In Defense Of Green Day’s Trilogy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/14/2016 at 9:10 PM, JJ1964 said:

No, not at all.  For me, if I had to rank the albums, Insomniac would be 10 of 11.  It's all good, everyone likes different things.  But, us poor trilogy lovers need to fight for equal rights sometimes.

Insomniac is a great album.   We've all got our favorites though and for me, it's just not in my top choices.  I'm an Idiot/Nimrod/Warning kind of person.   It's okay if you're an Insomniac/Dos/Dookie kind of person.   I'm dumb and you can't sleep, it's all good.   :)

Just now, thatdude03 said:

Insomniac is a great album.   We've all got our favorites though and for me, it's just not in my top choices.  I'm an Idiot/Nimrod/Warning kind of person.   It's okay if you're an Insomniac/Dos/Dookie kind of person.   I'm dumb and you can't sleep, it's all good.   :)

What???  I have no idea what you just said.  

I never said that I did not like Insomniac, I do.  I just feel it is one of their weaker efforts

36 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

What???  I have no idea what you just said.  

I never said that I did not like Insomniac, I do.  I just feel it is one of their weaker efforts

Guess I should have quoted the guy that quoted me that you quoted.  Now everyone's confused.   I agree with you - Insomniac is one of their weaker efforts.  

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find a design that goes along with this new tattoo I'm getting.  The design I want is awesome but has a Red Hot Chili Peppers Asterick in it, and while I love the Peppers I don't want this entire tattoo being an RHCP tattoo.   I'm searching for something more timeless, but special.   Trying to find a piece of Green Day art that isn't obviously them.     

I have a question for @JJ1964. When you said that the angry feels force in insomniac, is their one song that stands out to you? Cause I feel all the songs on their are genuine anger.  

2 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

I have a question for @JJ1964. When you said that the angry feels force in insomniac, is their one song that stands out to you? Cause I feel all the songs on their are genuine anger.  

There are many reasons I feel Insomniac is one of their weaker efforts.  

One thing that makes GD great, in my opinion, is their ability and willingness to always try something just a little different, something a little out of the box for them.  Whether they succeeded is personal opinion.  But, Insomniac is the only album where they did not do that.  It is the same 3 chord, power chord songs.  There is some growth in Billie's lyrics, but it is really just the same 3 chord power chord songs.   You get to Nimrod and they throw in some strings and an oompah band song.  Warning has alot of folk based inspirations, etc.  There is none of that on Insomniac.

To answer your question on the anger issue, the whole album feels forced to me.  They had alot of back lash that they were "not punk", so to me it feels like school yard anger.  Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah.  I am punk, I will show you.  The anger is just very forced.  

I will reiterate, I don't dislike Insomniac.  I like it very much.  I just feel it is one of their weaker efforts.  

I don't think the anger on Insomniac was forced at all. They put 14 songs together and released an album a year and a half after dookie came out, so maybe it was a little rushed but not forced, the inspiration was definitely there. the anger seems genuine to me, look at a lot of interviews from back then, they definitely seem miserable and the anger shows in a lot of live performances, like when they played 86 on Letterman. Mike said in an interview that he wished that their shows were about a quarter of the size that they were, and that they had a lot of casual fans and they felt a lot of people who bought their albums weren't genuinely into the music. maybe insomniac was an attempt to be more punk and turn off casual fans, i dunno, but it doesn't matter, we're never getting another one. It was a reactionary album and they will never put out an album like that again.

as for the musical growth, yeah maybe there wasn't any in the songwriting, but I feel that as a band their performance was a lot tighter than it was on dookie, they seemed more fine tuned. I like how there's no solos and billie just lets mike and tre go nuts to fill the songs out, they're a great rhythm section. In my opinion the songs didn't call for solos, but I know people on here will disagree with that.

9 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

It was a reactionary album and they will never put out an album like that again.

Good

I like the trilogy. It's not their best work, but it works. Brutal Love is simply amazing, for me.

4 minutes ago, Bruno Schmitt Lisboa said:

I like the trilogy. It's not their best work, but it works. Brutal Love is simply amazing, for me.

Truly Im not stalking you.

31 minutes ago, Bruno Schmitt Lisboa said:

I've just recently got really into Brutal Love.  I love what how they've built on 'Bring it Home to me' and really made it their own song.  There's a lot of feeling in it that I don't think quite comes across on the first listen, but as a song it's really grown on me.

1 hour ago, Second favourite son said:

I've just recently got really into Brutal Love.  I love what how they've built on 'Bring it Home to me' and really made it their own song.  There's a lot of feeling in it that I don't think quite comes across on the first listen, but as a song it's really grown on me.

I also didn't take it much into me at first. But after some months I was listening to a lot of Frank Sinatra, and then the brass instruments made me feel in love.

2 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Truly Im not stalking you.

Of course not. Why would anybody? As Green Day fans we are just simply unaware of social boundaries.

10 hours ago, Second favourite son said:

I think Brutal Love is one of their best songs ever.  Like you said truly heart felt.  Also, musically it is different for them, it is in 6/8 timing and has a key change.   

It's one of the songs that tug at my heartstrings even though I haven't really found a definite interpretation of it. The emotions simply flow from it, it must be so strong live. I do hope Brutal Love will stay on the setlist. 

46 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

It's one of the songs that tug at my heartstrings even though I haven't really found a definite interpretation of it. The emotions simply flow from it, it must be so strong live. I do hope Brutal Love will stay on the setlist. 

It's one of those songs that should always end up on their setlist. It's a shame that song never got much exposure, even though it probably wouldn't have worked as a single. But it's such a wonderful emotional song.

3 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

It's one of those songs that should always end up on their setlist. It's a shame that song never got much exposure, even though it probably wouldn't have worked as a single. But it's such a wonderful emotional song.

I watched a live video of it for the first time only about a month ago and was in awe. I do wish to hear it live. It wouldn't have done bad, it's an unusual song for them but it might stand out because it's less schematic than most music you hear on the radio.

Archived