In Defense Of Green Day’s Trilogy

Dos would have been good had they removed Nightlife and the bogus songs. Same with Tre. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

Dos would have been good had they removed Nightlife and the bogus songs. Same with Tre. 

Dos has some of the best song in the trilogy. 

In all honesty, the majority of Uno and Tre were good. Dos was the weak link of the three. I reckon they could have just released a double album with 20-24 tracks in total. Singles should have been Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go, X-Kid, Stray Heart and Stay the Night.  My track list would have been:

Disc 1:

1. Nuclear Family

2. Stay the Night

3. Missing You

4. 8th Avenue Serenade

5. Let Yourself Go

6. Lazy Bones

7. Kill the DJ

8. A Little Boy Named Train

9. 99 Revolutions

10. Dirty Rotten Bastards

Disc 2:

1. Brutal Love

2. Fuck Time

3. Walk Away

4. Carpe Diem

5. X-Kid

6. Stray Heart

7. Loss of Control

8. Baby Eyes (Demolicious intro)

9. Rusty James (Last Gang in Town)

10. Oh Love

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line is that the trilogy would have done well had it not been for Billie's "rehab stint".   Before that happened Green Day was preparing to take over the world with the three albums.  Angry birds, CSI, music videos, non stop tour dates and tv appearances.   I believe they would have probably done at least two or three singles from each record and the songs would have had moderate success.   

The writer has a point that everyone can choose their favorites and that art is subjective but even as a biased fan who enjoys the albums, I can't deny they could have done better. It just doesn't feel like a finished product.

1 hour ago, thatdude03 said:

Bottom line is that the trilogy would have done well had it not been for Billie's "rehab stint".   Before that happened Green Day was preparing to take over the world with the three albums.  Angry birds, CSI, music videos, non stop tour dates and tv appearances.   I believe they would have probably done at least two or three singles from each record and the songs would have had moderate success.   

Oh Love was out when the band was active and it wasn't a big hit for them 

did the rehab hurt yes but in all seriousness the albums wouldn't have had a major spike in sales if the band was touring as word of mouth still plays a huge part and outside of some  people on GDC I don't know anyone who really likes the trilogy at all escp enough to buy 3 albums 

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Oh Love was out when the band was active and it wasn't a big hit for them 

did the rehab hurt yes but in all seriousness the albums wouldn't have had a major spike in sales if the band was touring as word of mouth still plays a huge part and outside of some  people on GDC I don't know anyone who really likes the trilogy at all escp enough to buy 3 albums 

I have to disagree.  Oh Love was getting huge airplay, on the verge of being over played.  I know Howard STern used to rave about how much he loved the song.  Then the airplay stopped when iHeart happened.

Also, there are tons of people that like the trilogy, me included.    

7 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I have to disagree.  Oh Love was getting huge airplay, on the verge of being over played.  I know Howard STern used to rave about how much he loved the song.  Then the airplay stopped when iHeart happened.

Also, there are tons of people that like the trilogy, me included.    

your area may have been getting huge radio play but I was in LA at that time LA is home of one of the biggest radio stations and they never played it repeatedly they kept playing Basket Case Longview AI and Holiday I heard it once while they played Holiday alone over 8-9 times in a week Texas was the same as well 

i said aside from the board I don't know a single person in real life that likes more than a few songs if tons of people really liked it then sales would be a lot higher wouldn't it? 256k copies for Uno (the only album of the trilogy that had decent sales*) 

*= I'm only using the U.S. Sales 

Aside from this board I don't know a single person in real life who knows the trilogy exists!! I have never ever heard any of the trilogy songs on the radio but then again remember the BBC decided Green Day weren't good enough to be played on BBC radio 1 due to the trilogy. 

Here's an extract from an interview about why the head of BBC radio banned Green Day in 2013.

Ergatoudis spoke about both bands’ presence (or, lack there of) on BBC Radio 1 in a recent interview with Music Week.

In regards to Green Day: “The last Green Day project simply wasn’t good enough.”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/bbc-radio-1-boss-says-green-day-and-muses-music-isnt-good-enough-to-be-played-on-air/

So the trilogy actually resulted in all their music being banned off a radio station because it was deemed so terrible.  Yep. Lack of promotion seriously wasn't the root of the problem with these awful albums :lol:

4 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

your area may have been getting huge radio play but I was in LA at that time LA is home of one of the biggest radio stations and they never played it repeatedly they kept playing Basket Case Longview AI and Holiday I heard it once while they played Holiday alone over 8-9 times in a week Texas was the same as well 

i said aside from the board I don't know a single person in real life that likes more than a few songs if tons of people really liked it then sales would be a lot higher wouldn't it? 256k copies for Uno (the only album of the trilogy that had decent sales*) 

*= I'm only using the U.S. Sales 

I'm in NY, not exactly a tiny market.  

Oh Love debuted on September 1.  iHeart was September 22.  It debuted at #1 on the Rock Charts.  On 9/22/12, it was still at #1.  On 9/23/12, the day after iHeart, dropped to #2.  By 9/30/12, it was off the charts.  It debuted at #7 on the alternative charts and peaked at #3.  

It was doing well.

Many casual fans don't know the trilogy well because all the promotion stopped.  Many fans only know the hits and are not psycho fans like us.  So, if an album is not promoted many people won't hear it.  Plus, after iHeart, many casual fans lost some interest.  I'm not saying the trilogy would have been hugely successful, but Billie's rehab greatly affected it.  Oh Love was on a track to do well.

On the good side, most casual fans have forgotten about iHeart.

In regards to "Oh Love", it was the bands first song ever to debut at Number One on the Charts.   Uno had two other singles with "Let Yourself Go" doing okay and "Kill the DJ" sort of did nothing at all.  If things had happened differently Dos and Tre could have given the world some singles that peaked the worlds interest.    "Stray Heart" never got anyone's attention but "Lazy Bones" or "Baby Eyes" could have been hits, and "Amy" could have done Dos some good too.  Again, the ones that were released could have been hits had the band or even the record company pushed just a little bit.      

With Tre, there was so much potential there.   "The Forgotten" and "X-Kid" could have been decent hits had they been promoted correctly.  A song can't become a hit if not one radio station even tries to spin it.   I love "X-Kid", it's one of my favorites from the trilogy.   One of my favorite Green Day songs ever.     Dos didn't have any stand out singles but Tre has some tracks that could have rocked the world.    "Brutal Love", "Missing You", "Walk Away" and "99 Revolutions" all could have been great singles.   If the band would have ended the promotion of the Trilogy with a barrage of singles, some of them would have stuck.  

Of course I would have wanted them to go nuts and release all 37 as singles, but maybe next time every song will be a smash.  As for the Trilogy (God rest its soul) I think three singles from each with a ton of promotion would have saved it.  Perhaps it wouldn't have been a mega hit but maybe Warning or Insomniac level success.  

At this point in the game, how devastated would we be if they announced that instead of a new record they were going to go back and promote the crap out of Dos and Tre to try and make them a delayed hit?     I waited and waited for singles but so much time has passed.........oh that would send some of us into a rage.    It would be great.   Sort of.        

1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

I'm in NY, not exactly a tiny market.  

Oh Love debuted on September 1.  iHeart was September 22.  It debuted at #1 on the Rock Charts.  On 9/22/12, it was still at #1.  On 9/23/12, the day after iHeart, dropped to #2.  By 9/30/12, it was off the charts.  It debuted at #7 on the alternative charts and peaked at #3.  

It was doing well.

Many casual fans don't know the trilogy well because all the promotion stopped.  Many fans only know the hits and are not psycho fans like us.  So, if an album is not promoted many people won't hear it.  Plus, after iHeart, many casual fans lost some interest.  I'm not saying the trilogy would have been hugely successful, but Billie's rehab greatly affected it.  Oh Love was on a track to do well.

On the good side, most casual fans have forgotten about iHeart.

I totally agree. Green Day can still have successful singles as long as they get good promotion, which didn't happen with the trilogy. Oh Love was doing well and I'm sure if GD were able to promote their albums more, it would have done even better, as would the rest of the singles and the sales of the albums

Did we ever get confirmation on what the planned singles were?   

If you go by the stickers on the cds it would have been:

Uno - Oh Love, Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go

Dos -  Stray Heart, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash

Tre - X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade, The Forgotten

8th Avenue Serenade is only surprise there but it could have done okay I guess.   I'm a big fan on quantity (quality is okay but lots of it is even better) So I think they should have done FIVE singles from each one.   Anyway.    Time to go back to the Album 12 discussions and how it should sound like something.   Bye

2 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

Did we ever get confirmation on what the planned singles were?   

If you go by the stickers on the cds it would have been:

Uno - Oh Love, Kill the DJ, Let Yourself Go

Dos -  Stray Heart, Amy, Stop When the Red Lights Flash

Tre - X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade, The Forgotten

8th Avenue Serenade is only surprise there but it could have done okay I guess.   I'm a big fan on quantity (quality is okay but lots of it is even better) So I think they should have done FIVE singles from each one.   Anyway.    Time to go back to the Album 12 discussions and how it should sound like something.   Bye

Yeah, I would've thought 99 Revolutions would be a single, considering the tour was called the 99 Revolutions Tour and BJ even said it's the best song he's ever written. On Dos, I would've liked to see Lazy Bones as a single and that seems to be a fan favourite from Dos

14 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Aside from this board I don't know a single person in real life who knows the trilogy exists!! I have never ever heard any of the trilogy songs on the radio but then again remember the BBC decided Green Day weren't good enough to be played on BBC radio 1 due to the trilogy. 

Here's an extract from an interview about why the head of BBC radio banned Green Day in 2013.

Ergatoudis spoke about both bands’ presence (or, lack there of) on BBC Radio 1 in a recent interview with Music Week.

In regards to Green Day: “The last Green Day project simply wasn’t good enough.”

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/bbc-radio-1-boss-says-green-day-and-muses-music-isnt-good-enough-to-be-played-on-air/

So the trilogy actually resulted in all their music being banned off a radio station because it was deemed so terrible.  Yep. Lack of promotion seriously wasn't the root of the problem with these awful albums :lol:

"Banned" lol. Radio 1 has a habit of banning music by artists as soon as they're not young any more, might have also included their opinion of how popular the new music would be among listeners but I think that might have been a significant factor in it, their whole thing is to cater to a young audience and have a young/modern image. They don't choose music based on how good it is even if that's what they say, half of what's played on there wouldn't be played otherwise.

They were also saying this months after the albums came out, after they'd suffered from lack of promotion and hadn't been successful, if they'd been a hit do you think they would've said the same? They played the new material at first (somehow they hadn't realised it "wasn't good enough" yet) and only made this decision after the promotion went down the drain and the albums didn't do well. I think that shows it was a lack of success (which may or may not have been affected by lack of promotion) that lead them to it rather than how good they were.

I'm going to see how bad I get attacked by saying I'd rather listen to Uno or Tre before listening to Insomniac.   Let the barrage begin!  

4 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

I'm going to see how bad I get attacked by saying I'd rather listen to Uno or Tre before listening to Insomniac.   Let the barrage begin!  

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I wish I could have liked this 10,000 times!!!!!

I knew there was a reason I liked you.  :wub:

If you can't tell, I agree.  I will even throw in Dos. 

32 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

I agree. I love the trilogy so fucking much. It's a shame that it was their worst selling record. 

7 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

Same! And I'll also add Dos. I can only ever laugh at the idea that there's anything silly about a Green Day fan on a Green Day forum liking any Green Day album or choosing any of them as a favourite, it's the number one place where love for any and all of them can be expected to be found.

Wow, I used to think that all GD fans were mad about Insomniac; I certainly am. Guess I was wrong.

9 minutes ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

Wow, I used to think that all GD fans were mad about Insomniac; I certainly am. Guess I was wrong.

No, not at all.  For me, if I had to rank the albums, Insomniac would be 10 of 11.  It's all good, everyone likes different things.  But, us poor trilogy lovers need to fight for equal rights sometimes.

Just now, JJ1964 said:

No, not at all.  For me, if I had to rank the albums, Insomniac would be 10 of 11.  It's all good, everyone likes different things.  But, us poor trilogy lovers need to fight for equal rights sometimes.

Hey, hey, hey! I LOVE the Trilogy! I defend it all the time against critics :)

37 minutes ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

Trilogy rules, Insomniac drools!   I do like Insomniac, I just enjoy the Trilogy more.   I love Dookie but I've heard it 50 Trillion times and prefer other albums.  I think Nimrod and AI are my all time favorites....or it's a tie between those two and Warning.  Aw heck, they are all so good.  

5 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

Trilogy rules, Insomniac drools!   I do like Insomniac, I just enjoy the Trilogy more.   I love Dookie but I've heard it 50 Trillion times and prefer other albums.  I think Nimrod and AI are my all time favorites....or it's a tie between those two and Warning.  Aw heck, they are all so good.  

I love the newer material, but I tend to prefer the older stuff. I would say that my favorite GD records are 39/Smooth, Kerplunk, Insomniac, Nimrod, and 21st Century Breakdown. I can't choose between those five; my favorite fluctuates from day to day.

Totally on topic....I just saw Ghostbusters and in the credits on the songs one is co-written by Jason White.   Is this our Jason or some other JW?  Trilogy rules!  

Archived