Dookie is 22 years old

Private Ale.

If someone says Dookie is the only good Green Day album, most of the chances are they didn't even listen to others and just heard somewhere that this is a cool thing to say.

But it really is a good album and some bands couldn't exist without it.

Sassafras Roots is my favourite for now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Sassafras Roots" is one of my favorites on the album too! Obviously, one of my favorite Green Day albums and probably one of the best 90s albums out there.

Emenius Sleepus is one of my favorites from Dookie. Althuogh it was definately a solid album, I would have to put it in probably 4th place for my favorite albums by Green Day.

Any album that has When I Come Around on it needs to be put on a pedestal. The rest is pretty damn good too.  My most underrated, Having A Blast. 

1 minute ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

WICA all time favourite song - the song that first got me into GD & also thest best video imo. 

Were you reading my mind??  We typed at teh same time

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

Any album that has When I Come Around on it needs to be put on a pedestal. The rest is pretty damn good too.  My most underrated, Having A Blast. 

Were you reading my mind??  We typed at teh same time

& we are friends again - but you are still a bitch ?

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree Having A Blast is a great song. I see why it couldn't get into the spotlight it deserved to. 

Yes, it is not exactly politically correct.

In The End is my favorite but really close to that is Longview 

7 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Yes, it is not exactly politically correct.

That's why I regret that I missed the Vienna show where they played it. I wouldn't be so eager to hear Dookie in full because knowing what song comes next isn't what I like at concerts but HAB is one of my favorites and I'm pretty sure I won't have a chance to hear it live or at least it's very unlikely. I almost cried at school when I saw the setlist the next morning and realised how dream-coming-true would that show had been to me. 

My favourite opening line for an album.

Ironically I guess I did grow up.  

...but sometimes I still don't care!

8 hours ago, tigress said:

I bought it the day it came out. /old

Not old!

Happy Birthday to a great album and it made back on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 98

Billboard 200 Chart Moves:

Green Day’s Dookie (a re-entry at No. 98 with 6,000 units; up 93 percent and 5,000 sold; up 170 percent).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6859396/billboard-200-chart-moves-dr-dre-compton-hits-a-half-million-madonna

22 Years Ago Today – Green Day Release Commercial Breakthrough LP ‘Dookie’ (Watch Woodstock ’94 Mudfight Set)

22 years ago today (2/1/94) Green Day released their third album and their first on a major label), Dookie. That night, they play a gig at Slim’s in San Francisco with The Dead Milkmen. Dookie was the band’s first collaboration with producer Rob Cavallo and its major record label debut. Dookie became a worldwide commercial success, peaking at No. 2 on the US Billboard 200 and charting in seven countries. Dookie produced five hit singles for the band: “Longview”, “When I Come Around”, “Basket Case”, a re-recorded version of “Welcome to Paradise” and the radio-only single “She.” Watch Green Day’s Woodstock ’94 set, where they got into to the dirty festival action with a mud throwing set. When fans began throwing mud they didn’t hesitate to throw back, culminating in a near-riot where a security guard mistook basset Mike Dirnt for a psychotic fan and smashed his front teeth out. Green Day would then become one of the biggest band in the world during 1994/1995.

http://www.glidemagazine.com/video/22-years-ago-today-green-day-release-commercial-breakthrough-lp-dookie-watch-woodstock-94-mudfight-set/

Such a great album! It has the best Green Day song of all on it, Longview :wub: 

It's an understatement to say I love Dookie and seeing the band play it live three times in 2013 was an amazing dream come true...as though I had had the chance to time travel! I love almost every song on this album and would find it hard to pick a favouite though it's hard to beat F.O.D. when your in a bad mood (and it's awesome live!) and She has always been one of my favourite Green Day songs ever with lyrics that leave me feeling empowered somehow but Coming Clean is the song that really stands out to me on this record as it took a lot of guts for Billie to release such an honest song at that stage in their career and it really helped at lot of fans to deal with their own feelings about their sexuality and identities so I think that was awesome.

18 hours ago, tigress said:

I bought it the day it came out. /old

Welcome to the club! So did I, on a cassette. Wow I'm really old! LOL 

I think allthose people that claim to be old are so lucky.Especially those ones who went to Live in jaded concert

I love the album through and through. It is one of the best Green Day albums so far. 

The music, the angst, the lyrics that I can relate to even now! I just love blasting this album on my speakers every once in a while. 

Since I saw them x3 about this time 2 years ago on the 20th anniversary you would think GD could have performed dookie front to back just for me.  

It came out ages before I was born hahaha :lol: I don't know if it's among my top favorite GD albums, maybe it's because (I've mentioned this before) since I can't really relate to the lyrics, I cannot establish some emotional bond with the music. The only song I ever really felt connected to on that album was Basket Case. And oddly enough, for me to fully enjoy music, I have to leech myself onto it. :lol: I still really like it overall, though. It has a a very lighthearted, blare-it-out-your-car-speakers sound, and I do like it a lot for that reason. It's expressive.  Plus, I've learned that When I Come Around is an excellent song to play at a dance. :D So happy (One day late) birthday to Dookie! Damn... My nephew is lucky, his birthday is on the same day an iconic punk record was released. :D 

Archived