Green Day vs Linkin Park vs Foo Fighters.. Who is it??

Justin1

In my opinion, those are the biggest millennial generation bands (Fan base born 1982-2001), but it isn't really easy to decipher the biggest and most influential. Even though I'm bias, I'd probably say Green Day considering they still seem to be the most relivent and are thought to have created pop punk. Linkin Park would be a close second, although the Foo's seem to attract massive crowds at concerts. I admit.. It ain't easy to choose.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are on a Green Day Forum. The majority of people on here will say Green Day. 

17 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

are thought to have created pop punk.

Ever heard of Buzzcocks?

I want to know why all the fans that are the same age as the band aren't included.  Don't we matter.  :cry:

Yea, Generation X, unite! Green Day is definitely the winner, by the way. It's the lyrics!!! Billie Joe's lyrics are way above the rest. Musically, who knows, they are different anyway.  

21 minutes ago, Mary Daze said:

You are on a Green Day Forum. The majority of people on here will say Green Day. 

I just mean by looking at it objectively.. Obviously Green Day is a lot of people's favorites on here (Definately mine), But I'm curious who people think is the biggest of our generation.. Like the Beatles were in the 60's and 70's, ya know? Lol

In North America maybe. I'd have the Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes in there too. As far as the bands mentioned above I think the Foo Fighters draw the biggest crowds.

In my opinion..

60's-70s - Beatles

70's-80's - Rolling Stones/Led Zep

80's-90's - U2

90's-00's - Green Day/LP/Foo's

00's-10's - Hopeless.. Lol

3 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

In North America maybe. I'd have the Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes in there too. As far as the bands mentioned above I think the Foo Fighters draw the biggest crowds.

If we're talking about the indie revival, the Libertines were pretty instrumental in that.

5 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

In my opinion..

60's-70s - Beatles

80's-90's - U2

Bad Religion bro. Suffer is an amazing album

You forgot the backstreet boys

And today's generation has One Erection I mean One Direction

That has to be a first.  I've never heard anyone call U2 influential before.

My take:

60's/70's - Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Rolling Stones

80's/90's - Nirvana, Green Day, Radiohead, REM, Michael Jackson

00's - Green Day, RHCP

6 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

That has to be a first.  I've never heard anyone call U2 influential before.

My take:

60's/70's - Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Rolling Stones

80's/90's - Nirvana, Green Day, Radiohead, REM, Michael Jackson

00's - Green Day, RHCP

Definately agree about Elvis and Michael as solo artists.

I think bands like Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars were pretty U2 influenced.

REM was huge for a while, but I don't think have many fans under 30.. RHCP would be there with Green Day for 90s bands that are still relivent for sure.. But I don't Think they had the impact Green Day has with inspiring tons of big bands, beatles style. 

13 minutes ago, JorickF said:

Foo Fighters are probably the bigger band right now.

Not even. LINKIN PARK :woot: 

1 minute ago, Justin1 said:

Definately agree about Elvis and Michael as solo artists.

I think bands like Muse and 30 Seconds to Mars were pretty U2 influenced.

REM was huge for a while, but I don't think have many fans under 30.. RHCP would be there with Green Day for 90s bands that are still relivent for sure.. But I don't Think they had the impact Green Day has with inspiring tons of big bands, beatles style. 

Are you asking for our opinion on who was most influential or who is most relevent??  That is a big difference.  Again, music is not only for the under 30 crowd.  Bands such as Pearl Jam, Beck, Nirvana and Live were all influenced by REM.  

I don't see the U2 influence.  They are just a pretty typical stadium rock band with a bombastic front man   

15 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Are you asking for our opinion on who was most influential or who is most relevent??  That is a big difference.  Again, music is not only for the under 30 crowd.  Bands such as Pearl Jam, Beck, Nirvana and Live were all influenced by REM.  

I don't see the U2 influence.  They are just a pretty typical stadium rock band with a bombastic front man   

I guess a combination of both being relevant and influencial. Bands that can appeal to all groups in some way and still create amazing music.. Not easy to find both in one band.

Obviously bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam were massive, but Nirvana only had 3 Full length studio albums and Pearl Jam doesn't appeal to both sexes the way Green Day does.

I dunno.. Just my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

I guess a combination of both being relevant and influencial. Bands that can appeal to all groups in some way and still create amazing music.. Not easy to find both in one band.

Obviously bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam were massive, but Nirvana only had 3 Full length studio albums and Pearl Jam doesn't appeal to both sexes the way Green Day does.

I dunno.. Just my opinion. 

You are actually confusing me because you keep throwing out different rules.  The amount of albums an artist had has nothing to do with their influence.   I have never heard anyone say Pearl Jam appeals more to men than women.  As a matter of fact, I've always thought of them appealing more to females than males.    Why would whether a band appeals to more of one sex change the influence they have had?

Don't bring up Foos here! You'll receive many angry replies (speaking from experience)

1 hour ago, Justin1 said:

In my opinion..

60's-70s - Beatles

80's-90's - U2

U2 were still bigger than Green Day, LP and Foo Fighters during the 90's and 00's

Linkin Park were not around in the 90's they were 00s -10s

Green Day LP and Foos were all big in 00 - 10

10s - present have been hopeless

3 minutes ago, RustyJoe said:

Don't bring up Foos here! You'll receive many angry replies (speaking from experience)

You're safe, he brought up U2 in the same post.  They trump the foos

1 hour ago, Justin1 said:

In my opinion..

60's-70s - Beatles

80's-90's - U2

00's-10's either is Evanescence, Lacuna Coil and Nightwish. all are pretty big, and got big around 2005. 

8 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

You are actually confusing me because you keep throwing out different rules.  The amount of albums an artist had has nothing to do with their influence.   I have never heard anyone say Pearl Jam appeals more to men than women.  As a matter of fact, I've always thought of them appealing more to females than males.    Why would whether a band appeals to more of one sex change the influence they have had?

I just think that if you're trying to determine the biggest band of a generation, they should have as much of each factor that would make them that as possible.

To me, as great as a lot of Nirvana's music was, 3 albums isn't enough material to determine that, nor did they have the longevity to say they could be the biggest of a generation. And I just can't see middle aged women enjoying most of Pearl Jam's Discography the way I could see them liking Green Day.. But hey, I could be wrong.

I just think bands like Green Day and Linkin Park have a lot of each factor that would make you like them.

Archived