Green Day vs Linkin Park vs Foo Fighters.. Who is it??

Justin1

1 minute ago, Justin1 said:

I just think that if you're trying to determine the biggest band of a generation, they should have as much of each factor that would make them that as possible.

To me, as great as a lot of Nirvana's music was, 3 albums isn't enough material to determine that, nor did they have the longevity to say they could be the biggest of a generation. And I just can't see middle aged women enjoying most of Pearl Jam's Discography the way I could see them liking Green Day.. But hey, I could be wrong.

I just think bands like Green Day and Linkin Park have a lot of each factor that would make you like them.

Middle aged woman here that likes both Pearl Jam and Green Day and does not like Linkin Park.  Again, what are you asking our opinion on, the biggest band of a generation, the most influential band, because they are very, very different.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Middle aged woman here that likes both Pearl Jam and Green Day and does not like Linkin Park.  Again, what are you asking our opinion on, the biggest band of a generation, the most influential band, because they are very, very different.  

Because to me how influential a band is, is only one factor I'd use to determine the biggest band of a generation.

Just now, Justin1 said:

Because to me how influential a band is, is only one factor I'd use to determine the biggest band of a generation.

OK what was your question?  Biggest band or most influential.  And yes, I agree that most influential is a factor in the biggest band of a decade

31 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

You're safe, he brought up U2 in the same post.  They trump the foos

Seriously, U2 and FF are good bands but neither are influential like Green Day

2 minutes ago, RustyJoe said:

Seriously, U2 and FF are good bands but neither are influential like Green Day

Oh you are just saying that to get on my good side. :lol: U2 has a handful of good songs, but just a handful.  The Foo Fighters would be so much better if Dave would just not sing.

4 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Oh you are just saying that to get on my good side. :lol: U2 has a handful of good songs, but just a handful.  The Foo Fighters would be so much better if Dave would just not sing.

I think Dave's singing suits their music. His voice is full of energy. It's one of the good things about FF. 

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

I think Dave's singing suits their music. His voice is full of energy. It's one of the good things about FF. 

I can't take the screaming.  I love a good punk scream.  For example, Billie does a great punk scream, but he adds it in between the lyrics.  He rarely will scream an actual lyric.  Dave, especially in their later songs, screams the lyrics.  I guess that is why I like pop-punk and not straight punk.  If Dave would go back to singing like he did on songs like Big Me, I wouldn't be so opposed to them.  They still wouldn't be one of my favorites but I wouldn't cringe when I hear them on the radio.  I do like Big Me.

5 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I can't take the screaming.  I love a good punk scream.  For example, Billie does a great punk scream, but he adds it in between the lyrics.  He rarely will scream an actual lyric.  Dave, especially in their later songs, screams the lyrics.  I guess that is why I like pop-punk and not straight punk.  If Dave would go back to singing like he did on songs like Big Me, I wouldn't be so opposed to them.  They still wouldn't be one of my favorites but I wouldn't cringe when I hear them on the radio.  I do like Big Me.

I see what you mean. He tends to overdo the screaming a fair bit. I love Wasting Light, that album has catchy songs and energy and I liked his singing because it had a live feel to it. 

37 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

OK what was your question?  Biggest band or most influential.  And yes, I agree that most influential is a factor in the biggest band of a decade

I guess the overall question is.. Based on the bands to break out in the last 25 years, what is the average person going to say was the biggest/best 'band' of our time, say if someone asked them 30 years from now? My guess would be one of the 3 I mentioned..

I just don't see people saying Nirvana as often because they just weren't around long enough to keep getting new fans with new music, but who knows.

The thing that everyone seems to be ignoring is that these bands appeal to wildly different audiences. Honestly, the only reason these groups' Venn diagrams intersect is that they'll all get played on your local shit-rock station. If you're into punk, Green Day is more important, if you're into '00s-rock, it's Linkin Park, and if you're into mainstream hard rock it's the Foos. This is apples and oranges.

And anyway, everyone knows the most important rock band nowadays is I Set My Friends on Fire.

It's hard to say who's the most influential when each of these bands has been influenced by another.  Biggest is easy.  Of these three, the biggest is the Foos, regardless of which is the best. 

But bands existing as contemporaries, and each taking what another has done and going their own way with it, makes it hard to call the most influential.  Is green day, for example, automatically more influential than all time low because ATL wouldn't be what they were without having heard GD?  Are, say, The Who more influential than GD for the same reasons?  Crossover between the bands makes it hard to come up with a definitive answer.

On a personal level, I know Green Day has been by far the most influential, and at the end of the day that's what should matter most to us - music is a huge community but everyone has their own experiences and feelings, and has been influenced in a way that no one else can quite dictate. 

1 minute ago, Second favourite son said:

It's hard to say who's the most influential when each of these bands has been influenced by another.  Biggest is easy.  Of these three, the biggest is the Foos, regardless of which is the best. 

I need to disagree with this.  Over here, I don't see it.  They are only played on the local alternative station.  No one under the age of 40 likes them, at all.  The tickets for their concerts were going for $20 on Stub hub.  I know they are popular in other parts of the country, but in the NY area, the interest is just not there. 

Just now, JJ1964 said:

I need to disagree with this.  Over here, I don't see it.  They are only played on the local alternative station.  No one under the age of 40 likes them, at all.  The tickets for their concerts were going for $20 on Stub hub.  I know they are popular in other parts of the country, but in the NY area, the interest is just not there. 

Ahh, I knew it was a risk saying this, as I have no idea about the states.  But in Europe it definitely feels like the foo fighters are bigger, especially in terms of concerts. 

3 minutes ago, Second favourite son said:

Ahh, I knew it was a risk saying this, as I have no idea about the states.  But in Europe it definitely feels like the foo fighters are bigger, especially in terms of concerts. 

Well considering GD has not toured in 3 years, that would make sense.

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

Well considering GD has not toured in 3 years, that would make sense.

That's a fair point, though even during the trilogy and tour there was more talk at school about the foo fighters than GD, who only really became big news around Reading festival.  For some reason Dave Grohl seems to be treated like a god this side of the Atlantic.

Spoiler

I could be completely wrong though, I don't feel like I'm qualified to speak on behalf of an entire continent :P

Going by numbers.....

Green Day at 75 Million.   

Linkin Park 68 Million.  

Foo Fighters 30 Million

Going by my own personal and bias opinion:    

Green Day is #1.  Linkin Park is #20.     Foo Fighters are #34.   

If we're talking about big 2000s bands then how about the White Stripes? Could they count? Also, Green Day and Foo Fighters are so close for me for this. But, I have to choose Green Day.

8 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Noooooooo ;)

The few U2 good songs are good though and Dave's singing is very much to taste, I think it suits some songs and not others but he'll scream on them all anyway.

Over here Linkin Park is nothing compared to Green Day, no one's cared about them since their first couple of albums as far as I know, they were just another early 2000s nu metal band.

How is Green Day's fan base born 1982-2001? They've been around since 1989 and became huge in 1994, more people in their original fan base were born in the 70s than the few children born in the 80s. And their last album to be really huge, American Idiot, came out when people born in 2001 were 3 years old. I don't really see how they're comparable to a band that released their first album in 2000 and is a different genre.

The Foos could be comparable in terms of popularity but again they're a very different band. All three started at different times, are popular or liked for different reasons and to different degrees, and play different kinds of music. Don't see why these three in particular would be grouped together and compared.

4 hours ago, RustyJoe said:

Noooooooo ;)

The few U2 good songs are good though and Dave's singing is very much to taste, I think it suits some songs and not others but he'll scream on them all anyway.

I actually agree with this.  U2 has some great songs, but just some.  There are alot of people that like Dave's singing.  I personally want to choke him every time he opens his mouth.  So yes, his singing is to taste.  

GREEN DAY ALL THE WAY!! dude :thumbsup: Linkin Park is my second favourite, Hybrid Theory and Meteora are solid albums but after that they went almost electronic but The Hunting Party was a good record. Foo Fighters is fine but lyrically all songs sound the same and hence I sometimes feel they have a bit stagnated.

Talking about influence in different decades I'd go on like this:

50s- Chuck Berry (and many artists I don't even know of :P).

60s- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix.

70s- Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Rush.

80s- Iron Maiden. Glam bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses. Hardcore bands- Black Flag, Bad Brains. Thrash bands- Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus. U2.

90s- Green Day, Pantera, Sepultura, KoRn, RHCP, Radiohead. Grunge bands- Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots. Death/Black metal bands- Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel.

2000s- Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, SOAD, Disturbed, Slipknot, A7X, Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Bullet For My Valentine.

10s- Green Day with their latest album will be the most influential thing!

35 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

GREEN DAY ALL THE WAY!! dude :thumbsup: Linkin Park is my second favourite, Hybrid Theory and Meteora are solid albums but after that they went almost electronic but The Hunting Party was a good record. Foo Fighters is fine but lyrically all songs sound the same and hence I sometimes feel they have a bit stangnated.

Talking about influence in different decades I'd go on like this:

50s- Chuck Berry (and many artists I don't even know of :P).

60s- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix.

70s- Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Rush.

80s- Iron Maiden. Glam bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses. Hardcore bands- Black Flag, Bad Brains. Thrash bands- Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus. U2.

90s- Green Day, Pantera, Sepultura, KoRn, RHCP, Radiohead. Grunge bands- Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots. Death/Black metal bands- Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel.

2000s- Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, SOAD, Disturbed, Slipknot, A7X, Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Bullet For My Valentine.

10s- Green Day with their latest album will be the most influential thing!

✋ High five for all the awesome bands you just named in your post! ? I like most of those.

16 hours ago, Justin1 said:

I just think that if you're trying to determine the biggest band of a generation, they should have as much of each factor that would make them that as possible.

To me, as great as a lot of Nirvana's music was, 3 albums isn't enough material to determine that, nor did they have the longevity to say they could be the biggest of a generation. And I just can't see middle aged women enjoying most of Pearl Jam's Discography the way I could see them liking Green Day.. But hey, I could be wrong.

I just think bands like Green Day and Linkin Park have a lot of each factor that would make you like them.

yep nirvana has no influence at all they didn't change radio stations at all oh wait a sec they did SLTS demand was so big it forced country and jazz and even oldies stations to play it GD Foo and LP has never done that 

they have only spun off thousands of copycat bands 

yes 3 albums but 1 of those 3 is widely considered to be one of the top ten most influencial albums of all time but you're right they have no influencial albums at all... 

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

Dave Grohl > everyone else

I truly wish I had negative rep for this.  He makes me want to puke

Archived