What is your favorite album?

njc007

Favorite Green Day Album  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dookie is the greatest teen frustration album of all time, and AI is just all-round genius.

Insomniac because it's super consistent, Warning because it's got no dud tracks and has enough variation.

I went with Nimrod for 90s because that's the one that began the experimentation which led to the sounds we would later hear on Warning and American Idiot. For 2000s I chose American Idiot because it's the album that got me into Green Day so I'm most attached to it and it's full of what I believe are some of the best pop rock melodies of the last 15 years.

Insomniac and American Idiot for me.

I must say I'm surprised Insomniac's beating Dookie in this case

I seriously do not get the Insomniac love.

I struggled between Dookie/Nimrod and Warning/AI.  I eventually went with Dookie and AI, but what I really wanted to pick was Warning and AI. 

5 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I seriously do not get the Insomniac love.

I struggled between Dookie/Nimrod and Warning/AI.  I eventually went with Dookie and AI, but what I really wanted to pick was Warning and AI. 

I can't speak for everyone but I can try to explain my love for Insomniac. There was a time when I could truly relate to it the most and since then it remained one of the few Green Day albums I still listen to in full. These albums are Insomiac, Nimrod, 21CB and the Trilogy. I agree Insomniac isn't musically very different from Dookie but the lyrics are a bit deeper and it has always resonated with me more. I do enjoy the angry mood as well it's very energetic. I can't really explain it with cocrete arguments it's just something there that makes me love it uncritically. It flows well - better than Nimrod and it's angrier than Dookie. I think that's what gives it a special place on my list of favorites. 

4 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I can't speak for everyone but I can try to explain my love for Insomniac. There was a time when I could truly relate to it the most and since then it remained one of the few Green Day albums I still listen to in full. These albums are Insomiac, Nimrod, 21CB and the Trilogy. I agree Insomniac isn't musically very different from Dookie but the lyrics are a bit deeper and it has always resonated with me more. I do enjoy the angry mood as well it's very energetic. I can't really explain it with cocrete arguments it's just something there that makes me love it uncritically. It flows well - better than Nimrod and it's angrier than Dookie. I think that's what gives it a special place on my list of favorites. 

Thanks, that was a great explanation.  

It isn't that I don't like it, I do, for me it is not one of their top albums.  I really have a problem with the vocals.  It really takes away from it that he mumbles through the whole album.  He really mumbled through alot of the first 4 albums, but Insomniac just seems worse.  I also don't like the fact that there really was Dookie harder and faster.  I think for a band to remain relevent, they really need to try something different with each album.  I don't mean they have to change styles, but just do something a little differently than they did before.  I didn't really see that with Insomniac.  I don't think they really started to do that until Nimrod.  

Like you said, sometimes we just love something.     

For me I listen to Warning and AI from beginning to end.  I listened to Whatsername 3 times in a row today.  That song is just so damn perfect.  

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

Thanks, that was a great explanation.  

It isn't that I don't like it, I do, for me it is not one of their top albums.  I really have a problem with the vocals.  It really takes away from it that he mumbles through the whole album.  He really mumbled through alot of the first 4 albums, but Insomniac just seems worse.  I also don't like the fact that there really was Dookie harder and faster.  I think for a band to remain relevent, they really need to try something different with each album.  I don't mean they have to change styles, but just do something a little differently than they did before.  I didn't really see that with Insomniac.  I don't think they really started to do that until Nimrod.  

Like you said, sometimes we just love something.     

For me I listen to Warning and AI from beginning to end.  I listened to Whatsername 3 times in a row today.  That song is just so damn perfect.  

The vocals are just buried in the mix. I wouldn't understand a word, if I didn't read the lyrics. I agree with your opinion - bands ideally should do something different each time. I just like Insomniac way too much to care about that. 

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally listen to all their albums except the first two and still like it. It's just that need to be in the mood for it and that isn't very often. I think I heard AI way too many times but still love the individual songs or listen to just a half of it. 

2 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The vocals are just buried in the mix. I wouldn't understand a word, if I didn't read the lyrics. I agree with your opinion - bands ideally should do something different each time. I just like Insomniac way too much to care about that. 

Don't get me wrong, I occasionally listen to all their albums except the first two and still like it. It's just that need to be in the mood for it and that isn't very often. I think I heard AI way too many times but still love the individual songs or listen to just a half of it. 

I still listen to all their albums, except the first two as well.  We agree on that. 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

couldn't have said it better myself! except for the part about it being one of the only albums you still listen to in full, but i will say that Insomniac and nimrod get the most listens from me, but i do listen to the ones too

51 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I still listen to all their albums, except the first two as well.  We agree on that. 

the first 2 albums are great!! I don't listen to them as much as insomniac and nimrod, but sometimes when i get into certain moods I listen to them for a week straight. I probably listen to them more than dookie actually. Billie has great solos on 1039 Smoothed out slappy hours and he does more interesting guitar work. it's kinda funny, he seemed to dumb down the guitars more on each new album since the first one up until nimrod. maybe a lot of it is just nostalgia for me, i remember listening to the first album a lot in my basement when i was 12 and i was trying to get up the courage to call a girl i liked and ask her to a school dance, and then I used the lyrics to 80 as my signature in an email where i asked a girl out in 8th grade. definitely not a wise choice on my end haha

sorry for my old guy rant!

I wanted to pick Warning and AI.  Warning is just amazing to me; the varied lyrics, textures, Billie's vocals, everything. Reminds me of the Beatles Rubber Soul! AI is the first Green Day album I ever bought. I was 38 years old! A student played some of it for me when it came out; "Wake me up when Sept. ends." and I heard something special there right away. I bought and listened to it over and over, it's just magnificent. 

Third choice would have been Trilogy as a set....I know, I know.....tbut here are some strong melodies and heartbreakingly honest lyrics in some of those songs once you separate the wheat from  the chaff and get over the terrible mixing.

18 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

the first 2 albums are great!! I don't listen to them as much as insomniac and nimrod, but sometimes when i get into certain moods I listen to them for a week straight. I probably listen to them more than dookie actually. Billie has great solos on 1039 Smoothed out slappy hours and he does more interesting guitar work. it's kinda funny, he seemed to dumb down the guitars more on each new album since the first one up until nimrod. maybe a lot of it is just nostalgia for me, i remember listening to the first album a lot in my basement when i was 12 and i was trying to get up the courage to call a girl i liked and ask her to a school dance, and then I used the lyrics to 80 as my signature in an email where i asked a girl out in 8th grade. definitely not a wise choice on my end haha

sorry for my old guy rant!

I have to disagree with you there.  Everything on the first 2, actually first 4 albums, is pretty basic, musically.  None of the guitar he writes is overly difficult, but it definitely got more difficult in the later albums. The first tow albums sound like they were written by teenagers, which they were.  They show the potential that was eventually realized.

That is an adorable story.  Feel free to rant anytime

The first two are musically simplistic but I will admit that Billies lyrics are really quite good. For a high school kid, he really knew how to pack a punch with poetry.

The poll enables the user to select every option so in 90's section I went with all the albums and Warning, AI, 21stCB and Tre! from the 2000's LOL!

Anyway I will go with Dookie and American Idiot. Now you'll think I selected these albums just because they were major hits but nope. 39/Smooth was a good album my favourites are At The Library, Dry Ice, 16 and Rest (not to mention it was the first ever ballad song by them) but Kerplunk was more fast paced and more complex in structure if compared to the previous one, hence it was definitely a step ahead and much better. Talking about Dookie I think it was during this time they found their signature sound and I liked the overall labour behind it, even though being restricted from performing in Gilman and they were not much of a professional band during that time but still pulled up a solid album and musically they wanted it to make like first four Black Sabbath albums and the Sex Pistols album so the direction was right. If Dookie wouldn't have been majorly liked by fans all around, Insomniac would have not got a harder sound though it is also a great album and surely they evolved from the previous album both musically and lyrically and was a bit more heavier and riffs were downtuned. They made Nimrod in the same vein of Clash's London Calling but for me musically it was a bit washed up, anyway Scattered and Good Riddance are always my favourites.

Warning was surely a major step ("Waiting" is the real gem from the record) but the sound being too diverse didn't made everyone hooked with it but still a way good album. I would call AI as "renaissance period" for Green Day and their passion for making a unique album made it my favourite. 21stCB was again a whole new level but for me it is their most professional record ever. Uno and Dos were going in right direction but the creepy lyrics and an overall polished sound prevented me from liking it too much and Tre reminds a bit of AI and 21stCB musically and was best out of trilogy.

Archived