Anthology-style project for Green Day: a proposal.

Gwen Stacy

I put this up on /r/greenday and they seemed to like it so I thought I'd share this here. I recently downloaded the Beatles' Anthology series and quite enjoy it. As both a huge Beatles and Green Day fan, I thought what a Green Day version would be like. Obviously apart from the Dookie Demos and Demolicious (which is pretty easy to find so none of it is here), our access to demos and studio takes are limited so the compilation would be mostly limited to notable live performances or other not easily accessible material. This is why not so much live stuff from AI and 21CB are on here because they already have official live albums. These aren't really meant to replace the live albums, moreso just to collect rarities in one place and supplement the gaps in collections. So here's how I would do it, and I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts. If anyone would want to mock up some album artwork that'd be cool.

Anthology 1: 1977-1993
1. Look For Love (1977)
2. 1,000 Hours (Live at 924 Gilman Street, 02/111989)
3. I Want To Be Alone (Live at 924 Gilman Street, 02/11/1989)
4. Only of You (Live at 924 Gilman Street, 02/111989)
5. Going to Pasalacqua (Live at Pinole Valley High School, 10/05/1990)
6. Paper Lanterns (Live at Pinole Valley High School, 10/05/1990)
7. Disappearing Boy (Live at Pinole Valley High School, 10/05/1990)
8. One For the Razorbacks (Live at WMMR) [Acoustic]
9. Words I Might Have Ate (Live at WMMR) [Acoustic]
10. 2,000 Light Years Away (Live at WFMU, 1992)
11. 16 (Live at WFMU, 1992)
12. C#(Tion) [Live at WFMU, 1992]
13. Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? (Live at WFMU, 1992)
14. Longview (Demo)
15. Basket Case (Demo)
16. When I Come Around (Demo)
17. She (Demo)
18. Haushinka (Demo)
19. Walkin’ The Dog
20. Don’t Wanna Fall In Love (Demo)
21. J.A.R. (Demo, Take 3)
22. Good Riddance (Original Version) [Acoustic]
23. 409 in your Coffeemaker (Dookie Sessions)

Notes: Tracks 8 and 9 are both found on some deluxe editions of 1039. Tracks 14-21 come from the Dookie Demo bootlegs that circulate. Track 22 is found on the German version of the Brain Stew/Jaded single; hard to tell when it was recorded but Good Riddance goes back to the Dookie sessions so it most likely came from this time. Welcome to Paradise and 409 in your Coffeemaker were both considered to be redone and put on Dookie; ultimately the former was chosen. I think it comes from a B side on the Basket Case single.

Anthology 2: 1994-2002
1. Welcome to Paradise (Live at Woodstock, 1994)
2. One Of My Lies (Live at Woodstock, 1994)
3. Paper Lanterns (Live at Woodstock, 1994)
4. Geek Stink Breath (Soundcheck, Aragon Ballroom, 11/18/1994)
5. She (Live at the Aragon Ballroom, 11/18/1994)
6. Armatage Shanks (Live in Prague 03/26/1996) 
7. Brain Stew/Jaded (Live in Prague 03/26/1996)
8. Walking Contradiction (Live in Prague 03/26/1996)
9. Stuck With Me (Live)
10. The Grouch (Live)
11. Redundant (Live at MTV, 08/05/1998) [Acoustic]
12. The Ballad of Wilhelm Fink (1999)
13. Maria (Original version, 2000)
14. Hold On (Alternate Mix, 2000)
15. Nice Guys Finish Last (Live at Goat Island, 2000)
16. Hitchin’ a Ride (Live at Goat Island, 2000)
17. Warning (Live at Goat Island, 2000)
18. Castaway (Live at Goat Island, 2000)
19. Waiting (Live at Goat Island, 2000)
20. Church on Sunday (Live at Endsession 59, 2001) [Acoustic]
21. Like a Rat Does Cheese/Dominated Love Slave (Live at Endsession 59, 2001) [Acoustic]
22. Minority (Live at Shoreline Amphitheatre, 2002)
23. Good Riddance (Live at Shoreline Amphitheatre, 2002)

Notes: Track 9 comes from Foot in Mouth. While technically a formally released live album it's not widely circulated and was never super popular, so I felt okay putting that stuff on here. Track 10 is off the Nice Guys Finish Last single. Track 13 comes from the iTunes "Green Day Collection" set.

Anthology 3: 2004-2015
1. Too Much Too Soon
2. Shoplifter
3. Governator
4. Favorite Son
5. American Idiot (Live at the Grammys, 2005)
6. Highway 1
7. 21st Century Breakdown (Demo)
8. Stop Drop and Roll (as the Foxboro Hot Tubs Live on Carson Daly, 03/06/2009)
9. Mother Mary (as the Foxboro Hot Tubs Live on Carson Daly, 03/06/2009)
10. Minnesota Girl (Live in Minnesota, 7/11/2009)
11. Stay The Night (Soundcheck, 8/23/2010)
12. Dreamcatcher (Soundcheck, 8/23/2010)
13. Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Live at the Tony Awards, 2010)
14. Holiday (Live at the Tony Awards, 2010)
15. Know Your Enemy (Live at the Tony Awards, 2010)
16. When It’s Time
17. Cigarettes and Valentines (Live in Denver)
18. Olivia (Live in Denver)
19. 21 Guns (feat. Cast of American Idiot, Live at the Grammys, 2010)
20. Amy (Live at the Tiki Hut, 2011)
21. Let Yourself Go (Live at Red7, 2011)
22. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Live at Irving Plaza, 2012)
23. Letterbomb (Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2012)
24. Nuclear Family (Live)
25. Stop When the Red Lights Flash (Live)
26. Kill The DJ (Live)
27. 99 Revolutions (Live)
28. American Idiot (Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2015)
29. When I Come Around (Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2015)
30. Basket Case (Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, 2015)

Notes: Tracks 1-3 come from the American Idiot single; once again I felt a case of official release but not wide circulation. Track 4 comes from Rock Against Bush Vol. 2. Track 6 was considered for the Stop, Drop, and Roll!!! album but never made the cut. Track 18 was released as a single in the UK only so technically for US audiences it's a new release. Tracks 19 and 20 are bootlegs but it was the first time they played Cigarettes and Valentines in public so I felt it was notable, and it was the only performance ever of Olivia. 22 is a low-fi bootleg but it somehow kinda sounds good that way. First time ever played and the best recording from the Tiki Bar gig. Track 23 is the audio from an officially released video. Tracks 25-28 were from the Japanese version of ¡Tré!, and since the trilogy never got a live album some officially mixed live tracks are welcome. I debated whether to put Lights Out and Hearts Collide in slots 13 and 14, but both are easily found on both iTunes and Google Play Music, so I decided against it.

Edit: I really didn't know where to post this, if it's in the wrong place, mods please move it and sorry in advance.

really selected and rare material...i like it..

i do love to hear this anthology..

I really think at some point they'll put an actual one out and I think it'll have a lot more unreleased songs and studio out takes, different versions, etc.

Love it. Always dreamed of this project. You only forgot “19th Nervous Breakdown, “Tony The Tiger theme,” a half-dozen other songs supposedly recorded but never released from nimrod, oh, and Cigarettes and Valentines the album which nobody stole...they just decided against career suicide in releasing a Warning Part II ;-)

Oh, and also the first mix of Dookie which was supposedly modeled after Nevermind The Bollocks...

3 hours ago, IHateYou said:

Love it. Always dreamed of this project. You only forgot “19th Nervous Breakdown, “Tony The Tiger theme,” a half-dozen other songs supposedly recorded but never released from nimrod, oh, and Cigarettes and Valentines the album which nobody stole...they just decided against career suicide in releasing a Warning Part II ;-)

Cigarettes and Valentines was intended to be a more Dookie-sounding record, rather than Warning part two, though.

1 hour ago, Ham Pascale said:

Cigarettes and Valentines was intended to be a more Dookie-sounding record, rather than Warning part two, though.

So it was Uno lol

On 3/26/2016 at 9:24 PM, Gwen Stacy said:

Track 13 comes from the iTunes "Green Day Collection" set.

Maria is actually a bonus track from International Superhits! which was a collection of greatest hits officially released in 2001. It also contained a second bonus track called Poprocks & Coke.

Great song choices! I wish we had more access to unfinished songs, alternate versions and studio outtakes. I'm somewhat jaded to live performances at this point due to all the YouTube videos I've watched over the years, haha. Hopefully Green Day will put out an Anthology or at least a Deluxe Edition of Dookie & American Idiot (like Weezer did with the Blue Album and Pinkerton).

3 hours ago, disappearing_boy_39 said:

Maria is actually a bonus track from International Superhits! which was a collection of greatest hits officially released in 2001. It also contained a second bonus track called Poprocks & Coke.

That's where the released version is. The version I used for this project is an older one that wasn't released until that iTunes collection. It's a little faster and has a lot less polish to it.

3 hours ago, disappearing_boy_39 said:

I wish we had more access to unfinished songs, alternate versions and studio outtakes.

Same here, I'd love to hear the studio material from the AI sessions. I'd put it in if we had access to it, but obviously this project could only include material that we have access to.

11 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

That's where the released version is. The version I used for this project is an older one that wasn't released until that iTunes collection. It's a little faster and has a lot less polish to it.

This isn't entirely true. The version you're referring to was first pressed as a B-side to the Waiting 7".

Ooooh...I hadn't heard this other version of Maria. Awesome! This lo-fi version almost sounds like a Trilogy song.

For anyone curios to hear this version, I found it on YouTube.

Very cool idea.  I would to see something like that, but contain more unreleased stuff instead of demos or live versions.  I would like a lot of the great covers they do to end up on record one day.    Green Day have so many songs that aren't on any releases.  Here's my choices:

• DUI
  • Grabriella 
  • Highway 1
  • Cigerettes and Valentines
  • Chocolate Rain
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Oh Girl
  • Minnesota Girl
  • Olivia
  • Things i heard Today
  • Goobye to Romance
  • Good Riddance / Monster Mash
  • Surrender / Bastards of Young / Midwest Medley
  • Walking the Dog
  • New York Song (at American Idiot Show)
  • Walk Away 
  • Hello Firecracker
  • Ruby Mae
  • Hotfoot Jamboree
  • hard Times
  • Life is so plain
  • satalite
  • can't believe my own eyes
  • Hybrid Moments
  • Strangeland (Live)  (recorded just for this release)
  • Gangster Dog Vial (New song for this release)

Archived