What song do you relate to the most?

Ayrtonralston

:sorry:I relate to having a blast the most as much as I hate to admit it......

What Green Day song do you relate to most and why?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck Time

OK, not a joke.  When you have been with someone for a very long time, it sometimes gets difficult to have passion in a relationship.  I think that is what Billie is saying here, how he still wants that passion after all these years, it is just hard to find it sometimes.

Another one is Church on Sunday because I think it is the greatest love song ever written.  It isn't a sappy, I love stay with me forever kind of song, but a realistic song of what it really takes to maintain a relationship.     

I know these are mostly joke responses so far but we can't have a thread made up of a list of song titles :P. Please say something about how/why you relate to the song as well as just writing the title if you're going to reply (I'll add that to the first post as well).

Good idea for a thread OP, and welcome to GDC! Green Day topics like this belong in Green Day Chat, so I've moved it there :) 

work wise I relate with Stuck With Me a lot. I work construction in upstate NY, so I'm only usually working about half a year, and then when I do work these companies only need me for a week or two at a time and then "throw me back into gutter" so to say #downclassedbythepowersthatbe

Lazy Bones. The mind can really fuck you up, and it sucks. It's nice to have songs that encapsulate that and somehow make it ok. 

One of my lies . stuff like thinking the world turns around you then realizing you are wrong , thinking you're indestructable and lying. I actually think this song captures me like no other but can't express it enough with that bad english. One of my lies  for me is really inspring lyrically as some people say the same for jesus of suburbia. i think it's underrated lyric wise

Christie Road it has a lot of lyrics that have a strong connection with me emotionally !

2 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Fuck Time

OK, not a joke.  When you have been with someone for a very long time, it sometimes gets difficult to have passion in a relationship.  I think that is what Billie is saying here, how he still wants that passion after all these years, it is just hard to find it sometimes.

Really? Is that what he's saying?

Fuck Time

Another one is Church on Sunday because I think it is the greatest love song ever written.  It isn't a sappy, I love stay with me forever kind of song, but a realistic song of what it really takes to maintain a relationship.     

Hahaha...ok there's delusional and then there's thinking Fuck Time is about still wanting passion in a relationship with someone you've been with for many years. Unless of course he's been with Amanda for many years. Did you somehow miss 

"Oh, AMANDA Jones, your holy grace,
I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face,
Got dirty thoughts in a dirty mind,
Ahhhh,

Oh baby, baby, it's fuck time,
You know I really want to make you mine,
There's nothing left to say, yeah"

2 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

Hahaha...ok there's delusional and then there's thinking Fuck Time is about still wanting passion in a relationship with someone you've been with for many years. Unless of course he's been with Amanda for many years. Did you somehow miss 

"Oh, AMANDA Jones, your holy grace,
I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face,
Got dirty thoughts in a dirty mind,
Ahhhh,

You know I really want to make you mine,
There's nothing left to say, yeah"

You know people can get whatever they want out of a song.  Just because I think of it one way does not mean that it is the same way you think of it, that is the beauty of music, we all hear what we want to hear. 

Green Day fans will believe anything to keep Billie's lyrics from sexualizing or not relating to women. Anyone who thinks Fuck Time isn't about using a woman as a sexual object for fun is delusional.

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Green Day fans will believe anything to keep Billie's lyrics from sexualizing or not relating to women. Anyone who thinks Fuck Time isn't about using a woman as a sexual object for fun is delusional.

Fuck Time could be about a guy as well. 

2 hours ago, Private Ale. said:

One of my lies . stuff like thinking the world turns around you then realizing you are wrong , thinking you're indestructable and lying. I actually think this song captures me like no other but can't express it enough with that bad english. One of my lies  for me is really inspring lyrically as some people say the same for jesus of suburbia. i think it's underrated lyric wise

Thank you! Lyric wise One of my lies is my favorite green day song!

The Grouch. When I was a kid I had big plans about being this great person in life (such as being a soccer player or have a band or any shit like that) which I haven't got any near that and became this whiny-disappointed person so I kinda see myself on the lyrics :P I relate a lot to Deadbeat Holiday too. Great lyrics! 

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Fuck Time could be about a guy as well. 

What? How? Billie has explicitly said that it's about a woman.

Honestly, 16 kinda resonates with me. I get the existential stuff he's saying in that, and the difficulty growing up/maturing.

18 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

What? How? Billie has explicitly said that it's about a woman.

Nothing in the song itself says explicitly it's about a woman as far as I remember. 

You know people can get whatever they want out of a song.  Just because I think of it one way does not mean that it is the same way you think of it, that is the beauty of music, we all hear what we want to hear. 

I completely agree that people get what they want from music. People associate songs with occasions, events, seasons, people, times in their lives etc. A song written about a break up can be someones first dance at a wedding because they fell in love listening or dancing to it. We all screw about the words to make them relate to our lives or take away some relevance even if it's just that we find the melody of a love song soothing at a time of grief or a break up song somehow romantic when we are loved up. It doesn't mean that the actual lyrics change their meaning in reality however. If you had said I like Fuck Time because it makes me think of blah blah or it reminds me of blah or whatever then that's 100% legitimate but you said

"I think that is what Billie is saying here"

and realistically Billie actually named Amanda so I struggle to see where any interpretation can be viable after that.

Obviously you can still get whatever you want from the song but I think it's clear that when Billie Joe Armstrong wrote that song he had a certain individual in mind...or else he had a major typo :lol:

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Not true...we never tried to defend Troublemaker :lol:

Archived