In Defense Of Green Day’s Trilogy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent article, I agree with a lot of this.  I love the trilogy, the different styles and moods, I think Dos is very FBHT and sexy and one of the things I love most about this band is that they do what they want so we can never predict what they will do next.  I also like that they do different stuff and aren't still trying to be 19.  I listen to different music when I'm driving to chilling to flying around doing cleaning, ironing etc and there is a Green Day album for all of it.  Who needs another Status Quo?

I agree with the article. Very pro Trilogy and always will be. It's never worth debating about with a hater on here.

I agree with the article! There are just times when the Trilogy is the perfect thing to listen to. The songs are varied and interesting, and there are some really beautiful gems in there, too, that should be treated as Green Day  classics! It's too bad the promotion of this set got sidelined. I was only a casual fan at the time, not really following the band too closely, and I remember hearing Oh Love a lot on the radio and liking it.  That single, and the TV appearances the band was making, made me think about Green Day again, and it made me buy the Uno Disc, and then the others, which I listened to over and over.  I think if the promotion had continued, the Trilogy would have been a much bigger success.

I also agree with the authors take on 99 Revolutions, I personally think it's about the worst Green Day song, ever. 

I also dislike the tone of the album. Sonically, there is way too much compression, the guitars are too clean, and there's too much Low Pass filter on Billie's voice. But the songwriting and musicianship is great, and Billie Joe's vocals are outstanding. So I still go to the Trilogy often! I hope they don't ditch it on the tour, I'd like to hear some of those beautiful songs live. 

Good article, the trilogy is massive underrated. So is Rise Against's last album The Black Market. Oddly enough, both the trilogy and The Black Market came after a string of political anthemic albums in both bands' careers, I wonder if stripping back the political content and making the songs more personal had anything to do with the poorer reception of those albums. Anyway, I don't agree with the article writer about "Let Yourself Go" and "99 Revolutions though, they are two of my favorites.

Wow...that was a load of rubbish. She could have saved herself a lot of typing by simply saying:

My defense of the trilogy is art is subjective and I like it so there. 

:thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Why is it always referred to as his "rehab stint"?

Because everything was put on hold/disrupted because of it. 

There are just a few things I don't like about the trilogy. Overall I never thought the songs on it were bad. I enjoyed the simplicity of the songs, but I'm not fond of most of the very simplistic lyrics.

But I can't help to get a song from a trilogy stuck in my head every once in a while. Each of the 3 albums has at least a couple of highlights. And considering the amount of songs on it and the short time it was released after 21CB it is pretty damn impressive how they were able to pull that off.

Great article. Altough everytime she said "Oh Love" is better than "99 Revolutions" I was tempted to close the page =P

I have this personal playlist of 'best of' with 13 songs, but every now and then I search for songs that never made that list, so I'm glad Green Day released all 37 of them.

Trilogy was great people who hate it just don't have taste in music :P

I liked the part where it is said that they released all 37 songs into 3 albums instead of selecting only the best ones because they never intented the albums to be "earth-shattering" hits but wanted to give a good variety of songs to the fans to which I agree.

Trilogy may not be my all time favourite but I liked the classic rock approach in it and they very well exlpored themselves as musicians.

11 hours ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Why is it always referred to as his "rehab stint"?

A better question might be when are we going to stop blaming rehab for the fact that the trilogy is just bad. :P Fans who like the trilogy are constantly talking about how the trilogy was ruined by rehab/iheart but realistically while sales were affected those of us who bought and listened to the album are the ones bitching for years about how shit it was so clearly we didn't NOT buy or not enjoy it because Billie went to rehab. Duh. The trilogy sucks because it sucks, in the opinion of those who believe it sucks. :P 

14 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Wow...that was a load of rubbish. She could have saved herself a lot of typing by simply saying:

My defense of the trilogy is art is subjective and I like it so there. 

:thumbsup:

Agreed. This article isn't very good.

30 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

A better question might be when are we going to stop blaming rehab for the fact that the trilogy is just bad. :P Fans who like the trilogy are constantly talking about how the trilogy was ruined by rehab/iheart but realistically while sales were affected those of us who bought and listened to the album are the ones bitching for years about how shit it was so clearly we didn't NOT buy or not enjoy it because Billie went to rehab. Duh. The trilogy sucks because it sucks, in the opinion of those who believe it sucks. :P 

There is absolutely no doubt that the band not promoting the album hurt its sales. While the trilogy may have never caught  on to become a huge hit, it would have easily gotten more attention if the band was out there promoting it and could have spent time highlighting some of its best tracks. There are several songs on there that would have gone on to be bigger with some attention.

I agree with the person who wrote the article. I've never hated the trilogy and I really don't understand why people hate "Oh Love" so much. People who didn't like the trilogy are so monotonous, they want Green Day to play the same kind of music forever.

47 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

There is absolutely no doubt that the band not promoting the album hurt its sales. While the trilogy may have never caught  on to become a huge hit, it would have easily gotten more attention if the band was out there promoting it and could have spent time highlighting some of its best tracks. There are several songs on there that would have gone on to be bigger with some attention.

Read what I said again...I specifically acknowledged sales were affected. It can't be argued sales were affected. I said it wasn't why the albums were bad and it wasn't why those of us who did buy the albums and didn't like them found them to be rubbish. 

I definitely would rather listen to Oh Love instead of 99 revs

7 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

There are just a few things I don't like about the trilogy. Overall I never thought the songs on it were bad. I enjoyed the simplicity of the songs, but I'm not fond of most of the very simplistic lyrics.

This sums it up for me. The music was fine but the lyrics were just very poor. Billie always had such strong lyrics but there were so many weak lyrical moments on the trilogy. 

I like the songs of the trilogy but I kinda wish they planned them out better. I think they were still figuring out which songs were gunna go on which album while they were still in the studio. It would have been great if they had em separated before they recorded and then gave each of the 3 albums its own sonic character. I think the production works best for Dos, the thinner guitars work for the more garage type stuff, but for Uno, which was supposed to be the arena rocker, it should have had huge distorted guitars on the majority of the songs. I think the clean guitars work for Troublemaker, Kill The DJ, Oh Love, and Sweet 16, but songs like Nuclear Family, Carpe Diem, Let Yourself Go, Rusty James, and Stay The Night needed that huge sound. It would have been cool if they used 3 different studios for the 3 different albums.

The text is very good and I agree with almost everything. As a big fan I was happy to be able to listen to every single song idea that they were having on that period (with all the 37 songs released I hardly think that some thought was left behind). To truly know what was going on their artistic minds was pure pleasure.

On the other hand I truly believe that if they used the entire time to work on a single album we would probably end up with a masterpiece (sadly - in my perspective - the Trilogy looked rushed).

in the end the Trilogy to me looks like an unpolished diamond craved on a rock: It's insanely valuable, but the wasted potential to perfection will always be noticed.

I liked the trilogy however I do understand why some people don't like the albums 

The trilogy was solid. Yea maybe there were a couple weak songs but I don't see any that should have been actually cut. They are all good in their own way. Love how each album had a different style and atmosphere to them. That and I still think the artwork is kick ass lol. I can see why some people don't like it but if you look into the lyrics and the writing process, you'll appreciate these albums and songs a lot more. 

Archived