Message to Green Day

Beerjeezus

7 hours ago, st_trillie said:

If management were reading this I'd ask how many idiots did Billie walk past before taking the stage at iHeart Radio and making himself into a "joke". Physically restraining him (assuming it would have been required) cancelling and getting him help would have been what anyone should have done in his state (obvious even in the backstage interviews). Of course money is the only true motivation for management and record companies etc. Fuck people's health. Yuck. 

I thought about this too because at first I was like "how could they let him on stage? Wasn't it obvious this would be a disaster?" But in fact, this show wasn't much different. Was he smashed? Yes, but he's played shows while drunk before and everything was just fine. Besides he said he was convinced he could continue with the tour and refused to cancel before. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Fuzz said:

It's pretty clear that you know absolutely nothing about the team who surround the band and what their motivations are. If you don't think those people care about them as individuals, you're a fool. To sit around on a high horse and proselytize right and wrong about a situation that you know very little about shows your own ignorance.

They (management who by the way is not simply Pat) let him continue touring etc and after he went to rehab Mike told Kerrang/NME his situation had been so bad Mike had been worried about his life (can't remember the exact words but he made it sound dire). Im not claiming to know a lot about the team surrounding them but it doesn't take any knowledge of the team to know letting anyone take the stage in that state is at the very least poor management. I also know you are going to stick up for them since it's in the interests of GDC not to insult the band's management. 

36 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

They (management who by the way is not simply Pat) let him continue touring etc and after he went to rehab Mike told Kerrang/NME his situation had been so bad Mike had been worried about his life (can't remember the exact words but he made it sound dire). Im not claiming to know a lot about the team surrounding them but it doesn't take any knowledge of the team to know letting anyone take the stage in that state is at the very least poor management. I also know you are going to stick up for them since it's in the interests of GDC not to insult the band's management. 

You're saying "let" him but it was his decision. He's a grown man and his health is his business and what he does or doesn't do is his choice. He was still turning up to play shows and playing them properly, it might not have been within their power to say he had to stop because they thought he was having a personal problem, as that falls under the category of his personal business to judge. We even know that they urged him to cancel shows at short notice and go to rehab but he had the power to say no and carry on. To say they let him carry on for the money is a baseless accusation, we don't know their motivations or how things happened so it's unfair to make that judgement.

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

You're saying "let" him but it was his decision. He's a grown man and his health is his business and what he does or doesn't do is his choice. He was still turning up to play shows and playing them properly, it might not have been within their power to say he had to stop because they thought he was having a personal problem, as that falls under the category of his personal business to judge. We even know that they urged him to cancel shows at short notice and go to rehab but he had the power to say no and carry on. To say they let him carry on for the money is a baseless accusation, we don't know their motivations or how things happened so it's unfair to make that judgement.

I agree with you, however iheart was bound to be a bad show. He did not look like a person in the shape to play a show but we can't determine now if it was possible to predict that it won't go well. It's easy to judge in hindsight and it's a fact that the other shows before that were good. In general, it wasn't a good decision to risk a bad show when the event was televised but I think no one expected it because all the shows that preceded were good. 

Whatever may have been the issues with Billie during that time but one thing I admire is that he went amazingly with the rest of the band for the remaining tour, I remember they were regularly playing shows, performed Dookie in it's entirety on two occasions, went on to play one of their best ever live shows: Reed and Leeds festival of that year. Do I need to go on? Enough said! 

2 hours ago, st_trillie said:

You have to understand that he had an addiction and addicts usually don't want or acknowledge that they need help until they either hit bottom or admit to themselves that they need help. It's the nature of all addicts. I know it's hard for families and friends to watch someone self destruct but you can't help the person if they don't want help or until they are ready to admit that they need help. 

57 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

You have to understand that he had an addiction and addicts usually don't want or acknowledge that they need help until they either hit bottom or admit to themselves that they need help. It's the nature of all addicts. I know it's hard for families and friends to watch someone self destruct but you can't help the person if they don't want help or until they are ready to admit that they need help. 

This. Every single person at iHeart backstage, his manager, Warner,  Mike, Tre, his wife, God himself, could have told Billie to not step on that stage but the bottom line is that it had to be all his decision or rehab would have been meaningless. 

So my message to Green Day management would be (since that is the point of this thread, isn't it?): THANK YOU for supporting Billie Joe and having faith in him. We are thankful he his healthy and back in the studio!

You're all forgetting that he did cancel one show, in Bologna. It was meant to happen on September 2nd, between Shepherd's Bush (August 23rd) and iHeart (September 21st). Though he had no choice but canceling as he was in hospital, it wasn't either a decision he made or a decision recommended by their management, it just had to be. As some of you were saying, people close to him were trying to get him into rehab at this point, which shows how stubborn he is if after canceling a show because of his problems he thought he could keep going, or maybe it's just something typical of addicts as @unextraordinarygirl says. Trying to take the position of a member of his team, forcing his will to continue touring after Bologna would be something I wouldn't do, he's not a 5 year old. As for iHeart, the case was different as he was clearly not well in the moment he was going to take the stage, but what can you do really... it was a 30 minute set after all, it was probably going to be okay... It's a difficult matter for sure. I wouldn't send any message, blame or support, to the management in this case, because we don't know what happened and I personally don't know what would have been best. Whatever happened, happened. 

Yes! I completely agree. I wouldn't want to go to a gig with someone of that calibre for him to be knackered and out of breath. He needs his strength to rock! 

4 hours ago, Hermione said:

I never said "they let him carry on for the money". I said record companies (note the S) and management only care about money. I was speaking generally not specifically about this case. I disagree however that it was Billie's decision to take the stage at iHeart Radio because he clearly was too intoxicated to make a rational decision and his management have a responsibility to protect the integrity of the band therefore round about the point when he indicated he might "fuck the shit out of Gwen Steffani" or offered to show that interviewer his "landing strip" a responsible member of management might have politely shoved Billie into a guitar case for the night and told the iHeartRadio folk he had a dancing parasite again. 

19 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

I never said "they let him carry on for the money". I said record companies (note the S) and management only care about money. I was speaking generally not specifically about this case. I disagree however that it was Billie's decision to take the stage at iHeart Radio because he clearly was too intoxicated to make a rational decision and his management have a responsibility to protect the integrity of the band therefore round about the point when he indicated he might "fuck the shit out of Gwen Steffani" or offered to show that interviewer his "landing strip" a responsible member of management might have politely shoved Billie into a guitar case for the night and told the iHeartRadio folk he had a dancing parasite again. 

They must have been so used to it by then that nobody found it worth a cancellation.

35 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

They must have been so used to it by then that nobody found it worth a cancellation.

I think iHeart was different though, I don't think that he was in that state before or at the shows that they played around the time. I'm seeing they played in NY only a few days before (the story about the park and all) and I haven't seen any interviews or anything where he showed he was that affected. Or maybe they exist but I haven't seen them, what I know is that I saw him live less than a month before iHeart and he seemed fine. 

41 minutes ago, sara_gd said:

I think iHeart was different though, I don't think that he was in that state before or at the shows that they played around the time. I'm seeing they played in NY only a few days before (the story about the park and all) and I haven't seen any interviews or anything where he showed he was that affected. Or maybe they exist but I haven't seen them, what I know is that I saw him live less than a month before iHeart and he seemed fine. 

Fair enough, I don't recall it was that bad before except for Foxboro shows. He seemed totally fine at that NY show - the park story is almost hard to believe. For us there really wasn't much to indicate it was so bad.

18 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Fair enough, I don't recall it was that bad before except for Foxboro shows. He seemed totally fine at that NY show - the park story is almost hard to believe. For us there really wasn't much to indicate it was so bad.

I wouldn't say totally fine, he looked really upset during Wake me up when september ends.

2 minutes ago, mrduckygoosy said:

I wouldn't say totally fine, he looked really upset during Wake me up when september ends.

True, wouldn't attribute that to the drinking, though. However, he did look tired and sort of ill.

I was just about to say, it's super uncomfortable to read so much wild speculation about such a personal topic. And it's annoying that these types of threads always devolve into the iHeart incident. It was 3 1/2 years ago, let it go.

I'd like to ask anyone who is responsible for the sound of the Trilogy why did they put it out that way.  Demolicious sounds way better in my opinion and I'd be curious to hear the ideas that were behind the changes they made.

I would ask what's the worst part of being in Green Day. And I presume the answer would be "having to do shit like this and answer questions from you people"

On 04/03/2016 at 7:05 PM, Fabio Guren said:

Please release the song "World vs World" (or "What about today")...

And You Can't Fool Me.

I just want to say thank you for literally saving my life. I actually handed Joey Armstromg an 11 page letter thanking the Armstromg family and green day for saving me. Joey promised he'd read it but that's all I want to say to green day. Thank you thank you thank you for all the love to believe in!

On 3/4/2016 at 3:59 PM, Jane Lannister said:

Hey ho less. 

Seriously?! No way! Hey oh will ALWAYS BE A THING! Wait, are you talking hey Ho as in The Ramones or Billie's heeeeeeeyyy oooooohhh?

1 minute ago, courtneyevon said:

Seriously?! No way! Hey oh will ALWAYS BE A THING! 

Yeah I like the hey ohs. It gets the crowd into it.

Archived