[FAKE] Green Day - What About Today / World vs World (1991 Studio Demo)

!KuWa!

First off, I apologize If this is the wrong section on the forum! I just wanted to share this and I didn't see it anywhere else on this site..

So what do we think?

:)

I have never heard this before! There have been other recordings in the past if I recall. I have never heard this!

Edit: "more to come" makes me excited too!

Edit Again. This is all I have heard of the song in the past! 

Upon further investigation, this user posted it too. Using this site, this user uploaded his 4 MINUTES earlier than the upload in OP. 

What About Today is a completely different song from 2001 :P 

Anyways, that's fake as fuck :P but nice try. 

21 minutes ago, Todd said:

What About Today is a completely different song from 2001 :P 

Anyways, that's fake as fuck :P but nice try. 

Im genuinely interested in what makes you think its fake. I initially thought someone took an acoustic rendition that we already had, and layered instruments over it, but then I realised that we dont have a recording this clear for them to do that with... Im still confused by it

I'm not sure, but the original video posted doesn't sound like Billie singing to me.  It sounds like someone trying to sound like Billie.  I could be very, very wrong, but I've listed to all the videos posted several times and it really doesn't sound like the same singer to me.

Todd is sort of the curator of GDC's audio archive. I'll listen to these when I get a chance later but if he thinks they're fake, they likely are. From the way people are describing the sound, somebody probably tried to cover them and pass them off as authentic.

And yeah, What About Today is from 2001. That was one of Billie's voicemail demos.

Also the drums sound programmed, Green Day wouldn't have done that. 

1 hour ago, Hammie Stein said:

Im genuinely interested in what makes you think its fake. I initially thought someone took an acoustic rendition that we already had, and layered instruments over it, but then I realised that we dont have a recording this clear for them to do that with... Im still confused by it

Sounds like someone covered it. The vocals don't sound like Billie, the arrangement with the guitars isn't something Green Day would have done back then. I only listened to the first 15 seconds though, I'll give it a second listen tonight, I'll bet the lyrics don't match up too. 

9 hours ago, Todd said:

Sounds like someone covered it. The vocals don't sound like Billie, the arrangement with the guitars isn't something Green Day would have done back then. I only listened to the first 15 seconds though, I'll give it a second listen tonight, I'll bet the lyrics don't match up too. 

Seems awfully coincidential that the recording "leaked" not long after @Kerplunk!!! figured the lyrics out. Still, the lyrics don't match up very well; some of the lines were sung incoherently, others were left out completely.

Still, it's a good cover, I'll give him that.

Archived