Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

Billie Hoe

game
Pokémon GO

320 posts in this topic

Okay I've been obsessing about this App since it came out four days ago and in the last three days I've walked about 30km, trying to catch Pokémon. I think this is more than I've walked in the past few months altogether :D I love this game so much and not only is it exciting, it's also bringing me and my brother more closely together (we're both obsessing about it and taking walks together and messaging each other all the time) and it's shown positive effects on people with mental illnesses, which is really awesome.

What do you think about it? How many Pokémon have you caught? What kind??? 

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Juste Bro said:

Okay I've been obsessing about this App since it came out four days ago and in the last three days I've walked about 30km, trying to catch Pokémon. I think this is more than I've walked in the past few months altogether :D I love this game so much and not only is it exciting, it's also bringing me and my brother more closely together (we're both obsessing about it and taking walks together and messaging each other all the time) and it's shown positive effects on people with mental illnesses, which is really awesome.

What do you think about it? How many Pokémon have you caught? What kind??? 

I've not played the game, and don't intend to even look into playing until after my exams :P

The mental health implications could be interesting.  Atm the evidence is only anecdotal, and thus very weak.  They've missed a massive opportunity for groundbreaking mental health research, imagine if they'd commissioned a study into it based around the app.  I reckon we'll see research like this in the near future, it could be a promising non-pharmaceutical treatment option.  You would, of course, have to look at the negative effects of playing the game too.  Use as rehab could be good, but having it as your long term lifestyle could have a negative impact.

Sorry for the nerd-bomb :P  It's a really cool sounding game though, I'd love to check it out!

1 person likes this

some of my roads i walk on have no sidewalks and always have cars going on it. so the very little area i can travel by myself is limiting my pokemon. 

20 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

some of my roads i walk on have no sidewalks and always have cars going on it. so the very little area i can travel by myself is limiting my pokemon. 

how big is the town you live in? :D It really works in your favor if you live in a bigger suburb and not a village. We have like ~25 pokestops in our town and my cousin has ONE by their church. :D 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

:lol: 

No joke I almost got a Persian today but it was in/next to a Church, and I thought it might be a little disrespectful to walk around playing Pokemon

I've actually had trouble finding Pokemon today. I follow a Pokemon right until it says I'm on top of it. My icon will be standing directly in the middle of the bullseye. But nothing shows up?

1 person likes this

I've played when the servers have actually been working, which isn't that often. 

1 person likes this

I'M TOTALLY NOT ADDICTED OR ANYTHING :mellow:

Why the hell is it not on play store yet?!! It's been days.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

Why the hell is it not on play store yet?!! It's been days.

It is on Android, it's not available in Europe yet though. =/

17 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

It is on Android, it's not available in Europe yet though. =/

Still you can download it from other platforms. Idk how it works in detail but I'm living in Germany and my flat mates are playing it and a good friend of mine also plays it.

I missed Pokemon by a few years so I have very little interest in actually playing. I downloaded it and checked it out just to see what it was about. I really like the idea that it's an augmented realty game that has people roaming around. That's a very cool idea and it's nice to see that it's taken off the way it has. 

Be careful everyone, there was a big thing on the news about how people are luring people to locations with the app and then robbing them.  I don't know how the app works, but I am assuming that is possible.

2 people like this

been loving this, been out riding my bike round town catching as many as i can!

I'm still waiting for it to come out in my country, it should be available on the 15th. I could download it anyway but to be honest it's just another 4 days, I can live with that. It sounds awesome though, I can't wait to try it! If only it weren't so hot outside :wacko:

HURRY UP AND COME OUT IN CANADA :runaround: 

4 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Be careful everyone, there was a big thing on the news about how people are luring people to locations with the app and then robbing them.  I don't know how the app works, but I am assuming that is possible.

It happened in one place. I don't think it's an epidemic or anything.

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

It happened in one place. I don't think it's an epidemic or anything.

I didn't say that it was, I just said to be careful.  I was being motherly.

1 person likes this

I must be the only one  who doesn't even know what Pokemons are. :lol:

There were reports of peoples accounts/phones being banned if they downloaded the app before it was officially released. Don't know if any of them were true or if it was an empty threat.
Heard about the robbery things. As immersed as people are in the app, they still do need to be aware of their surroundings and mindful of the situations they place themselves in.

I was trying to catch an Eevee on my way from college and found a dog. A real dog.

I was walking towards an field, chasing my Eevee, and suddenly this big, black dog came running towards me. I petted him and looked around for a person but there was no one around. He then picked up a huge ass BRANCH and gave it to me. I threw it, but not very far because I suck :P he brought it back and I tried to take it but he wouldn't let go and started crying because I didn't let go? I think? It sounded very whiny. It was quite funny :D But there was still no one coming and I thought "Oh shit, what am I going to do? I can't take him home with me!" so I encouraged him to come with me and looked for his owner but I saw now one. I didn't want to call the police. Then I noticed there was an address and a number written on his collar, so I called the number, and a very tired sounding person picked up.
I said "I'm here in [town] and I found your dog?"
"... my dog?"
"... yeah...?"
"Oh, I didn't even notice he was gone." 
Thankfully we were still right in front of their house, so he didn't run very far. But you can't just let your gate open like that when your dog is outside? What the hell? They live RIGHT NEXT TO the railtracks (not even 50m) and trains come every 15 minutes, something could have happened to that dog! And that person didn't even say thank you. I wish I could have taken him with me, he was so cute! A bit excited but still cute! 

So yeah, looked for an Eevee, found a dog. Looked for it later but didn't find it again. But I found one later in my town, and a Pikachu :D 

2 people like this

ok the servers suck major ass. if this isn't resolved soon i'm deleting the app. 

I'm not sure if I'll play this game, but I did resume playing Alpha Sapphire. I still can't decide if I like or hate this app. On one hand, my gf wants to go out on walks all the time to find Pokemon, which is nice. On the other she's staring at her phone more than she normally does and it's annoying. -_-

Everyone in the office couldn't stop talking about this today. It's hilarious to see everyone so immersed in it and mesmerized by it, even if they don't have a clue what's going on. The local sheriff posted a (terribly) Photoshopped picture of their K-9 tracking down a Pikachu outside their offices. The Ohio Statehouse retweeted my tweet about their Pokestop and now they're promoting it, too. The editors trusted the college interns' judgment enough to let them do a story about it and they even pitched it for the front page after they learned more about the craze. A majority the police scanner traffic we heard this weekend was police confused about why there were so many groups of people congregating downtown, because it's usually a ghost town down here on the weekends. I've never seen so many people in the Statehouse parks, either.

Honestly, when this app came out I doubted it could do the things it intended to do — get people outside and exercising, bring strangers together to bond, offer a fun game without being too gimmicky or overly relying on nostalgia... but boy, was I wrong! It's so heartwarming to see so many groups of people coming together for something so innocent and fun. It's a shame people are already over-emphasizing the potential negatives of the game, because there are so many positives, and of the millions of people playing it this weekend, I've heard of only a few problems. People are unfortunately believing some satirical news stories are true, and also reading "news stories" that are based solely on social media posts and anecdotes and then calling the game dangerous.

Its actually pretty awesome - its made everyone get out and exercise - although my daughter said there were 3 outside her bedroom window but it was too cold to bother:happy: