Green Day vs Linkin Park vs Foo Fighters.. Who is it??

Justin1

43 minutes ago, WhatsernameKKK said:

I would agree about Linikin Park not being that big here.  I would say U2 and Muse, and maybe even Cold Play (yeuch) as well as Green Day, are perceived to be the biggest here!  Not a big fan of Dave Grohl's voice either (and I've always thought that the video for The Pretender was a bit of a ripnoff of American Idiot vid, so that kinda pisses me off), or Bono's for that matter, but as U2 have been around since the 70's and haven't broken up, they probably would be "the biggest" in my opinion, or maybe AC/DC, who I don't think have been mentioned (but I could be wrong here).

I think U2 and AC/DC are definately the biggest bands to come out of the late 70s/early 80s, and maybe still the biggest around today, but I'm thinking more so in terms of bands to break out in the last 25 years and are still somewhat young and relevant enough to gain new young fans. Coldplay would definately be up there too, but I just can't classify them as rock.. I like them but they're a bit more pop to me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/04/2016 at 1:35 AM, Justin1 said:

I think U2 and AC/DC are definately the biggest bands to come out of the late 70s/early 80s, and maybe still the biggest around today, but I'm thinking more so in terms of bands to break out in the last 25 years and are still somewhat young and relevant enough to gain new young fans. Coldplay would definately be up there too, but I just can't classify them as rock.. I like them but they're a bit more pop to me.

Just had a flashback there, to the 2009 Grammy's, when 21st Century Breakdown won best Rock album over U2 and AC/DC.  Ahh, those were the days.....

On Sunday, April 17, 2016 at 6:48 PM, WhatsernameKKK said:

Just had a flashback there, to the 2009 Grammy's, when 21st Century Breakdown won best Rock album over U2 and AC/DC.  Ahh, those were the days.....

2010;)

• 3 months later...
On 4/13/2016 at 7:08 AM, Siddharth_471 said:

GREEN DAY ALL THE WAY!! dude :thumbsup: Linkin Park is my second favourite, Hybrid Theory and Meteora are solid albums but after that they went almost electronic but The Hunting Party was a good record. Foo Fighters is fine but lyrically all songs sound the same and hence I sometimes feel they have a bit stagnated.

Talking about influence in different decades I'd go on like this:

50s- Chuck Berry (and many artists I don't even know of :P).

60s- Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix.

70s- Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Pink Floyd, Rush.

80s- Iron Maiden. Glam bands like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses. Hardcore bands- Black Flag, Bad Brains. Thrash bands- Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Exodus. U2.

90s- Green Day, Pantera, Sepultura, KoRn, RHCP, Radiohead. Grunge bands- Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots. Death/Black metal bands- Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel.

2000s- Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, SOAD, Disturbed, Slipknot, A7X, Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Bullet For My Valentine.

10s- Green Day with their latest album will be the most influential thing!

For a second, I thought I was going to have a heart attack because I thought that you were labeling U2 a thrash band. I think it's cool how Green Day truly transcends the generational barrier--that's what makes music timeless. I definitely prefer Green Day to Foo Fighters, personally. I already went through my Foo/Nirvana phase years ago, and I'm really just not big on grunge/post-grunge anymore. I've never liked Pearl Jam or Soundgarden and those other Seattle grunge acts. On the matter of the list, I agree with most of it but I'd put Priest in for the 80s as well (Scorpions too, and how can one forget about Queensryche?). The early 80s saw their commercial peak with British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance (I've heard that Point of Entry didn't do well in the charts, and 1984's Defenders of the Faith took them in a heavier, less mainstream-friendly direction), and the work from that period is their best-known in the mainstream. I'd add Poison and Ratt in for glam bands (there are a lot of others I can think of, but many of them straddled the line between glam and straight-up heavy metal). I would also take Guns N' Roses out of the glam band category, because, in many ways, they were the antithesis of glam, but in a different way from the thrash bands. Speaking of which, I think I'd lump Overkill and Kreator in with the rest of the thrash group to round it out. I'd also definitely add Cream, The Doors, Beach Boys, and The Who in with the other 60s stuff. This topic hasn't been updated in awhile, but I saw this comment and wanted to reply to it.

Pearl Jam is NOT grunge just because a band is from Seattle doesn't make them grunge 

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Pearl Jam is NOT grunge just because a band is from Seattle doesn't make them grunge 

They were at the start.

11 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

They were at the start.

No they weren't they're hard rock/alternative 

the closest PJ has been to grunge was when Stone and Jeff were in Green River 

Foo Fighters and Nirvana are very different bands, pretty much the only similarities are sharing two members and the first FF album having a quiet/loud dynamic 

Green Day for sure. I've loved every one of their albums. Linking Parks a close second though. I'm probably in the minority when I say I've liked every one of their records. I like foos a lot too but they aren't as consistent. Some of their music is kinda bland to be. The other bands albums are definitely more consistent imo

PJ is not grunge, it's just boring. Ok, now that this is out I'll weigh in.

In matters of being a "big band", I'd put Foo Fighters at the top, in this moment. Green Day has reached a higher peak, but this is not the situation currently. Linkin Park managed some singles, but never created a loyal fanbase that I'd consider big enough.

I think Foo is mainly bigger live wise both Green Day and Linkin has sold more records than FF GD is at 75 million total LP is at 68 million total FF can't find a worldwide total but in the US they're only at 12 mil that's not really a strong fanbase if they aren't buying albums 

On 4/15/2016 at 7:35 PM, Justin1 said:

Coldplay would definately be up there too, but I just can't classify them as rock.. I like them but they're a bit more pop to me.

Only their last two albums were blatantly pop. Their older albums were definitively alternative/indie.

On 4/12/2016 at 2:18 PM, Justin1 said:

In my opinion..

60's-70s - Beatles

70's-80's - Rolling Stones/Led Zep

80's-90's - U2

90's-00's - Green Day/LP/Foo's

00's-10's - Hopeless.. Lol

I'd classify The Rolling Stones as 60s/70s more so. Queen is missing from 70s/80s, they had huge crowds and tons of hits and not including Nirvana in 80s/90s is a pretty glaring exclusion.

1 hour ago, Bruno Schmitt Lisboa said:

PJ is not grunge, it's just boring. Ok, now that this is out I'll weigh in.

To you... nothing is out, case dismissed.

4 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

No they weren't they're hard rock/alternative 

the closest PJ has been to grunge was when Stone and Jeff were in Green River 

I'm not big on grunge, as I've stated before, and I've heard that it was just a blanket term used to loosely categorize the alt rock bands that came out of the Seattle scene in the early 90s. That's fair; I don't know much about them, so I'll rescind that statement. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, going back to the main subject, I completely think that Green Day is a much better band than both Foo Fighters and Linkin Park, and not just because of personal bias. Just as a note, I'm labeling FF post-grunge because that's a common term I've heard to describe their style of music, and I don't just want to label it all alt rock, even though that's what all these bands are on the broadest level. I say that I'm not a grunge fan because I don't much like the music of the bands commonly associated with the term. I like some Alice In Chains, but I just personally find Pearl Jam and Soundgarden so boring musically. As for FF, I used to like their music, and I don't know what happened; I guess I just started to find it kind of repetitive. That's something GD has that I don't think that FF has--the ability to make big changes to their musical style all while retaining many of the hallmarks of their sound. Green Day has a lot of variety in its discography. As for the Foos, I liked The Colour and the Shape, Wasting Light, and Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. I honestly can't find a single track that I like on either Saint Cecilia or Sonic Highways--the band's sound has become bland and unexciting for me. Now, on the subject of Linkin Park, I must admit that I never liked nu metal at all. I disliked St. Anger's more nu-metal-inspired sound, as well as much of Diabolus in Musica. Looking at it objectively, I'd say that Hybrid Theory and Meteora are good records. I'm not personally a fan, but I can see why they're known as some of the best of the genre. After that, well...Linkin Park started drifting away from that sound and not in a good way either, IMHO. I think that GD manages to change its sound while remaining relatively musically consistent with each album release.

33 minutes ago, PurpleIron1039 said:

I'm not big on grunge, as I've stated before, and I've heard that it was just a blanket term used to loosely categorize the alt rock bands that came out of the Seattle scene in the early 90s. That's fair; I don't know much about them, so I'll rescind that statement. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, going back to the main subject, I completely think that Green Day is a much better band than both Foo Fighters and Linkin Park, and not just because of personal bias. Just as a note, I'm labeling FF post-grunge because that's a common term I've heard to describe their style of music, and I don't just want to label it all alt rock, even though that's what all these bands are on the broadest level. I say that I'm not a grunge fan because I don't much like the music of the bands commonly associated with the term. I like some Alice In Chains, but I just personally find Pearl Jam and Soundgarden so boring musically. As for FF, I used to like their music, and I don't know what happened; I guess I just started to find it kind of repetitive. That's something GD has that I don't think that FF has--the ability to make big changes to their musical style all while retaining many of the hallmarks of their sound. Green Day has a lot of variety in its discography. As for the Foos, I liked The Colour and the Shape, Wasting Light, and Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace. I honestly can't find a single track that I like on either Saint Cecilia or Sonic Highways--the band's sound has become bland and unexciting for me. Now, on the subject of Linkin Park, I must admit that I never liked nu metal at all. I disliked St. Anger's more nu-metal-inspired sound, as well as much of Diabolus in Musica. Looking at it objectively, I'd say that Hybrid Theory and Meteora are good records. I'm not personally a fan, but I can see why they're known as some of the best of the genre. After that, well...Linkin Park started drifting away from that sound and not in a good way either, IMHO. I think that GD manages to change its sound while remaining relatively musically consistent with each album release.

People seems to label everything from Seattle as grunge like Pearl Jam and AIC got labeled altho AIC does have some grunge sounding songs they were more metal side basically grunge is metal the description of grunge are songs that's played slow (tempo) loud and heavy and usually have no melody to it which is why I never understood why Nirvana was in that as the only album they came close to grunge was Bleach and even then only a few songs fit the description and it's cool if you're not a fan of a certain group 

• 4 weeks later...

Pearl Jam and AIC are grunge. I read it on wikipedia.

On 22. 7. 2016 at 2:36 AM, WhiteTim said:

1 minute ago, PussySlayer said:

7 hours ago, PussySlayer said:

Pearl Jam and AIC are grunge. I read it on wikipedia.

Lol wiki 

Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters.  Have all their albums but that's how I would rank them.

3 minutes ago, Virtuous Xman said:

Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters.  Have all their albums but that's how I would rank them.

EDIT* NVM I thought you said you dont know how you would rank them!

1 hour ago, Eric said:

EDIT* NVM I thought you said you dont know how you would rank them!

No question, GD/ FF have the longevity and lasting power and more complete albums and dedicated fanbases. LP has some great singles and is not too shabby themselves- they put on good shows and also have a good fanbase. This thread is in the realm of highly subjective so there's no wrong answer- it's music- there's no fastest time, no record, no Super Bowl. But being the highly biased GD fan that I am, I would say GD by a mile, FF is great, and LP has its great moments.

Green Day has been around since 19 fuckin' 88.  And you're gonna give me 3 bands to choose from?  What the fuck?  Saw them all live - Green Day puts on the best live show. 

1 hour ago, TimmyChunks said:

No question, GD/ FF have the longevity and lasting power and more complete albums and dedicated fanbases. LP has some great singles and is not too shabby themselves- they put on good shows and also have a good fanbase. This thread is in the realm of highly subjective so there's no wrong answer- it's music- there's no fastest time, no record, no Super Bowl. But being the highly biased GD fan that I am, I would say GD by a mile, FF is great, and LP has its great moments.

LP has more variety, a better singer, well TWO, better completely albums and classics. If anything the willingness to change up a bit and go back to classic Linkin Park definitly makes them a lot better than Foo Fighters. One could easily argue better than GD, but yeah I doubt that here.

23 minutes ago, Eric said:

LP has more variety, a better singer, well TWO, better completely albums and classics. If anything the willingness to change up a bit and go back to classic Linkin Park definitly makes them a lot better than Foo Fighters. One could easily argue better than GD, but yeah I doubt that here.

I agree with you, and LP is definitely my 2nd favourite band. I just have a hard time putting them above Green Day in terms of epic ness because Green Day's been mainstream 8 years longer and are still really relevant. If Linkin Park is still making solid albums and has all their original members is in 2025, I'm sure they'll be in the HOF, and it'll be between them and Green Day for sure. I have a feeling the Foos are gonna start fading out since Sonic was kind of a bomb and they don't seem to have the young fan base like Green Day and LP.

Archived