Peter.

Blink-182

On 25/07/2017 at 1:57 PM, Harry Potter. said:

Feldmann did an AMA on Reddit last night and of course instead of properly responding to any constructive criticism he dodged all potential bullets. Here are some examples.

Hide contents

Q: What is the deal with the overwhelming amount of whoaoaoaoaoaoaoao nanananananananannananananss on new blink songs? legitimate question

A: I grew up on the ramones and Pennywise and 80s and 90s punk rock… I never really thought about it it's just part of my influence so when the guys would write a part it felt natural and I never over thought it… My job is the producer is to keep the bands vision in line.. blink are some of the best writers I have ever worked with and I love the album we made

Q: Hey John, Feldy, etc.

Big fan of California and the Deluxe record, and a few of The Knife tracks are stuck in my head!

It's been clear to me since Bored to Death dropped that you have a lot of respect for Blink's legacy and are a big fan of the late great Jerry Finn, but have some techniques or ideas that don't translate quite as great to us Blink fans as you perhaps intended.

Without attacking or saying it's all bad, I'd like to know how you aim to help Mark, Matt, and Travis really flourish and make an organic, developed, creative Blink record while retaining their singalong roots and refined sound (that doesn't stray so far as to become unrecognizable)?

Thanks for doing this AMA, I think with a bit of open communication on the goals and plans with the band, the fan community can move on from a toxic atmosphere and continue to have fun and enjoy the music!

A: Jerry Finn is one of the greatest producers to ever have lived and I've never pretended to be anywhere near as brilliant as he was. He influenced me more than any other producer and I could never fill the shoes that he left. I know without question I did the best I could to let the band be who they are. I can't look back with regret because I have none. I was so honored to be part of this album.

Q: Hi John,are you happy with California and blink-182? Would you change something about that album?

A: We worked so hard on that album. Plus I was working with Skiba, one of the most unique singers and lyricists ever, Hoppus, could be the best lyricist ever.. Travis the best drummer ever...may have been one of the best experiences I've ever had in the studio... I wouldn't change anything

I hate his answers because they highlight everything that's wrong with his production and he shows no signs of acknowledging the legitimate concerns of the fans. This is clear as his answers either go completely off-topic, as he does in the second example where instead of opting for communication with the fans as the questioner suggests, he needlessly compares himself to Jerry Finn before concluding that he does not regret any of the choices he made on the album.

Then of course there is the whole other level to his bullshit, since he clearly lies when saying things like "I never really thought about [the whoahs and nanas] it's just part of my influence so when the guys would write a part it felt natural and I never over thought it… My job is the producer is to keep the bands vision in line.." Clearly, it was not the band's vision to put unnecessary whoahs and nanas in every song, since they never did it to this extent before. In fact, basing one's judgement solely on the music, Feldmann's influence is indubitable given that the new Goldfinger record sounds identical to California. I just wish he would acknowledge these things and be honest with the fans.

I completely agree, but in fairness he's not going to turn around and be like 'yep I fucked up there with all the woahs'.

To be fair, the Deluxe version has been much better in regards to the nanana's and woah's. Parking Lot is the only track that uses nanana's, Misery has some ooh's and Hey I'm Sorry (which was written at the same time as the original California) has Woah-oh's. Other than that none of the Deluxe tracks have any of these overused lyric fillers. And Parking Lot was probably written at the time of the original album too cause it kinda sounds like the original album more than the other deluxe tracks.

I think Feldmann has realised that the nanana's and woah's were overused. California is in the past now so there's not much point in bringing it up.

California Deluxe was better, but I still wasn't overly impressed. I just came to realize I really don't care about Blink with Matt Skiba anymore. Best to them, but I'm over it.

So, I came back to this forum after many years of vaguely remembering it once existed, and decided for the hell of it to do a google search and see if there was any evidence of it still existing. I was surprised to find it does, and that my account still exists, and that I could remember my logon info....
Anyway I'm surprised I never posted in this thread before now, but no matter. Been listening to Blink-182 since I was about 12 or so.... my older brother got into them around when Enema Of The State was new, and I don't know why, just one of my favorite rock bands. It's nuts though, I only ever had the reissue of Buddha on CD until just this year - finally got my hands on Enema Of The State (found a still sealed copy with the red cross on the cover, but not a "capital B" cover, which is no matter to me, wouldn't really care about having one of those), and I finally went ahead and bought Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch after so very long of wanting to have legit copies of those.

See, with the internet being so rich with, erm, downloads over the years, I always just got most of my music digitally. Well, after a while two things won me over (three actually, I think) - 1) any band I like and support, not exactly supportive if I'm finding their stuff, erm, digitally and not paying for it..... 2) stopped liking the idea of digital, since who says I'll always have it? Computer hard drive could die and I lose everything I've ever obtained, so I like having a hard copy for any time. Same goes for say movies and other stuff though..... 3) I started preferring my stuff to be nearly CD quality. I looked into a program called Exact Audio Copy, and that's how I deal with my own rips anymore.

But yeah. Now I'm just at a point where, I'd love to get the original Buddha audio either in FLAC or even WAV..... I'm not about to spend $400-$700 for one of those original tape cassettes though. I wish I could find someone who does have one of those original tapes, and could kindly rip the audio for me - I know I said I have the CD reissue, and it's not bad, except it's missing 3 of the original tracks the tape had. I watched a documentary on Tom just this year, and basically The Family Next Door became my new favorite Blink song.

Aye, the problems of being a big fan of a band, eh? I found a FB group, and I've been too shy or scared to ask if anyone on there has the original tape, and if they would mind doing a good quality audio rip..... I'm sure that group has some rule that prohibits either asking, or people sharing shit like that. I was even apprehensive about asking on the Blink-182 subreddit. I did try PM'ing one person, but never got a response.
I decided to ask Mark Hoppus on twitter if in 2024, they might possibly re-issue Buddha as a 30th anniversary edition with ALL tracks it ever had. Who knows if he'd even consider that, especially just from a fan.

Oh well. But yeah, Blink-182 for life!!

P.S. I had also considered finding a "Blink" version of Cheshire Cat (CD), but if it's a matter of any collector or seller would want over $100 for one, I decided forget that..... I'm not that crazy of a fan or collector.

Eh, I'm rambling on at this point.

Edited by Degenerated

This image was in a Cracked list about things you don't want to admit to your friends or something like that :

Ovygtcy.jpg

Why? I hate the stigma around Blink as being oh it's something I listened to back then and I'm ashamed to admit I like them now. That's so dumb. If you like the music, who cares? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

This image was in a Cracked list about things you don't want to admit to your friends or something like that :

Ovygtcy.jpg

Why? I hate the stigma around Blink as being oh it's something I listened to back then and I'm ashamed to admit I like them now. That's so dumb. If you like the music, who cares? 

Yeah, this attitude sucks. I took a Green Day poster with me from a festival this summer. One guy saw me and told me that my life must really suck (or something like this, I don't remember the exact words, but I know what he meant). Some people just feel superior cause of their taste in music. That's actually very childish. We should allow everyone to enjoy whatever they like.

2 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Yeah, this attitude sucks. I took a Green Day poster with me from a festival this summer. One guy saw me and told me that my life must really suck (or something like this, I don't remember the exact words, but I know what he meant). Some people just feel superior cause of their taste in music. That's actually very childish. We should allow everyone to enjoy whatever they like.

Wow, how dumb. I remember in college when I was waiting by the bathroom for my friend to finish up this group of guys walked by. I was wearing a Blink shirt and one chuckled Blink-182 oh yeah right they're cool. And I was like...what? Funny thing is 3 years later when they reunited and released Neighborhoods everyone was decked out in their gear. People can be so shitty with their music sometimes. It's supposed to be fun. Who cares?

2 hours ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

Yeah I completely agree. It's not like anyone really goes out and talks down about other genres (and to the people that love them), like pop or country. Myself, I can't stand either of those two, but I don't care if other people love them and live their lives listening to any performers of those genres. I think the worst I would ever dare to say, in the words of Deryck Whibley "the cool thing about playing rock music all over the world, is that, you get to share this unity through music with other people..... and in my opinion, I think you only get that feeling with rock music. I don't think you feel anything with pop".
If you still love listening to Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41, The Offspring or who ever else - and you've been listening to them since say the 90's or late 80's, depending on when ever a certain band or artist started, there's no shame in still listening to the music or loving the band or artist, still now.

• Like 2