What is your favorite album?

njc007

Favorite Green Day Album  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

The poll enables the user to select every option so in 90's section I went with all the albums and Warning, AI, 21stCB and Tre! from the 2000's LOL!

Anyway I will go with Dookie and American Idiot. Now you'll think I selected these albums just because they were major hits but nope. 39/Smooth was a good album my favourites are At The Library, Dry Ice, 16 and Rest (not to mention it was the first ever ballad song by them) but Kerplunk was more fast paced and more complex in structure if compared to the previous one, hence it was definitely a step ahead and much better. Talking about Dookie I think it was during this time they found their signature sound and I liked the overall labour behind it, even though being restricted from performing in Gilman and they were not much of a professional band during that time but still pulled up a solid album and musically they wanted it to make like first four Black Sabbath albums and the Sex Pistols album so the direction was right. If Dookie wouldn't have been majorly liked by fans all around, Insomniac would have not got a harder sound though it is also a great album and surely they evolved from the previous album both musically and lyrically and was a bit more heavier and riffs were downtuned. They made Nimrod in the same vein of Clash's London Calling but for me musically it was a bit washed up, anyway Scattered and Good Riddance are always my favourites.

Warning was surely a major step ("Waiting" is the real gem from the record) but the sound being too diverse didn't made everyone hooked with it but still a way good album. I would call AI as "renaissance period" for Green Day and their passion for making a unique album made it my favourite. 21stCB was again a whole new level but for me it is their most professional record ever. Uno and Dos were going in right direction but the creepy lyrics and an overall polished sound prevented me from liking it too much and Tre reminds a bit of AI and 21stCB musically and was best out of trilogy.

Why would you say they were not a professional band???  I don't ever recall them saying they were influenced by Black Sabbath and there is no way in hell they were influenced by that fake boy band The Sex Pistols 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

Why would you say they were not a professional band???  I don't ever recall them saying they were influenced by Black Sabbath and there is no way in hell they were influenced by that fake boy band The Sex Pistols 

Well around Dookie they were really not a professional band, they signed to Reprise recently at that time and I remember one article where it said they were not even having their own band mobile or van (before Dookie got hit and was successful) and they used to go in gigs with the help of Tre's dad so they were definitely not that huge.

I'm not a big fan of Black Sabbath but they have mentioned their early albums as influences for Dookie (not to mention, Sabbath's first five albums have been really influential for many bands) and to be honest Sex Pistols are nothing more than a "fashion brand" for me but still they have been counted influential for the album. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dookie#Background_and_recording

14 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Well around Dookie they were really not a professional band, they signed to Reprise recently at that time and I remember one article where it said they were not even having their own band mobile or van (before Dookie got hit and was successful) and they used to go in gigs with the help of Tre's dad so they were definitely not that huge.

I'm not a big fan of Black Sabbath but they have mentioned their early albums as influences for Dookie (not to mention, Sabbath's first five albums have been really influential for many bands) and to be honest Sex Pistols are nothing more than a "fashion brand" for me but still they have been counted influential for the album. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dookie#Background_and_recording

Dude, you seriously have to stop reading wikipedia.  If you would like I will go on wikipedia and say how I'm the biggest influence in their career.

Just because they rode around in a band doesn't make them a professional band.  They were a band that was being paid to play their music, that makes them a professional band.  They were doing it for a living.  

43 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Frank Edwin Wright II's tenure as Green Day's tour bus driver continued well into Insomniac era if not longer. They hired Tre's dad as a tour bus driver around the time of Dookie's release.

Before Dookie, in approximately mid-to-late 1992 and 1993, Green Day was almost just as successful as Fugazi - in Billie's words, and Fugazi was the biggest indie band in USA at the time. Green Day, at the time, were pretty well-off - for musicians who didn't have day jobs, that is. Just to put the things in perspective, Billie, Mike and Tre all got brand new expensive equipment in 1992 - which would be insanely hard to afford for a young, broke band. And, as for transportation means, I can recall only one occasion when not owning a van prevented Green Day from driving out of state to play a few shows with Brent's TV. But that was early 1991, before Green Day were even remotely known, let alone actually making ANY profit out of playing music.

18 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Just because they rode around in a band doesn't make them a professional band.  They were a band that was being paid to play their music, that makes them a professional band.  They were doing it for a living.

8 minutes ago, Ham Pascale said:

Frank Edwin Wright II's tenure as Green Day's tour bus driver continued well into Insomniac era if not longer. They hired Tre's dad as a tour bus driver around the time of Dookie's release.

Before Dookie, in approximately mid-to-late 1992 and 1993, Green Day was almost just as successful as Fugazi - in Billie's words, and Fugazi was the biggest indie band in USA at the time. Green Day, at the time, were pretty well-off - for musicians who didn't have day jobs, that is. Just to put the things in perspective, Billie, Mike and Tre all got brand new expensive equipment in 1992 - which would be insanely hard to afford for a young, broke band. And, as for transportation means, I can recall only one occasion when not owning a van prevented Green Day from driving out of state to play a few shows with Brent's TV. But that was early 1991, before Green Day were even remotely known, let alone actually making ANY profit out of playing music.

Ok guys this time you tried really well to beat me to it :P By saying professional I didn't mean they were not making money with music they were doing the same while being in Lookout but compare Lookout/early Dookie period GD to post-AI/21stCB period GD, the name was way more huge in the latter period. And Fugazi- biggest indie band? I thought they were pioneers of Emo Hardcore.

4 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Ok guys this time you tried really well to beat me to it :P By saying professional I didn't mean they were not making money with music they were doing the same while being in Lookout but compare Lookout/early Dookie period GD to post-AI/21stCB period GD, the name was way more huge in the latter period. And Fugazi- biggest indie band? I thought they were pioneers of Emo Hardcore.

The definition of professional is being paid to do something, whether it is a musician, athlete or accountant.  Just because they were more famous is in the AI/21CB era does not mean they were not a professional band in the Lookout/early Dookie era.  It just means that they were paid more and had the means to travel in a more comfortable manner and to put on a more extensive show.     

Just now, Siddharth_471 said:

And Fugazi- biggest indie band? I thought they were pioneers of Emo Hardcore.

Yes. Indie as "independent", "underground", not as a genre. Fugazi, as well as being emo hardcore pioneers (well, not really, since Rites Of Spring started out earlier that them), were notorious for making relatively big profits out of playing music while staying indie.

35 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Poor ¡DOS! :lol:

I really don't get the lack of votes for ¡Dos!. I think it's the most inspired and by far the most cohesive of the trilogy.

20 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

I seriously do not get the Insomniac love.

I struggled between Dookie/Nimrod and Warning/AI.  I eventually went with Dookie and AI, but what I really wanted to pick was Warning and AI. 

This letter represents my love for insomniac, may be it will help : http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/a-love-letter-to-green-days-insomniac/844887

But yet again,it's all personal , i personally really love insomniac cause i just love simple,sincere stuff so for example, Westbound Sign is so much more valuable than whole american idiot to me.And i don't care too much about album comparisons .

So i think my love for insomniac has it's logic and it's right for every album, it's even understandable if someone says 39/smooth is their best album.I just can't  get how some people can say "dookie is the only good one" but may be someday i will

13 minutes ago, Private Ale. said:

This letter represents my love for insomniac, may be it will help : http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/a-love-letter-to-green-days-insomniac/844887

But yet again,it's all personal , i personally really love insomniac cause i just love simple,sincere stuff so for example, Westbound Sign is so much more valuable than whole american idiot to me.And i don't care too much about album comparisons .

So i think my love for insomniac has it's logic and it's right for every album, it's even understandable if someone says 39/smooth is their best album.I just can't  get how some people can say "dookie is the only good one" but may be someday i will

I never said that anyones love for Insomniac was illogical, nor did I say the albums I like are the only good ones.  I said I didn't understand it.  To me, it is just Dookie harder and faster.  I like Insomniac, I just don't get why so many people are so attached to it.   I was really just curious to what everyone thought was so spectacular.

22 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

I never said that anyones love for Insomniac was illogical, nor did I say the albums I like are the only good ones.  I said I didn't understand it.  To me, it is just Dookie harder and faster.  I like Insomniac, I just don't get why so many people are so attached to it.   I was really just curious to what everyone thought was so spectacular.

Well, what i'm saying is that insomniac can be the best green day album ,for me at least it's at top 3 . and it has it's reasons ,as i tried to tell.

It's not my favorite, but Insomniac appeals to me more than Dookie because it's faster and angrier, which is what I prefer personally. It's also a lot more consistent. The latter half of Dookie meshes in my head. Even after so many listens through the album over the years I still can't distinguish most of them. On the other hand, most of the songs on Insomniac are very memorable to me. There's more creativity displayed on that album as well with songs like Panic Song (one of my favorites personally).

6 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

It's not my favorite, but Insomniac appeals to me more than Dookie because it's faster and angrier, which is what I prefer personally. It's also a lot more consistent. The latter half of Dookie meshes in my head. Even after so many listens through the album over the years I still can't distinguish most of them. On the other hand, most of the songs on Insomniac are very memorable to me. There's more creativity displayed on that album as well with songs like Panic Song (one of my favorites personally).

I agree that the angrier mood is a part of what I like about it, but I don't think it blends less than Dookie. All the songs have the same sound so I'd say it's just that you like it better :P I do as well and it has always seemed that it flows better and it's much shorter, but objectively, songs on Insomniac sound more like each other than songs on Dookie.

17 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree that the angrier mood is a part of what I like about it, but I don't think it blends less than Dookie. All the songs have the same sound so I'd say it's just that you like it better :P I do as well and it has always seemed that it flows better and it's much shorter, but objectively, songs on Insomniac sound more like each other than songs on Dookie.

What is really interesting, is that I understand that you really like Insomniac, but  alot of what you say are the reasons it is not one of my favorites.  The songs on Insomniac do all sound very similar, where on Dookie they don't.  I do agree that I think Dookie blends just as well as Insomniac, but it does it with songs that sound different.  There are some real stand outs for me on Insomniac.  I love Geek Stink Breath, Panic Song, Brain Stew and Stuart and the Ave.  After that they just kind of meld.

Let me say this, I'm not srue what I would think if Insomniac came before Dookie.  I guess teh main thing about it is I don't see much that is different between Insomniac and Dookie.  I like to see them, or any band, trying new and interesting things and I just didn't see that happening between Dookie and Insomiac.  Since Dookie came first, it feels more original to me.  Plus, if someone made me pick a favorite song of all time, I would probably say WICA, so I guess there is my soft spot.        

2 minutes ago, amberwhite said:

Me too on the WICA. Brings a smile to my face every time. 

You got me playing it in my head now! perfect song.

I had a hard time picking my favorite 90's album because I like them all. For the 00's it was an easy decision, I picked American Idiot, but I love Warning too.

I agree with WICA being my all time favorite song. I usually listen to it several times in a row because it's so good. 

I've thought about it and I think I figured out why Insomniac just doesn't appeal to me like it does to others.  I remember when Dookie came out, I felt like I was hit across the head.  The album was so amazing and touched me on so many levels.  It was so ground breaking.  I remember thinking that this has to be the best band I have ever heard.  I was so excited to hear their next album.  Then when Insomniac came out, I was like this is it?  It didn't feel much different than Dookie, it just lacked that originality, that spark.  While there were songs I liked very much on it, it just didn't blow me away.  I remember thinking how I still liked them, but maybe they were not the best band in the world anymore.  Then Nimrod came out and I started to think differently again.  I know alot of people on here first heard the band with AI, and alot of them were disappointed with 21CB maybe for the same reason I was with Insomniac.  It wasn't all that much different when you were expecting to be blown away again.   

OK, speech over

On 3/16/2016 at 9:23 PM, njc007 said:

Mine is personally Nimrod.

That is the album that got me into Green Day, and most of the music I love today.  Heard Good Riddance on the radio, maybe one of the other singles too.  Ordered it out of one of those catalogs back in the 90s and I was shocked and in awe of the other songs.  My mom and I both loved it.  So I bought everything they did after that.  I bought Warning, Superhits and Shenanigans when they were released.  After that I had to have more (good thing too because American Idiot was still a few years in the making) So I tracked down Dookie, then the older albums.   Hard to believe Nimrod is fast approaching 20 years old!    WOW!  

I was a different kid!  

20 years has gone so fast!  

(also   - ABSOLUTELY no LOVE FOR DOS, hahaha!)

On 3/18/2016 at 10:02 PM, JJ1964 said:

What is really interesting, is that I understand that you really like Insomniac, but  alot of what you say are the reasons it is not one of my favorites.  The songs on Insomniac do all sound very similar, where on Dookie they don't.  I do agree that I think Dookie blends just as well as Insomniac, but it does it with songs that sound different.  There are some real stand outs for me on Insomniac.  I love Geek Stink Breath, Panic Song, Brain Stew and Stuart and the Ave.  After that they just kind of meld.

Let me say this, I'm not srue what I would think if Insomniac came before Dookie.  I guess teh main thing about it is I don't see much that is different between Insomniac and Dookie.  I like to see them, or any band, trying new and interesting things and I just didn't see that happening between Dookie and Insomiac.  Since Dookie came first, it feels more original to me.  Plus, if someone made me pick a favorite song of all time, I would probably say WICA, so I guess there is my soft spot.        

You hit the nail on the head now. We had completely different expectations from Insomniac. Whereas you wanted them to move, I hoped for Dookie part two. That was the music my 12-yr-old self wanted to hear and would be disappoined with anything else.

I haven't been a big WICA fan, but the way you talk about it made me listen to it  again more carefully and it has grown on me a lot. It's a sweet tune and the lyrics are true. 

+1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours
+Kerplunk

And of course American Idiot & 21CB.

Archived