For those of you who have met Green Day (or got on stage during a show), tell us the story.

XxXxXxXxX

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I had a great time with Billie. You can read it here

Got a good laugh out of the pictures, thanks!

I met Billie outside of the St. James after American Idiot. It was just dumb luck, I shouldn't have even been at the front of the barricade because I didn't wait outside, but I went out after the show and people kept moving around and leaving so I snuck up there. I met Mike at a meet and greet, that was planned (but also lucky because I'm pretty sure he didn't do meet and greets anywhere else on that tour). Met Tre behind the venue after a show - just dumb luck that he happened to be the one to come out and greet the fans. Getting onstage wasn't planned either, the guard just saw that I'd been waving a sign and also that I'm a very small individual and easy to toss up on stage haha. I saw them all outside of the Hall of Fame on the barricade with @AlissaGoesRAWR but I don't count that as meeting them since I didn't get any autographs or photos that time, I just got to be within a couple of feet of them :P It's all just luck, being in the right place at the right time. Mike is the nicest. Tre is the weirdest. Billie is nice but you can tell he's not comfortable with the crowd aspect of things, which makes me admire how willing he is to get close and personal with the fans. Over all I've had great experiences with all of them, they are extremely kind and give us opportunities that most bands of their level of fame would not give without a VIP package or some shit.

Edit: This "story" was really impersonal, so I'm gonna share my favorite Green Day story, which actually doesn't involve meeting the band at all. I've told it on here before but that was on my old account that's history now so here we go. I was front row at some show or another standing in front of one of those little risers on the stage. During Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Billie came over and put his foot on the riser and leaned down towards the crowd, he was pretty much in my face. Everyone around me (of course) whipped out their phones and started taking pictures except for me (because I'm a snob and believe in experiences over photos). So he looks right into my eyes and sang I don't even remember how many lines of BOBD, maintaining eye contact the whole time. I'm sobbing, natch, and singing along and that connection was easily my favorite thing that's ever happened at a show and means more to me than any other experience I've had at a Green Day show.

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I'd share my story of meeting Tre. A couple friends and I were out one night in San Francisco and, after many many many drinks were consumed, decided the next logical place to go would be this Philly cheese steak place in my neighborhood. After ordering, we went and sat down at the counter to eat and it was right by where all the different sauces were positioned. This guy leans over my friend to go after the buffalo sauce and I noticed his black nail polish. I looked up and it's Tre Cool. I'm thinking to myself holy shit, this can't be happening. We played it cool and quickly realized he was equally as hammered as us. We talked to him for about ten minutes covering topics like: how good this place was to, tre's words, "eat when your hammski'd"; him saying my friend reminded him of his son (friend was 25 at the time); talked shit about Morrissey and then proceed to spill hot sauce all over my friend's jacket. We told him we were excited they were going on tour again and that we'd be there in Berkeley (Trilogy tour) to see them to which he replied, "Nice. I'll be there too." Super chill dude that was just having a solid Friday night.

I've got a bunch.

Jan 5 2011 (The best birthday of my life) I waited outside after the matinee and Billie came out and signed autographs (I heard later that he usually didn't come out after the matinees so I lucked out with this one) I had him say happy birthday to me on camera and he signed a pic I had taken of him when I saw them live.

My avatar. When I finally got my pic with him

I met Mike after a Foxboro Hot Tubs show. Some random guy was selling roses for a dollar so this girl bought one and Mike came out and went to the car. He rolled down the window and the girl who bought the flower went up to him and gave it to him and he told us a dirty joke. "What's better then flowers on a piano. Tulips on an organ"

Tre I met after the show at Barclays Center. He signed my phone case.

Jason White I met the last day American Idiot was playing on Broadway. They were all at this place having drinks and he came out for a cigarette 

Jason Freeze and Jeff Matika I met at opening night of American Idiot.

I've met Billie a bunch more times (8 to be exact) all when he was in American Idiot. Living 45 minutes from NYC really pays off.

28 minutes ago, JT said:

Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I'd share my story of meeting Tre. A couple friends and I were out one night in San Francisco and, after many many many drinks were consumed, decided the next logical place to go would be this Philly cheese steak place in my neighborhood. After ordering, we went and sat down at the counter to eat and it was right by where all the different sauces were positioned. This guy leans over my friend to go after the buffalo sauce and I noticed his black nail polish. I looked up and it's Tre Cool. I'm thinking to myself holy shit, this can't be happening. We played it cool and quickly realized he was equally as hammered as us. We talked to him for about ten minutes covering topics like: how good this place was to, tre's words, "eat when your hammski'd"; him saying my friend reminded him of his son (friend was 25 at the time); talked shit about Morrissey and then proceed to spill hot sauce all over my friend's jacket. We told him we were excited they were going on tour again and that we'd be there in Berkeley (Trilogy tour) to see them to which he replied, "Nice. I'll be there too." Super chill dude that was just having a solid Friday night.

Nice story! Glad to be part of your first post!

4 minutes ago, Robin105 said:

I've got a bunch.

Jan 5 2011 (The best birthday of my life) I waited outside after the matinee and Billie came out and signed autographs (I heard later that he usually didn't come out after the matinees so I lucked out with this one) I had him say happy birthday to me on camera and he signed a pic I had taken of him when I saw them live.

My avatar. When I finally got my pic with him

I met Mike after a Foxboro Hot Tubs show. Some random guy was selling roses for a dollar so this girl bought one and Mike came out and went to the car. He rolled down the window and the girl who bought the flower went up to him and gave it to him and he told us a dirty joke. "What's better then flowers on a piano. Tulips on an organ"

Tre I met after the show at Barclays Center. He signed my phone case.

Jason White I met the last day American Idiot was playing on Broadway. They were all at this place having drinks and he came out for a cigarette 

Jason Freeze and Jeff Matika I met at opening night of American Idiot.

I've met Billie a bunch more times (8 to be exact) all when he was in American Idiot. Living 45 minutes from NYC really pays off.

wow you're really lucky!!!

Back in June 2009 I finally got to attend my first Green Day concert at their first ever show in Fargo, North Dakota. A week or something before the show I came onto Green Day Community and there was a thread about there being a meet and greet in Fargo so I immediately freaked out and tried to figure how to get a wristband for it. It was happening at the West Acres Mall in Hot Topic and they were only giving away 300 wristbands for it. I lived 100 miles away from Fargo with no car - so you can imagine how insane I went for a while LOL. Luckily I tracked down a cousin who lived in Fargo and she ran to the mall for me and got me a wristband.

The day of the concert I got to the mall and was around 20th in line out of the 300 people. In the autograph line it was first Mike, then Billie, and Tre was last... when it was my turn I put my acoustic guitar on the table and Mike was like "Wow, look at this thing!" and he asked how I was...when he was done I shook his hand and as I went onto Billie Joe I froze up a bit and it all went by so fast....I told him that it was my first Green Day concert and he said, "Oh really?! Well I hope you have an awesome time!"...and before I knew it - Tre was autographing my guitar and Billie was already talking to the next person but I realized I didn't shake his hand...so I just stuck my hand out and by that time Tre had already signed my guitar and was just kind of waiting...and I was just standing there with my hand out and finally the word "Billie" came out of my mouth and he looked at me and smiled and shook my hand. Then I could feel security sneaking up on me so I grabbed my guitar and was like See ya Tre! And he was like See ya! Then I left and I laugh about the moment all too often lol 

But it's seriously all thanks to GDC that I knew about that meet and greet early enough to get a wristband so thank you! :D 

12 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

Edit: This "story" was really impersonal, so I'm gonna share my favorite Green Day story, which actually doesn't involve meeting the band at all. I've told it on here before but that was on my old account that's history now so here we go. I was front row at some show or another standing in front of one of those little risers on the stage. During Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Billie came over and put his foot on the riser and leaned down towards the crowd, he was pretty much in my face. Everyone around me (of course) whipped out their phones and started taking pictures except for me (because I'm a snob and believe in experiences over photos). So he looks right into my eyes and sang I don't even remember how many lines of BOBD, maintaining eye contact the whole time. I'm sobbing, natch, and singing along and that connection was easily my favorite thing that's ever happened at a show and means more to me than any other experience I've had at a Green Day show.

Totally feel the same about the eye contact while singing along thing, absolutely the best for me too. At FBHT he was taking it in turns leaning in and singing to people during Sally, and he got to me looking into my eyes singing while I sang back and I could've died. He had a freshly opened can of beer so as was the custom I opened my mouth for him to pour it in and he smirked and did it, so I was left drenched in beer and laughing. The whole thing only lasted a few moments but it was the most surreal and memorable thing ever.

Closest to meeting them I got was just seeing them come out after that show, only watched them and called out bye to Billie though :P 

I met Jeff Matika at a Banner Pilot show last year in a small town in Italy and an even smaller club that held probably 35 people. I was with three friends, we waited the end of the concert to say hi. We did, I told him the set had been awesome, he high-fived me, I wished him a (belated) happy birthday since his birthday had been just a couple days before, then we went outside and he signed a cd for me and took pictures with me and one of my friends. He gave the setlist to my other friend who panicked and ended up asking him if he knew Billie Joe Armstrong :lol: He was super cool though, and struck me as a quite shy guy, quite the opposite of what he seems on Twitter. 

I have met Tre and Mike...no Billie yet.

It was 2011 at the Music in Schools Today charity golf outing that Mike and Tre put on in Oakland. My, my dad, my cousin from Chicago, and my bass player went out there to play in the event. Before we teed off I saw Mike in the pro shop and kind of made an ass out of myself because I was in fan girl mode. He was in there alone so I went in with my cousin to get a picture with him (because I didn't know if there would be any other opportunities. He asked me what my name was and after I told him he said, "oh cool, that's my daughter's name." To which I replied "I know" like some sort of creepy stalker.

Met Tre during our round of golf on one of the tee boxes because he was up there with a bunch of cheerleaders. He had a giant bag of pot brownies in his cart. So we got a picture with him as well.

After the round was over, we were inside the clubhouse for the reception. I talked to Butch Vig for a bit and asked if they had talked about him doing their next album as well. He said that they talked a little bit but didn't have any real plans.

Then I talked to Tre for a bit more. He was incredibly scatter brained and we just chatted about random shit for like 5 minutes.

The highlight of the evening was having a conversation with Mike for anywhere between an hour and hour and a half. I just stood there with my dad and cousin and Mike talked to us like we had been friends for ages. Talked about us coming out from Arizona and how my cousin flew in from Chicago. Talked about golf. Talked about music. We were all drinking so he made sure that we had plans to get a cab back and told us to let him know if we had any trouble finding somebody to get a cab for us. Just a really amazing dude all the way around.

On 2/21/2016 at 1:09 PM, Brooklyn Baby said:

I saw them all outside of the Hall of Fame on the barricade with @AlissaGoesRAWR but I don't count that as meeting them since I didn't get any autographs or photos that time, I just got to be within a couple of feet of them :P It's all just luck, being in the right place at the right time.

I'll be the first to admit that we had no business being in that barricade spot at the Hall of Fame! We waited maybe 10 minutes top and had no clue what was going on... it really does just come down to dumb luck, doesn't it? I also count it as me "meeting" them, however, because it's all I have going for me right now in the "times I've touched Green Day" department. :P 

On 2/21/2016 at 2:50 PM, Jane Lannister said:

I made sweet love to the Rev after a Foxboro Hottubs show. It was rad

Is this supposed to be a hidden message

• 5 months later...

I met Tre Cool at our hotel in Pittsburgh during the 99 Revolutions Tour. We were only staying in this fancy hotel because we'd got an Expedia Secret Saver Deal cheaper than any of the budget hotels! He was in the lobby as I got out of the lift. I told myself that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't speak to him! When he saw me approaching he joked "Oh no!". I told him that the Gretsch had sounded great in Chicago and he asked me if I'd been at the Rosemont show to which I replied that I had. He then asked me which other shows I was going to and so I told him I'd be at the Pittsburgh and Philly shows. I was really, really nervous and kind of lost my voice a bit. I had no paper or pen so couldn't ask for an autograph. All I had in my pocket was my mobile phone and so I gestured to the phone to mean could I have a photo with him. He said no because of social networking problems, he was sure I understood. He was with some people and I turned imploringly to them as if they might say yes! They told me "that's the rules". I don't even know what I said then because I was so embarrassed and nervous. I think I kind of just walked off. When I went to go back up to the room he was still sat on the sofa in the hotel lobby and grinned at me! It killed me at the time not to disclose where Green Day were staying or which member I'd met but I never told anyone but a couple of really close friends well, until now!

Passed Jason White and Jason Freese in the lobby of the St James Theatre in NYC. I said "hi" but they just glared at me!

I was standing by the Freddie Mercury Statue in Montreux, Switzerland when Tre, Jason White, Jeff Matika and Greg Schneider, the photographer (there might have been more of them - I know Billie wasn't with them because other people met him elsewhere at that time), got off a boat onto the quay there! This was totally unexpected, we had no clue that they'd be there. I think they saw Green Day shirts and made a run for it but I distinctly remember Tre staring at me and smiling from a distance! @MariaGloria is my witness!

This totally doesn't count but at the Wembley Stadium show (or could have been Marlay Park since I was closer to the stage there), Billie walked out along the platform and obviously everyone turned their heads to follow him. I looked back to the stage and waved at Mike...and he totally saw and waved back :cool: that's pretty much the only interaction I've ever had with any of them. :lol:

back in 2012 I won a pre-listening for Uno! at their show in Mönchengladbach, Germany.

It was totally crazy. A friend and I we were allowed to go in their tourbus and listen to Uno! with like 15 other people who won the same thing.

Form the tourbus you could see the crowd going crazy to Angels & Airwaves and All Time Low.

After all time low were finnished the band went off the stage and walked by just 5 meters away from us eating some fastfood.:lol:

While Uno! was playing first Tré showed up, talked a little bit with us, made some jokes and was gone as soon as he came.

Then Mike came and stayed a little  longer, he singned our stuff and I asked him if they would play Kill The DJ tonight.

He said something like "Proboaby not yet but you know we can play it"

I said "I know I watched your show at Echoplex on YouTube"

thats all I can remember....

Best Day In My Whole Fucking Life:runaround:

43 minutes ago, basketcase4933 said:

I met Tre Cool at our hotel in Pittsburgh during the 99 Revolutions Tour. We were only staying in this fancy hotel because we'd got an Expedia Secret Saver Deal cheaper than any of the budget hotels! He was in the lobby as I got out of the lift. I told myself that I'd never forgive myself if I didn't speak to him! When he saw me approaching he joked "Oh no!". I told him that the Gretsch had sounded great in Chicago and he asked me if I'd been at the Rosemont show to which I replied that I had. He then asked me which other shows I was going to and so I told him I'd be at the Pittsburgh and Philly shows. I was really, really nervous and kind of lost my voice a bit. I had no paper or pen so couldn't ask for an autograph. All I had in my pocket was my mobile phone and so I gestured to the phone to mean could I have a photo with him. He said no because of social networking problems, he was sure I understood. He was with some people and I turned imploringly to them as if they might say yes! They told me "that's the rules". I don't even know what I said then because I was so embarrassed and nervous. I think I kind of just walked off. When I went to go back up to the room he was still sat on the sofa in the hotel lobby and grinned at me! It killed me at the time not to disclose where Green Day were staying or which member I'd met but I never told anyone but a couple of really close friends well, until now!

Passed Jason White and Jason Freese in the lobby of the St James Theatre in NYC. I said "hi" but they just glared at me!

I was standing by the Freddie Mercury Statue in Montreux, Switzerland when Tre, Jason White, Jeff Matika and Greg Schneider, the photographer (there might have been more of them - I know Billie wasn't with them because other people met him elsewhere at that time), got off a boat onto the quay there! This was totally unexpected, we had no clue that they'd be there. I think they saw Green Day shirts and made a run for it but I distinctly remember Tre staring at me and smiling from a distance! @MariaGloria is my witness!

I still remember being woken up by you charging in shouting "MARIA! I just met Tre!" in a super serious tone :lol: I never really got the social media thing since you could have shared it without a photo but whatever.

Also Tre stuck his tongue out at you when his car passed in Glasgow but you were the only one of the group we were in who didn't see it!

Never met them so here's one of my "this doesn't count but still" stories :P Mike and Billie remembering me in Costa Rica

Q0JIsgO.jpg

l31EyUg.jpg

i'm pretty sure i've told these stories a million times but i've made a new account since then so that's my excuse for telling them again :lol:

back in 2009 i went to nashville to see them and met tre, mike, and jason freese. we were doing some sightseeing the day before the show, waiting at a crosswalk to cross and i looked across the street and tre and jason were standing there, waiting to go the opposite way. i'm pretty sure i was in shock and didn't know what to do so we just kept walking, lol. an hour or two later we were in a gift shop on broadway when i turned around and tre was right behind me. i didn't know what to do again so i said "tre" and he turned around and looked at me and i said "hi" and turned bright red and he said "hi" and then i ran away because i'm awkward. jason freese was there to and we talked for ten or fifteen minutes, he was really cool, took a picture with us, and told me about his baby named tennessee who weighed 10 pounds at birth :lol: tre came over at some point and joined the conversation, i don't remember anything he said but i remember him throwing plastic balls at jason. later that day we were walking to subway and i looked up as a white van was stopped at the light next to us, tre was sitting at the window of the van waving to us and making faces. then i screamed because i was a 17 year old girl and scared everyone else on the street :P 

i met kind of mike the next day with a group of people while he was getting food in a bbq joint, i didn't actually say anything because #shy but he was really sweet and told everyone to take care of each other in the pit at the show. 

i've never met billie (and tbh i don't even know if i could handle it if i did lolol) but he told me he loved me at the house of blues so now i can die happy :happy: 

I had the opportunity to make a tour on the backstage of a Green Day concert, at the I-day festival in 2012. I met Jason Freese and saw Mike chatting with Tom DeLonge (Angel and airwaves were playing too)... I was too shy to say hello, sadly. Well... I touched Tre's drum and Blue at least. This is the only evidence of the event :D 
192987_4109575150491_1292459528_o.jpg

Not so cool fact: that concert never happened. It was the melt down show a few days before the iHeart's shit. 
Not so cool fact n*2: I did the same kind of tour during the Heineken Jammin' Festival 2010. Also that GD concert never happened, a storm destroyed the stage 30 minutes before the beginning of the show. This is why I will never do this thing again in my entire life. Fuck.  

I hope I'll have a story to post in this thread one day....:P

I hope you do too! Maybe on the next tour?

Archived