Punk? No. Green Day is POP PUNK.

Nimrodness

You know what? I'm SICK and TIRED of people calling Green Day punk. They're POP PUNK idiots!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who cares? :lol:

If there's a pop song I like I don't care about the genre. I like the song and that's it. I won't pretend to not like it just because it's a different genre. I don't care what others think, people who say "eww, she dances to that pop song as if it was something special" are stupid anyway. I enjoy it and that's all that counts.

Green Day have played music of various genres over the years, so to limit them to one genre is a disservice to their legacy.

17 minutes ago, Nimrodness said:

You know what? I'm SICK and TIRED of people calling Green Day punk. They're POP PUNK idiots!

This is very interesting insight, would you please elaborate on it more? 

No matter what type of music they play - if your a true fan you would support any genre !

24 minutes ago, Nimrodness said:

Please continue telling me your expertise in punk rock since 1969.

They're both. All bands that are pop punk also come under the umbrella term of punk. Just like, in turn, all punk bands also come under the umbrella term of rock. Pop punk is just a more specific description, they can still also be described more generally as punk or even more generally than that as rock. 

It's not like they're being called mariachi death metal blues, does it really matter if the term used isn't as absolutely specific as possible? According to his tweet a few months ago about wanting to "destroy the phrase pop punk forever" doesn't even sound like Billie himself is a fan of the term.

Also it's funny because usually it's the other way round with people complaining when they're called pop punk instead of punk :lol:. But I see both terms used a lot, it's not like they're stuck only being called one or the other, and both are fairly accurate descriptions of them.

44 minutes ago, Nimrodness said:

You should direct your opinion to the Department of Nobody Gives A Fuck :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, Nimrodness said:

I'm glad you cleared that up for us . I've been trying to figure this out for years

Honestly, why does it even matter? If you like the music, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's boring and stifling to limit artists to labels. 

Who cares what genre they are or people think they should be in. Changing the genre doesn't make their music sound any different than the way they play it. If you would remove the tag it still sounds good.

3 minutes ago, Matt. said:

Good thing it won't matter for too much longer...

So it's confirmed then, Green Day are breaking up.

It was a good run.

This is such an old tired discussion give it a rest! Genres are stupid. I don't believe in genres just music! 

I still don't understand why it bothers people who think they are or are not pop punk. Also, genres aren't stupid :lol: .

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I still don't understand why it bothers people who think they are or are not pop punk. Also, genres aren't stupid :lol: .

I guess genres come in handy when you are in a record store. Though, I usually look for the first letter of the band's or artist's name. When someone mentions to me they discovered this new band and it is awesome and discribe it by naming the genres the music touches, I have no clue what that band sounds like until I have heard them play live or listened to an album.

Not this shit again. It's like 2012, or 2004, or 2000, or 1994.

6 hours ago, Nimrodness said:

They're POP PUNK idiots!

Noooooooooooooo, they're AMERICAN idiots.

Also, cool story bro, tell it again.

• Sarcasm locked this topic

Archived