[speculation] Green Day could play Broken Guitars party this Saturday?

Liam

Billie Joe and Bill Schneiders guitar store, Broken Guitars, are hosting the 40th Street Block Party this Saturday (16th July). The event includes lots of live bands including One Less Zero (Tre's wifes band) and Jakob Danger (Billie's son) on the bill.

Being that Billie is attached to the store and their family members are playing, it's quite possible that Green Day could be one of the "special guests" for the day. Seeing how close we are to some kind of announcement, might be a good place for them to try out the new songs, or even just play some olds ones.

Of course this is just pure speculation at this point but I figure this will make some great conversation until we find out.

Facebook event

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it does make sense why they might play and announce something at this event, but wouldn't be a bit weird to make such a major announcement as A NEW GREEN DAY RECORD at some small local block party? Doesn't seem right to me is all.

Yeah, but it would be great if they played just a random show too. It's been so long. I happen to be in Cali this summer, so think I'm gonna go, anyone else?

Chances are low, cause i don't think Billie would steal spotlight from his son. 

I think 2 and a half men would be great, but Joey's on tour with SWMRS right now. I'm gonna go seem them tomorrow night though

Dang, won't be in cali til like February... If they show up... Enjoy!

I very much doubt they'd make any sort of official announcement there - it just wouldn't reach as many people as it could.  Sure, we as fans will all know about it, but the average 'I kinda like Green Day but don't really follow them' guy wouldn't be reached as well as if the announcement was made through conventional means.

It's slightly more likely that the band may play there, but I still don't think there gonna play any new stuff.  They've been keeping their cards so close to their chest so far that I think it's hugely unlikely that's gonna change suddenly now.  Will they play a small set of 'classic'/well known Green Day songs?  Possibly, but only if they could find a way to do it without stealing the show from their loved ones.  Maybe they could come on and play with Jakob Danger or One Less Zero as part of their respective sets.  

I think the most likely thing to happen, if GD are involved, is a Foxboro Hot Tubs show.  That's not too big that it'll completely steal the show from their families, it won't reveal too much of the new material, keeping the hype and speculation going while generating more of its own, and they're certainly big enough to be special guests.

9 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

I very much doubt they'd make any sort of official announcement there - it just wouldn't reach as many people as it could.  Sure, we as fans will all know about it, but the average 'I kinda like Green Day but don't really follow them' guy wouldn't be reached as well as if the announcement was made through conventional means.

Yeah I wouldn't think it would be an actual announcement, just a show. I feel like it would be a good place for them to debut songs because it being such a small event means they aren't going to get much attention. They could play to the public but not have a huge worry about people recording them and releasing it to the public.

I think a surprise performance isn't very unlikely. I'm not sure if they will play new songs but they might just do a first Green Day performance since a while, just to warm up.

This is the best opportunity to perform a new song live, if you ask me. It is surely a low key bloc party-like occasion, but isn't that what they are looking for? If the album is about to come very soon there's nothing unlikely in it and it will be more like a blast out of nowhere.

13 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

I think a surprise performance isn't very unlikely. I'm not sure if they will play new songs but they might just do a first Green Day performance since a while, just to warm up.

Agreed. Even if they wanted to do a trilogy style thing where they debuted some songs live (which I doubt, seems like they've been there and done that now and are being more secretive this time around) I don't think this would really be the place for it, the thing to do is just play some songs not steal the spotlight from all the other bands. It's possible but I think probably not.  And they're not going to make "an announcement" at a little local show lol (again stealing the spotlight plus it wouldn't be much use in front of hardly any people), something like the Grammys is more their style if they were going to do that. 

A little surprise performance would be very cool, hope so!

5 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

Speculation != rumor

Thank you. Can the title of this thread be changed? It's very misleading.

While yes, they could play (and I would love them to), I don't think we can stretch this to even consider it a rumor. There is absolutely zero indication the band is playing. As of a couple days ago, Mike was in Newport Beach and Billie Joe has been in Huntington Beach (both just south of Los Angeles). Sure, they could get back to Oakland in no time but it seems as if they're having a little get away before things pick up again.

I actually think the special guests might be them. They could play new songs (unlikely), or say something about the new album (possible), maybe just a small reference.... It would still be useful for us to understand something. 

2 hours ago, Matt. said:

Thank you. Can the title of this thread be changed? It's very misleading.

While yes, they could play (and I would love them to), I don't think we can stretch this to even consider it a rumor. There is absolutely zero indication the band is playing. As of a couple days ago, Mike was in Newport Beach and Billie Joe has been in Huntington Beach (both just south of Los Angeles). Sure, they could get back to Oakland in no time but it seems as if they're having a little get away before things pick up again.

i got u fam

Does anyone know why everyone knew that they were gonna play Gilman that one time in recent years then? Who actually leaked the info, or was that speculation too?

Edit: That one in 2015, not 2001

I saw this too. Since I live in Oakland and I already hang out there, I am going anyway. I do wonder if green day will play. I doubt it but am hopeful. I don't think it would be AT broken guitars, because I think the stage is on the street, but will see what happens!

35 minutes ago, IsaGreenDay said:

Seems like Jakob won't be playing anymore.

Where do you see that?

7 minutes ago, Matt. said:

Where do you see that?

His band's Instagram (@danger.ca) just posted: "Hey everyone. Unfortunately we will not be playing at the 40th st. block party. Keep your eyes open for future shows."

21 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

So does that mean green day is less likely to play now?

It's never been rumored or hinted they were going to play. But, I don't see why this would make a difference. Probably depends on why he can't play, like if it's a family matter. I don't like to speculate about that stuff though.

It could be, either for his family or that of the other members. In the comments someone asked if they will still be attending, and they responded that they wouldn't be in the vicinity at all.

6 hours ago, strangestat said:

Does anyone know why everyone knew that they were gonna play Gilman that one time in recent years then? Who actually leaked the info, or was that speculation too?

• Lindsay locked this topic

Archived