Billie Joe response to High School censorship of AI

desertrose

There has been several news articles and comments on this from all sorts of media.  New York Times, Rolling Stone, Billboard and more.

As of now at this time, Billie Joe is trending on Facebook about this.

Just posting the information.  Any thoughts?  There are plenty on social media right now. 

His response:

dear Enfield high school board, #enfieldhighschoolmusical #highschoolidiot #enfieldidiot It has come to my attention that you cancelled your high school theater production of American Idiot. I realize the content of the Broadway production of AI is not quite "suitable" for a younger audience. However there is a high school rendition of the production and I believe that's the one Enfield was planning to perform which is suitable for most people. it would be a shame if these high schoolers were shut down over some of the content that may be challenging for some of the audience. but the bigger issue is censorship. this production tackles issues in a post 9/11 world and I believe the kids should be heard. and most of all be creative in telling a story about our history. I hope you reconsider and allow them to create an amazing night of theater! as they say on Broadway .. "the show must go on!" rage and love Billie Joe Armstrong ps. I love that your school is called "Raiders"

Response from the school director:

Something Unpredictable With “American Idiot” In High School Theatre

http://www.hesherman.com/2016/01/25/something-unpredictable-with-american-idiot-in-high-school-theatre/?platform=hootsuite

Enfield High Students Won't Perform Green Day's 'American Idiot'

http://www.courant.com/community/enfield/hc-enfield-high-school-drama-american-idiot-0126-20160125-story.html

Eric Cormier‎ to Lamplighters at Enfield High School

January 25 at 8:54pm ·

As someone who was not only an Enfield High School Lamplighter, but has worked close with the group over the last 3 years, I feel the need to say that even though emotions are running rampant during this time over topics of censorship, it warms my heart to know that at the end of the day, the arts are once again getting attention online and in news. It may not be the most positive reasons right now, but instead of wasting energy attacking others and becoming angry, we can build from this point to make sure the arts remain an asset to this community, and for other schools out there who may find themselves in a similar predicament.

I also want to thank Billie Joe Armstrong for taking the time to bring the theatre back into discussion. Unfortunately we won't be called "Raiders" for much longer, but it's nice to be recommitted out there in the world.

Saw that on Facebook. Billie creating some unnecessary drama. Fanboys in the comment section were the worse.

21 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Saw that on Facebook. Billie creating some unnecessary drama. Fanboys in the comment section were the worse.

It's not really too crazy for him to want to respond, it's his work and he values it. 

Because of the mix of people in CT, there are always some very interesting dynamics.  You can have towns where there are plenty of people on government subsidies living around the corner from billionaires.  What the director described happens often.  If one vocal, and very wealthy person, doesn't like something and complains enough, they usually get their way.  I have seen it happen often.  It is unfortunate that the others have to suffer for a small vocal group.  I think this also doesn't make sense when they decided, instead, to do a musical about a murderer that kills to feed his man eating plant.      

I think Billie is correct and he has every right to voice his opinion.   The only way this kind of behavior will change is if people oppose it.  I think it is quite noble of him to stick up for a small high school 3,000 miles away.    Children don't learn by being sheltered.  

I know the teacher that runs the plays at my girls school.  I just might talk to him about this.  They've already picked their play for this year, but maybe next.

Does anyone know what the school version of the play is like?  I know that there's a school version of Grease that removes EVERYTHING (ALL profanity, smoking, innuendo, and, I believe, entire subplots) - my high school basically did the regular (Broadway/film) version, but with some of the profanity removed ("Greased Lightning" got censored, but there was still swearing elsewhere).

Kyle Robert Burnham ‏@KyleWELM Jan 25

Billie Joe from Green Day just called out my high school for canceling the American Idiot production. Incredible.

Not going to lie — I was pretty pumped I was able to tweet about Green Day from my work Twitter account this week, since this story is relevant to my education beat. :P 

Archived