda - 141K

10. Sex Drugs and Violence  - 117K

11. 8th Ave. Serenade - 84K

12. Little Boy Named Train - 27K

Based on these numbers, the order of popularity for each album is: (Based on 82,826,000 V)

1. Uno - 67%

2. Tre - 18%

3. Dos - 15%

The top 15 most popular Trilogy songs (Set up in a Green Day formulaic album type way)

11. 99 Revolutions

13. Missing You

3. Stray Heart

2. Kill The DJ

9. Troublemaker

6. X-Kid

10. Brutal Love

8. Nuclear Family

7. Stay The Night

5. Let Yourself Go

14. Lazy Bones

12. Amy

1. Oh Love

15. Dirty Rotten Bastards

4. The Forgotten

The 5 least popular trilogy songs:

1. Little Boy Named Train

2. Lady Cobra

3. Ashley

4. See you Tonight

5. Make-out Party

I pretty much agree with the numbers, and they match with 95% of my opinion. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but are a pretty decent indicator when looking at the Trilogy's Popularity objectively. I think that if they can still manage millions of views (in some cases 10's of millions) on over 10 songs in one time period, (even though it was 3 albums) I think it's clear they are still pretty relevant, and will maintain that with the new album. I was kind of surprised that 8th Ave. Serenade, Carpe Diem and Stop When The Red Lights Flash didn't get much attention. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your numbers don't substantiate the most popular and least popular list.

Views don't really mean much it doesn't cost people any money to listen to or watch videos on YouTube case in point a ice ice baby video uploaded 2 years ago has 3M views 

how many of those views resulted in album sales?

13 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Your numbers don't substantiate the most popular and least popular list.

I know they aren't 100% accurate, but think they are as good an indicator as any. They might not be your favorites, but I think they represent the most popular, and songs that the average listener or browser would know or like about the trilogy.

Just now, Justin1 said:

I know they aren't 100% accurate, but think they are as good an indicator as any. They might not be your favorites, but I think they represent the most popular, and songs that the average listener or browser would know or like about the trilogy.

You most popular lists 99 Revolutions as the most popular, but that had only 772K views, while Oh Love had 24M.  Based on the numbers your provided, Oh Love is most popular, the rest of the list is also incorrect.     

4 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

You most popular lists 99 Revolutions as the most popular, but that had only 772K views, while Oh Love had 24M.  Based on the numbers your provided, Oh Love is most popular, the rest of the list is also incorrect.    

To the hard core fans like us, obviously 99 revolutions is way more popular than troublemaker. But there were millions of people that played angry birds and watched the troublemaker video and were exposed to the trilogy that way. I think Oh love is way more popular that 99 revolutions though, both objective and subjectively. I think the only reason we heard 99 so much was because of Billie's love of playing it. Oh Love will still be a huge sing along anthem that people will love to hear live instead of a song Billie's forcing the fans to hear and sing along with to make it seem like it's a big epic Green Day song lol.

Just now, Justin1 said:

To the hard core fans like us, obviously 99 revolutions is way more popular than troublemaker. But there were millions of people that played angry birds and watched the troublemaker video and were exposed to the trilogy that way. I think Oh love is way more popular that 99 revolutions though, both objective and subjectively. I think the only reason we heard 99 so much was because of Billie's love of playing it. Oh Love will still be a huge sing along anthem that people will love to hear live instead of a song Billie's forcing the fans to hear and sing along with to make it seem like it's a big epic Green Day song lol.

You supplied stats to show what was the most popular songs and then used your subjective opinion to say what was the most popular??  Dr. Venkman, you are a poor scientist.

2 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

You supplied stats to show what was the most popular songs and then used your subjective opinion to say what was the most popular??  Dr. Venkman, you are a poor scientist.

It's my personal opinion that Oh Love is both the most popular song on the trilogy, and the overall most popular based on the numbers. If they are going to keep any song alive through live playing from the trilogy and I had to bet on one, it would be Oh Love. lol!

7 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Basically 

going by his numbers top three is Oh Love Stray Heart and Forgotten 

17 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Basically 

going by his numbers top three is Oh Love Stray Heart and Forgotten 

1. Oh Love

2. Kill The DJ

3. Stray Heart

4. The Forgotten

5. Let Yourself Go

The songs that got official videos are the ones that got millions. If the a Green Day youtube channel released an official video for any of these songs, they all would've got millions of views. Troublemaker is considered by many to be one of the worse songs from the trilogy, yet still has millions of views only because Green day chose to make a video for that.

You also need to take into account the like:dislike ratio for all these videos. Some songs have more dislikes than others despite having more views. Kill the DJ while it has the 2nd most amount of views probably has a higher dislike ratio than the rest of the songs

16 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

The songs that got official videos are the ones that got millions. If the a Green Day youtube channel released an official video for any of these songs, they all would've got millions of views. Troublemaker is considered by many to be one of the worse songs from the trilogy, yet still has millions of views only because Green day chose to make a video for that.

You also need to take into account the like:dislike ratio for all these videos. Some songs have more dislikes than others despite having more views. Kill the DJ while it has the 2nd most amount of views probably has a higher dislike ratio than the rest of the songs

I see your point, but I don't think the word 'popular' necessarily means 'good' or 'liked'.. I think that's just a stigma attached with the word. To me it just means 'a lot of publicity'. Troublemaker got a lot of attention at the beginning of the trilogy because we heard it before it came out, and it was an achievement on angry birds.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm just saying all the songs could've done as well if they were given official videos etc. 

Btw, how did you make the list of most popular songs? Why is 99 Revolution no. 1 with only 772k views.

2 hours ago, Justin1 said:

If they are going to keep any song alive through live playing from the trilogy and I had to bet on one, it would be Oh Love. lol!

I completely disagree. "99 Revolutions" was the only one Green Day played last year at the House of Blues (Clevleand, OH) show (according to setlist.fm) so I'd place my bets more on that one. Also, in August 2013, when they were doing Dookie live in full, they were playing 5 songs off the trilogy and "Oh Love" was not one of them. Same with the Australian 2014 tour, 3-5 trilogy songs, none of them were "Oh Love".

2 hours ago, Justin1 said:

1. Oh Love

2. Kill The DJ

3. Stray Heart

4. The Forgotten

5. Let Yourself Go

Ah forgot about looking at kill the DJ lol 

46 minutes ago, velvetgrass said:

I completely disagree. "99 Revolutions" was the only one Green Day played last year at the House of Blues (Clevleand, OH) show (according to setlist.fm) so I'd place my bets more on that one. Also, in August 2013, when they were doing Dookie live in full, they were playing 5 songs off the trilogy and "Oh Love" was not one of them. Same with the Australian 2014 tour, 3-5 trilogy songs, none of them were "Oh Love".

Well, I guess we'll just have to see! I really think playing 99 revolutions is mostly for Billie. I can see it disappearing completely for the next tour similarly to how 21st century breakdown did. Oh Love to me is one of the best song they've written.. Just my opinion.

With all respect, but your numbers are all over the place. You start off by listing the most popular trilogy songs per album based on the amount of views on YouTube and then you show a most popular top 15 list of the trilogy overall which is based on your personal opinion I think? And you conclude with a least popular top 5 which is, again, just based on the YouTube views.

In my opinion, the most popular and least popular list should at least be based on the same thing, leaving behind the fact that it does or does not make any sense. If the most popular list is based on "a Green Day formulaic album type way" then so should the least popular list.

And I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to bring across with these lists. You go from YouTube views to personal opinion back to YouTube views. It leaves me completely puzzled.

4 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

With all respect, but your numbers are all over the place. You start off by listing the most popular trilogy songs per album based on the amount of views on YouTube and then you show a most popular top 15 list of the trilogy overall which is based on your personal opinion I think? And you conclude with a least popular top 5 which is, again, just based on the YouTube views.

In my opinion, the most popular and least popular list should at least be based on the same thing, leaving behind the fact that it does or does not make any sense. If the most popular list is based on "a Green Day formulaic album type way" then so should the least popular list.

And I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to bring across with these lists. You go from YouTube views to personal opinion back to YouTube views. It leaves me completely puzzled.

Everything I listed was based on YouTube views as a sample, and not my personal opinion. The only list I mixed up a little was the top 15 songs, so I guess that 1 list was personal opinion, but it was still the top 15 songs based on YouTube views, just not in order.

It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, but I'm sure this list would be 95% similar to any other platform that sells or plays Green Day.

17 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

they said they organized it like an album, not in the order they were popular.  You're slipping JJ1964.    Also, this looks like a post I would have made.  

2 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

they said they organized it like an album, not in the order they were popular.  You're slipping JJ1964.    Also, this looks like a post I would have made.  

I am not slipping darling, I am a statistician.  What he posted makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  He said he posted the most popular Trilogy songs and later clarified that the most popular list was actually his opinion, not based on the numbers he provided.

Nice try though.

The Trilogy is the greatest thing Green Day have done so far.  

13 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

proof that the trilogy is fucking awful garbage. 

How? There are quite a few views on most of the singles which shows that there was quite a bit of interest.

Plus hiw do these numbers prove one person's opinion? :I can just as easily say that these numbers show that night wish sucks because there are 24 m people that chose to watch oh love instead of listening to nightwish

Just now, JJ1964 said:

How? There are quite a few views on most of the singles which shows that there was quite a bit of interest.

Plus hiw do these numbers prove one person's opinion? :I can just as easily say that these numbers show that night wish sucks because there are 24 m people that chose to watch oh love instead of listening to nightwish

i just really hate the sound. Trilogy is sub par to any other album GD has done. 

Just now, Jake69 said:

Booooo you stink

just because i hate the trilogy

Archived