Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always cool with Rob producing. Yeah a lot of you may not like how the Trilogy sounds, but come on, that's only one bad egg in a really nice basket. I'd also like for it to just be Chris Dugan, as I think the FBHT album sounds stellar.

I know commercial success is probably not an important factor for Green Day at this point their careers, but I'm fascinated to see if they can still obtain it. Top 40 radio is a weird thing, I mean if Stressed Out by Twentyone Pilots can dominate like it has on the Hot 100, I don't think we can rule out the possibility of Green Day finding a successful top 40 sound again. My biggest question is, if they do find commercial success, what sound gets them there? The band has been on hiatus and taking part in a wide array of musical projects, could those influences affect their sound? If I was a betting man, I'd bet that if they went top 5 on the Hot 100 with any single, it's going to have heavy heavy Beatles influence. 

Reminder: "Producer" doesn't mean that's the person who produces the audible sound of an album. There is so much that goes into the sound, such as the equipment used, how the engineer uses that equipment, the recording room, recording medium (tape, digital), how it's mixed, and finally how it's mastered.

3 hours ago, Matt. said:

I didn't know this until a couple weeks ago, and it seems most don't know either, but the band had Scott Litt (REM's producer) lined up to produce Warning. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/green-day-scott-litt-split-20000218

I remember the handwritten note when it got posted on greenday.net 

I always wondered why the album ended up being self produced when they mentioned planning to work with a producer in that note.

1 hour ago, Z J said:

I know commercial success is probably not an important factor for Green Day at this point their careers, but I'm fascinated to see if they can still obtain it. Top 40 radio is a weird thing, I mean if Stressed Out by Twentyone Pilots can dominate like it has on the Hot 100, I don't think we can rule out the possibility of Green Day finding a successful top 40 sound again. My biggest question is, if they do find commercial success, what sound gets them there? The band has been on hiatus and taking part in a wide array of musical projects, could those influences affect their sound? If I was a betting man, I'd bet that if they went top 5 on the Hot 100 with any single, it's going to have heavy heavy Beatles influence. 

Green day might not care about commercial success, but Warner sure will. I wonder if they'll be putting pressure on the band to succeed after the Trilogy?

12 minutes ago, The Disappearing Boy said:

Green day might not care about commercial success, but Warner sure will. I wonder if they'll be putting pressure on the band to succeed after the Trilogy?

I'm pretty sure they don't get pressured by Warner at this point of their carreer (if they ever got). Their catalogue already supports them.

Yeah I don't think the band care about any pressure from Warner if there is any pressure from Warner that is. I'm sure the only pressure the band has to deal with is the pressure they put on themselves to maintain a high standard of music. 

If will.i.am produces the album I will refuse to listen to it. That guy is just total garbage.

Twenty One Pilots is not at all the same genre as Green Day. They're basically pop-rap. I don't see the similarity.

8 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

If will.i.am produces the album I will refuse to listen to it. That guy is just total garbage.

Twenty One Pilots is not at all the same genre as Green Day. They're basically pop-rap. I don't see the similarity.

Will I Am is actually talented don't let the late era Black Eye Peas fool ya he's done very good work with U2 Michael Jackson Earth Wind And Fire Santana John Legend and others 

I'm not warm to the idea of a Green Day album being helmed by a hip hop artist/producer but as Matt said, there's a lot more to it than that. Dugan probably plays an integral role no matter who they tag as producer.

6 hours ago, Z J said:

I think a big part of it is the age of the band members. Twentyone pilots can attribute a lot of success to their age. Same goes for 5SOS (kind of pop punk rock music), All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, etc. 14 year old girls aren't going to obsess over a couple early 40s guys. Honestly, it was surprising they did over 30 year old Green Day during the AI era.

Well Eminem is 43 and he appeals to teenage girls(and boys) like crazy. Different genre of course.

I like the idea of will.i.am producing the album.

4 hours ago, Otávio Vidal said:

I'm pretty sure they don't get pressured by Warner at this point of their carreer (if they ever got). Their catalogue already supports them.

Cigarettes & Valentines. After Warning's flop it wasn't good enough for them so it was scrapped. 

We talked about this before, and Tim stated it above, but Will.i.am produces successful music for a wide variety of genres.  John Legend, Carlos Santana, Mariah Carey, U2, The Pussycat Dolls, etc.  He is an extremely talented, versatile producer.  I really don't get why people would be opposed to him.   Rob has done an amazing job with GD thus far.  However, when you are too close to something, you tend to lose the ability to objective.  I really think Rob has reached that point with GD.  He is too close to them personally and objectively.   

4 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

Cigarettes & Valentines. After Warning's flop it wasn't good enough for them so it was scrapped. 

But that was more of a GD thing than a Warner thing 

1 hour ago, JJ1964 said:

We talked about this before, and Tim stated it above, but Will.i.am produces successful music for a wide variety of genres.  John Legend, Carlos Santana, Mariah Carey, U2, The Pussycat Dolls, etc.  He is an extremely talented, versatile producer.  I really don't get why people would be opposed to him.   Rob has done an amazing job with GD thus far.  However, when you are too close to something, you tend to lose the ability to objective.  I really think Rob has reached that point with GD.  He is too close to them personally and objectively.   

This also didn't they fight and messed their relationship for whatever reason after american idiot? That's why they worked with Vig on 21st. I remember Billie saying in a trilogy era interview that first they had to make up their friendship before they started working together again. So maybe this hole situation has made things awkward between them and Rob doesn't feel like he can say no to them(trilogy)

4 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Where did I say they were the same genre at all?  The point being that their sound is not inherently top-40 friendly, yet they've found a lot of success on the charts. 

Also  lol at the will.i.am comment

2 hours ago, Matt. said:

I think a big part of it is the age of the band members. Twentyone pilots can attribute a lot of success to their age. Same goes for 5SOS (kind of pop punk rock music), All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, etc. 14 year old girls aren't going to obsess over a couple early 40s guys. Honestly, it was surprising they did over 30 year old Green Day during the AI era.

14 year old girls are the only ones driving sales in music?

I agree that their advanced age will make it more difficult to appeal to top 40 audiences (who skew younger) but it's far more about the sound than the age. 

6 minutes ago, Z J said:

I agree that their advanced age will make it more difficult to appeal to top 40 audiences (who skew younger) but it's far more about the sound than the age. 

It was generalization.

15 minutes ago, Z J said:

Where did I say they were the same genre at all?  The point being that their sound is not inherently top-40 friendly, yet they've found a lot of success on the charts. 

How are they not Top 40 friendly? They use techno and hip-hop styles, which are both huge right now.

2 hours ago, Matt. said:

it was the guy-liner. source: was a 14 year old girl during AI era, knew the age of the band members, still would have happily smashed Billie if given the chance. And all my little 14 year old bff's felt the same.

Obviously we don't anymore but hey, teenagers amirite.

33 minutes ago, Z J said:

Their "advanced age"? Dude they are in their 40's not their 80's. 

25 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

How are they not Top 40 friendly? They use techno and hip-hop styles, which are both huge right now.

they use a whole lot more than just those styles, and the combination of them isn't something that exists on top 40 outside of them. 

14 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

Their "advanced age"? Dude they are in their 40's not their 80's. 

they're much older than the average top 40 radio listener, and 40's is old for a rock band. 

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived