Punk? No. Green Day is POP PUNK.

Nimrodness

1994 called….They want their topic back! 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we all know Green Day isn't Pop-Punk they're really Pop-Zydeco-Country 

This thread is so pointless.
I love Green Day. My personal take is that they have always been more Alternative music with a punk rock lifestyle.
However labeling any genre as "punk music" is just kind of silly due to it being an umbrella term.

We have Pop Punk of course (which can be further divided into generations....I think we're on gen 5 pop punk now and Green Day would have been gen 3 in the late 80s/early 90s)
But then there's Skate Punk, Anarcho Punk, Industrial Punk, Noise Punk, Surf Punk, Hardcore Punk, Ska Punk, Crust Punk, Spoken Word, Folk/Celtic Punk, Psychobilly, Horror Punk, etc.
Then you have branch-off subgenres like Crossover Thrash, 1st gen Emo, Alternative Rock, and really any of the -core classifications.

Green Day is about as much "Punk" as The Ramones, but neither are in the same way that bands like The Casualties or D.R.I. would be.

and then if you really want to get technical, all of these terms are different depending on your geographic location.

So, in essence, while Green Day is certainly not ALL-ENCOMPASSING punk because they do not hit every genre above, they belong in their nice little niche of pop punk, which is Punk.
(But not like the same kind of pop punk that caught on in the early 2000s. That's just shit.)
Or Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Personally though, I think their music is so diverse that they can't be considered pop punk or really punk at all. It's their little brat attitudes that make them punk at heart.

oh my god why does anyone give a fuck about this? 

13 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

I like saying they're rock n roll 

this is all the reason I need. 

Shows over. New dude, calm the fuck down. GD is punk, deal with it. 

• Sarcasm locked this topic

Archived