Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

I liked your assumptions, and this bit made me think of nimrod.

22 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

, and with more dynamics/variety between tracks. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CrimsonArk said:

Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up about that, Green Day isn't really a particularly in demand band atm. Hell, they might be lucky to even reach number one with this upcoming album, especially if it doesn't end up having a hot single or some indication of a reinvention. Because if this just ends up being a standard Green Day album then no one is really gonna care. I just hope they aren't as "high on their own supply" as they were while recording the trilogy, where seemed like almost EVERY song they wrote made it on board, which could be further proven by the distinct lack of b-sides/outtakes that were released outside of solely State of Shock.  

They weren't particularly in demand during the time between Warning and American Idiot.

I've already stated that I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up (my own included). Something is just nagging me. I don't know what it is or why, it's just there.

We won't know where their heads are at until they start doing press for this record, but I would be VERY surprised if they didn't learn a lesson in QC after the trilogy. Maybe - just maybe - that extraordinary flop was the kick in the ass they needed.

I honestly think Billie wrote great songs years ago (Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod) because he had a bit of what many would deem an attitude problem (I would call it guts) where he genuinely didn't give a shit if people cared what he said/sang/wrote he (as he said himself once) opened his "mouth and out it came". Consequently he wrote what he wanted to hear not what he THOUGHT the fans or buying public wanted to hear. I can only assume that is why the trilogy went so horrifically awry. We ended up with a forty something year old singing about "Fuck Time"  (with an ex girlfriend Amanda), makeout parties "in another dimension" and "BMexellent tits"...it was all a bit depressing really. I am putting my last bit of faith in this band in the hope that Billie and the others are not desperately trying to morph into whatever they (or people around them) feel will get them "trending" and charting again. That would almost certainly be a fucking disaster set to a lousy soundtrack. 

2 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

No.  God no.  No more rock operas, please.

Some of you on this board are way too hung up on sales.  The fact is, no matter if this album is the best or worst of their career, it almost definitely will not be a mainstream hit.  Traditional rock is dead, from a mainstream perspective..  Indie rock is very much alive (and very, very good for the most part - listen to Real Estate if you don't believe me), but Green Day's sound is a relic of the past when it comes to the masses.  Personally, I don't care if it sells well or not.  Warning was not a hit and that is arguably their best album.  Just give me quality music and I'll be happy.

I love bands regardless of how many records they sell.  I listen to bands that haven't sold a single song right along with the biggest names in history.  The numbers aren't important to me, but since Green Day is my favorite band I'd like for things to go well for them.   Sadly you are right about Green Day's sound being a relic.   It's sad but it happens to everyone and everything.  Perhaps the next album won't be a mega-worldwide sensation.  A dozen or more quality tracks and we're both happy.  Agreed.   

After the trilogy I can't expect them to put out anything big again - and that's a weird nice feeling, because I won't be so disappointed again like the last time. All I expect is a regular nice record we can enjoy as fans (like Nimrod, that fucking awesome album) but without hype on the mainstream. I want more than that, but I'm not expecting it.

I sure would be happy if they got another masterpiece like AI or Dookie (or even a good record like 21CB with media hype) and I don't doubt they have the ability to achieve that again, I just don't think they even want that. All I wish is that these next songs bring higher senses of meaningfulness.

Talking about their relevance I doubt it has much faded. Maybe it got a bit lowed down due to trilogy but it is still present. AI and 21stCB were completely different than Dookie and Insomniac and after a long they again tried to achieve that same Dookie sound but couldn't gain much so it makes the upcoming album a bit interesting as how it will be. I can again present my wishlist of how it should be and how it should sound :P but anyway its of no use. Dookie and AI level success can be tough but not impossible. I'm not bothered if it will be a big hit but it will be great if the lyrics are more meaningful (lyrics were a major drawback for trilogy) something that talks about politics and also of inner angst at the same time, less swears but more aggressiveness. I think drums on trilogy were fine (minus the mixing) guitars should be more downtuned and distorted but that's just my thoughts.

I believe before American Idiot came out there wasn't really much space or desire for rock music. I think it can always make a return as long as an artist or band can refine the style in a way to make it sound fresh.

Whether the band can successfully pull that off or not doesn't really matter. It only matters that they strife for the best sound they can create at this time and make the record sound as good as possible. If the mainstream doesn't pick it up then that's how it is. But we'll still have a wonderful record to look back at.

12 hours ago, st_trillie said:

I honestly think Billie wrote great songs years ago (Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod) because he had a bit of what many would deem an attitude problem (I would call it guts) where he genuinely didn't give a shit if people cared what he said/sang/wrote he (as he said himself once) opened his "mouth and out it came". Consequently he wrote what he wanted to hear not what he THOUGHT the fans or buying public wanted to hear. I can only assume that is why the trilogy went so horrifically awry. We ended up with a forty something year old singing about "Fuck Time"  (with an ex girlfriend Amanda), makeout parties "in another dimension" and "BMexellent tits"...it was all a bit depressing really. I am putting my last bit of faith in this band in the hope that Billie and the others are not desperately trying to morph into whatever they (or people around them) feel will get them "trending" and charting again. That would almost certainly be a fucking disaster set to a lousy soundtrack. 

Being old now (I'm 30) I have this fear that my favorite bands will trade in their trademark sounds for what's popular on the radio currently, So I totally get what you're saying.  With Rock, everybody is doing the folky stuff these days, or adding electronic dance music.....nothing against those things but we gotta have some straight up Rock N Roll from somebody.   And about the Trilogy's subject matter.....it was along the same lines as American Idiot, just approached it differently.   I think a lot of it was about (and due to) Billie's drinking.   Unfortunately whether that was it or not, for a lot of people that is what those albums represented.  Uno was sort of a "I'm going crazy and don't care" while Dos was the "downward spiral into madness and depression"  and Tre was indeed the "hangover, with a little bit of hope"     I think it's alright that he revisits those things he went through as a younger man.   If it wasn't for Whatshername breaking his heart 20+ years ago we would have missed out on some seriously good Green Day.   and do we really need songs about his current state of live, which is probably pretty stable and static?   I wouldn't mind it, but artists are always delving into their pasts for great inspiration.     Billie Joe and Rivers Cuomo have been writing breakup songs for years, years that overlap what seem to be the two best marriages in Rock history.   Sincere?  I think so.   Wonder if their wives are okay with all the songs about other women or if they ever push back on this issue......They probably understand it's a business but at the same time those songs have to sting a wife a bit.   

but back to reality.   You are right.   Green Day needs to make the album they want to make, perhaps self produce, whether it's commercial or not.  

The biggest successes are the least likely ones.

To do something great you have to make a serious of mistakes.             

3 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

One thing is common is that they are using new instruments this time and Billie has got his deadliest weapon, a Fender "Les Paul":

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD7YhBYJFck/

(maybe not from studio but can be a hint) 

It's Fernandes, the brand Blue is.

1 minute ago, Jon Benjamin said:

It's Fernandes, the brand Blue is.

Yeah. Fixed it.

I genuinely don't think commercial success is such an important thing. They don't need to be huge again. I'd be even happier if they kept it all low-key provided the music is good. (And if it is, people will notice so we can chill and hope for the best :P)

21 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I genuinely don't think commercial success is such an important thing. They don't need to be huge again. I'd be even happier if they kept it all low-key provided the music is good. (And if it is, people will notice so we can chill and hope for the best :P)

Billie's biggest frustration about his career is that he actually sells too many records.  Maybe Paul Rudd will produce this next record.  I know what you're thinking.   But this wouldn't be the Norwegian Death Metal / Bell and Sebastian sound, because that project would have had nothing to do with Green Day at all.   This would be Green Day: Midnight, produced by Green Day and Paul Rudd.    Yes.   That is the answer.    

We still don't know who the producer is, do we? So far it doesn't seem like Cavallo is in on this one, even though he'd had the privilege of hearing those handful of demos a while back.

Green Day has used exactly two producers in their major label career. If not RC or Butch (as far as we know), who could it be? Are they going the self-produced route again? That could mean something Warning-eque, though I fear it may lead them down the same path that resulted in the trilogy.

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

True, but I also wouldn't mind hearing awesome new Green Day songs all over the radio, seeing cool new music videos and pictures everywhere, and reading about them in every piece of print and social media that I open up :D Somehow the words "Low Key" and "Green Day" don't seem to go together. Hasn't Billie said more than once, that he is into big ideas and new ideas? So who knows, we could be in for anything. They may very well help make rock relevant, yet again. I think generation Z, are ready for anything that's good, if it's promoted properly to the way they consume media.

I arranged "21 Guns" for  my ( inner city) highschoolers  to play in my piano class A few had never heard of Green Day.. "They're old, aren't they?" Most had never heard the song. A couple remembered  it from when they were little kids. One kid out of all 5 classes is a Green Day fan. But when I played the video, these kids, typical teens who are not easily impressed, were riveted.  "This is a great song," I heard all day. They learned to play it and wanted it every day.They would just stop playing and watch the video and listen, and I let them. How could I not? The only other "old" music that they loved as much was the Beatles Then they asked for another, so I arranged "Boulevard". They loved it, absoluely. They started telling me about their own explorations. "I looked up American Idiot, it's really great.."   "I watched Basketcase..."  So yeah, Green Day could totally get right back on top and get a whole new cohort of fans.These kids need to hear great music. They know it when they hear it. 

3 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

And about the Trilogy's subject matter.....it was along the same lines as American Idiot, just approached it differently.   I think a lot of it was about (and due to) Billie's drinking.   Unfortunately whether that was it or not, for a lot of people that is what those albums represented.  Uno was sort of a "I'm going crazy and don't care" while Dos was the "downward spiral into madness and depression"  and Tre was indeed the "hangover, with a little bit of hope"     

Sorry I don't see how American Idiot (songs include AI, JOS, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb, St Jimmy etc) are along the same lines as the trilogy. AI was a rock opera largely telling the story of the lives of Jimmy, Whatsername etc while the trilogy was a pile of nonsensical lyrics splayed over three albums! Also it's not fair to blame alcohol or drugs for the trilogy...Billie has always done a shitload of both and created great music. 

3 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

I think it's alright that he revisits those things he went through as a younger man.   If it wasn't for Whatshername breaking his heart 20+ years ago we would have missed out on some seriously good Green Day.   and do we really need songs about his current state of live, which is probably pretty stable and static?   I wouldn't mind it, but artists are always delving into their pasts for great inspiration.     Billie Joe and Rivers Cuomo have been writing breakup songs for years, years that overlap what seem to be the two best marriages in Rock history.   Sincere?  I think so.   Wonder if their wives are okay with all the songs about other women or if they ever push back on this issue......They probably understand it's a business but at the same time those songs have to sting a wife a bit.   

You missed my point. I wasn't complaining that he wrote about Amanda. He'll one could argue we have her to thank for inspiring the entire American Idiot album and the musical that followed (as she is Whatsername). Besides he has written some of his biggest hits and best loved songs about her (Good Riddance, She etc) plus numerous other lesser known fan favourites. My problem is with the lyrical content of the stupid song Fuck Time (I mentioned Amanda to point out that he wrote it about an actual person which is worse especially when it's the same woman who inspired She). Lines like "I want to choke you till your blue in the face" are really something.

I always thought Fuck Time was just a nonsensical song made up around the 'it's fuck time' chant the American idiot cast would do since that's originally when they started singing it, and i don't think half the lyrics on the trilogy version were in it then (in fact from what I remember most of the verses were gibberish) and that he later built on it to fit it in with the trilogy more. 

So basically yeah tl;dr I think there's next to zero thought behind the song. Nor do I think it was inspired by any one person, let alone this 'Amanda' 

2 hours ago, GenXIdiot said:

True, but I also wouldn't mind hearing awesome new Green Day songs all over the radio, seeing cool new music videos and pictures everywhere, and reading about them in every piece of print and social media that I open up :D Somehow the words "Low Key" and "Green Day" don't seem to go together. Hasn't Billie said more than once, that he is into big ideas and new ideas? So who knows, we could be in for anything. They may very well help make rock relevant, yet again. I think generation Z, are ready for anything that's good, if it's promoted properly to the way they consume media.

I arranged "21 Guns" for  my ( inner city) highschoolers  to play in my piano class A few had never heard of Green Day.. "They're old, aren't they?" Most had never heard the song. A couple remembered  it from when they were little kids. One kid out of all 5 classes is a Green Day fan. But when I played the video, these kids, typical teens who are not easily impressed, were riveted.  "This is a great song," I heard all day. They learned to play it and wanted it every day.They would just stop playing and watch the video and listen, and I let them. How could I not? The only other "old" music that they loved as much was the Beatles Then they asked for another, so I arranged "Boulevard". They loved it, absoluely. They started telling me about their own explorations. "I looked up American Idiot, it's really great.."   "I watched Basketcase..."  So yeah, Green Day could totally get right back on top and get a whole new cohort of fans.These kids need to hear great music. They know it when they hear it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled, if they were all over the media again! I'm just not putting my hopes too up so I'm not disappointed and i don't need it to see a project as successful. A lot of kids younger than me still like them. A while ago a friend of mine showed me a song book he borrowed in our music class - there were Green Day lyrics scribbled on every page. It must have been a girl in one of the years below us so it's 11-15-year-old. I see a lot of younger kids talking about them online too. Nothing's lost :P 

2 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Sorry I don't see how American Idiot (songs include AI, JOS, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Letterbomb, St Jimmy etc) are along the same lines as the trilogy. AI was a rock opera largely telling the story of the lives of Jimmy, Whatsername etc while the trilogy was a pile of nonsensical lyrics splayed over three albums! Also it's not fair to blame alcohol or drugs for the trilogy...Billie has always done a shitload of both and created great music. 

You missed my point. I wasn't complaining that he wrote about Amanda. He'll one could argue we have her to thank for inspiring the entire American Idiot album and the musical that followed (as she is Whatsername). Besides he has written some of his biggest hits and best loved songs about her (Good Riddance, She etc) plus numerous other lesser known fan favourites. My problem is with the lyrical content of the stupid song Fuck Time (I mentioned Amanda to point out that he wrote it about an actual person which is worse especially when it's the same woman who inspired She). Lines like "I want to choke you till your blue in the face" are really something.

I think that the line "Oh, Amanda Jones, your holy grace, I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face" it's not about his old girlfriend Amanda but a reference to the song "Miss Amanda Jones" by Rolling Stones.

3 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Also it's not fair to blame alcohol or drugs for the trilogy...Billie has always done a shitload of both and created great music. 

I couldn't agree more. Alcohol is a wonderful thing that doesn't deserve being blamed for such a thing as trilogy. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McNulty said:

I think that the line "Oh, Amanda Jones, your holy grace, I want to choke you 'til you're blue in the face" it's not about his old girlfriend Amanda but a reference to the song "Miss Amanda Jones" by Rolling Stones.

Nice to see you again

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled, if they were all over the media again! I'm just not putting my hopes too up so I'm not disappointed and i don't need it to see a project as successful. A lot of kids younger than me still like them. A while ago a friend of mine showed me a song book he borrowed in our music class - there were Green Day lyrics scribbled on every page. It must have been a girl in one of the years below us so it's 11-15-year-old. I see a lot of younger kids talking about them online too. Nothing's lost :P 

I know what you mean, I don't want to be disappointed either!  Only a few students in my classes knew who they even were but I set them straight LOL. Even got a young (openly gay) male student to crush on Billie Joe ,:lol:

Im pretty much for all the ideas being spouted around. I hope they make an amazing record, no they don't have to be as popular as they were during AI but man would it be fucking cool if they managed that prestige again. Either way.. new music good music give me Greeeeen Day please.

I listened to 21st century breakdown and I haven't appreciated this album enough. Please go to that direction and push it even further it would be great. I want my green day serious dark and good again. 

18 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

We still don't know who the producer is, do we? So far it doesn't seem like Cavallo is in on this one, even though he'd had the privilege of hearing those handful of demos a while back.

Green Day has used exactly two producers in their major label career. If not RC or Butch (as far as we know), who could it be? Are they going the self-produced route again? That could mean something Warning-eque, though I fear it may lead them down the same path that resulted in the trilogy.

We don't know who the producer is yet.  But remember the picture of billie and will.i.am? I don't know if will is involved, but I'm thinking, or hoping, for someone totally different.  I could end up bringing an entirely different direction to their music.  I'm excited for it

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived