What type of song are you hoping the lead single to be?

Justin1

#3 or #4. Either something epic or something angry. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politically Charged Angsty Pop Punker! #1 and #4 will announce to the world "Green Day is back and ready to kick ass!"

Honestly, they need to change it up if Billie really wants to destroy the phrase "pop punk" forever. A new producer could do them wonders. They need someone who's actually there to be honest and tell them what works and what doesn't, like Jake Sinclair on Weezer's last album.

My tastes have changed since I first got into Green Day, so personally, I hope they go down a new route with a completely new sound, but I could see them releasing another politically charged song. I just hope they stay true to his word and leave behind pop-punk (Assuming I'm interpreting that quote correctly). 

Somehow I get likes whenever I mention Nightlife as if it was suppose to be like a joke or something. I really mean it guys! You are suppose to disagree with me! :mad: 

1 minute ago, Eric said:

Somehow I get likes whenever I mention Nightlife as if it was suppose to be like a joke or something. I really mean it guys! You are suppose to disagree with me! :mad: 

But Nightlife is one of my favorites, I was agreeing with you.

3 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

But Nightlife is one of my favorites, I was agreeing with you.

Yeah I know you like it, but other than you I do not expect to have anyone else like my nightlife posts. :lol:  

18 minutes ago, Eric said:

Yeah I know you like it, but other than you I do not expect to have anyone else like my nightlife posts. :lol:  

Well Nightlife overall isn't a good song because I believe the lady cobra chick is a horrible rapper. If someone like in your picture for example, like Chance or something were to rap with them to that back beat and bass it would probably fire. But it's not really "them" enough to be a single, if you know what i mean.

3 minutes ago, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

Well Nightlife overall isn't a good song because I believe the lady cobra chick is a horrible rapper. If someone like in your picture for example, like Chance or something were to rap with them to that back beat and bass it would probably fire. But it's not really "them" enough to be a single, if you know what i mean.

HERE WE GO! :lol:

Well first of all, I believe she was right choice over Chance due to subject matter :lol: .I do not see whats horrible about her. Is there other rappers that are better than her? Oh yeah for sure! I just think she fit the song for what it was. This song doesn't deserve the hate it gets or that I use to see it get.  Who cares if it is not really "them" I rather have unpredictability than have yet another similar safe song as their first single. Rap is what is in today and a nice blend of Green Day and another Rap artist would be cool to see imo. :) 

Just now, Eric said:

HERE WE GO! :lol:

Well first of all, I believe she was right choice over Chance due to subject matter :lol: .I do not see whats horrible about her. Is there other rappers that are better than her? Oh yeah for sure! I just think she fit the song for what it was. This song doesn't deserve the hate it gets or that I use to see it get.  Who cares if it is not really "them" I rather have unpredictability than have yet another similar safe song as their first single. Rap is what is in today and a nice blend of Green Day and another Rap artist would be cool to see imo. :) 

Nightlife is top 5 trilogy songs for me. Awesome bass line. Having Chance on the track would be a disservice to him, but Lady Cobra fits the tone of the song and its purpose perfectly.

I definitely think this album is going to be politically charged. I personally think a lead single similar to the energy of American Idiot or Holiday is what they need. I am totally up for all the other types of songs being on the album but they need to come out with a bang. Something heavy, meaningful, and just good all around. I highly doubt they will use a ballad as their lead single but it would be cool to hear it on their album.

Oh love was a terrible lead single. I personally think that if they would have used something like 99 Revolutions as a single (I know it was on Tre but still) then the albums would have been more popular.

I don't love Nightlife, but I don't hate it. Lady Cobra was a fine choice for the track; she's someone they were already familiar with, having played a handful of shows with Mystic Knights. She wasn't a household name, which is what  I like about it.  They could have reached out to and Iggy Azalea or someone like her. Seems more their style to help break a smaller artist.

I'd say a faster, snarling rocker for the first single.  

Second single should be the epic ballad that has become a tradition for Green Day.  

Third single should be something totally different and experimental in a crazy way.  If it fails so be it, but they should be out a single that is just really weird and out there.  Maybe even Network-y.   Maybe something else.  

Fourth:  Solid mid-tempo track. 

Fifth Single:  What the heck, let's get another big hit ballad.   

On 8/6/2016 at 8:50 PM, Neutral Milk Hotel said:

Honestly, they need to change it up if Billie really wants to destroy the phrase "pop punk" forever. A new producer could do them wonders. They need someone who's actually there to be honest and tell them what works and what doesn't, like Jake Sinclair on Weezer's last album.

My tastes have changed since I first got into Green Day, so personally, I hope they go down a new route with a completely new sound, but I could see them releasing another politically charged song. I just hope they stay true to his word and leave behind pop-punk (Assuming I'm interpreting that quote correctly). 

I think he meant he doesn't like the phrase "pop-punk", not the music genre itself. "Pop-punk" is an oxymoron, and as someone on Tumblr suggested, the term "vans vans snapback basement music" would be more accurate (talking about modern pop-punk here). So I don't think he meant he wants to leave pop-punk behind, he just wishes it were called something else.

I'd want either a 60s throwback or an angsty pop-punker. I'd want them to go with something like what Let Youself Go could have been, if it wasn't thoroughly overproduced.

5 hours ago, DannyDirnt said:

I'd want either a 60s throwback or an angsty pop-punker. I'd want them to go with something like what Let Youself Go could have been, if it wasn't thoroughly overproduced.

Let yourself go was excellent live. 

43 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Let yourself go was excellent live. 

Indeed. I remember when the first official live video came out. Everyone was so pumped!

Honestly, Green Day is older and more mature now, and I've always hoped (as I've probably hinted on here quite a few times) that they would branch out more and explore different rock subgenres. I loved 21CB but it seemed just like a continuation of AI, and although I liked the Trilogy, I don't think that the style on it was something that they'd never done before. I'm not sure if they could, but I'd love to see GD do something proggier and less poppy. I'd be totally delighted if the first single was something along those lines, but I'd be cool with them putting out something sonically similar to, say, Blackball or Beheaded off The Offspring's debut--something with a harder punk edge and maybe a few horror punk elements. Then there's my longtime dream that would have them put out something at least metal-influenced. I love metal, especially heavy and thrash, and it's a side of rock that GD has never before explored or even touched, so it would be interesting, to say the least, to see their interpretation of the genre. 

At this point, I don't believe that GD really plays punk music, but in my mind, that also now allows them to dip their fingers into other genres, which, to reiterate, I'd really like to see them do.

I'd probably not buy the new album if it incorporated rap/hip hop elements, honestly. I have nothing against the genre itself but if the lead single is, say, a collaboration with will.i.am it's really not too appealing to me. I also know a bunch of GD fans who want nothing to do with rap or hip hop, so I feel that song so would damage their standing with some of the fanbase.

Another rock opera would be cool with me as well, as long as it's different from AI and 21CB--and anything off that kind of record would make a good single, in my opinion.

Then again, I really don't know much about how the music industry works nowadays, and it's possible that if GD released something less commercially-appealing as a lead single, it would put some potential customers off the new record. 

12 hours ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I'd be totally delighted if the first single was something along those lines, but I'd be cool with them putting out something sonically similar to, say, Blackball or Beheaded off The Offspring's debut--something with a harder punk edge and maybe a few horror punk elements.

I'd really like to hear something like that too. I loved their cover of Hybrid Moments, I think there could be potential for something good to come out of it if they experimented with a more horror punk-influenced sound. Also, Billie's voice is quite melodic, which I think would work very well with an horror punk-inspired base. I feel like putting out an horror punk album would be a bit dangerous though, so maybe just a couple of tracks would be nice, just to add something different to their repertoire.

• 4 weeks later...

Rock Oprea is the meaning of life LOL!

On June 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Z J said:

I am ok with anything but #2 if I hear anymore mid-tempo pop-rock from Green Day I may explode. 

Realistically I think the song will fall on a spectrum, ranging from "This would have been too experimental for Nimrod" to "Is this the trilogy?"

But, Green Day already has Uno Dos Tre. Why another trilogy?

On June 11, 2016 at 8:24 AM, ghesboro said:

I'd really like to hear something like that too. I loved their cover of Hybrid Moments, I think there could be potential for something good to come out of it if they experimented with a more horror punk-influenced sound. Also, Billie's voice is quite melodic, which I think would work very well with an horror punk-inspired base. I feel like putting out an horror punk album would be a bit dangerous though, so maybe just a couple of tracks would be nice, just to add something different to their repertoire.

Or add another guitarist (NOT someone legendary) that could make it more interesting.

1 hour ago, Nimrodness said:

Or add another guitarist (NOT someone legendary) that could make it more interesting.

They already have 2 guitarists (at least), I wouldn't add another one. It's Green Day, not Eagles.

Something under 4 minutes, vents anger and runs at about 175 BPM. A mix of no. 1 and no. 4. At the end of the day, I don't really care about singles. I just want an album and maybe a B-sides album, if any B-sides exist.

Archived