Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We talked about what drums he used for the Trilogy before: 

On 26/2/2016 at 3:41 PM, Akshat Jain said:

gretsch-logo-drums.jpg

Tre used Gretsch Drums for recording Triology, ( i saw this in The Forgotten music video, also in the start of Cuatro). @Siddharth_471 you were right Mate, Cheers! :) but he did used SJC Drums in recording Tracks for Dead Mermaid, so he isn't using SJC Drums first time in studio.  :P 

3 hours ago, petros said:

He used them for the triogy too

Nope

1 hour ago, StuckWithDom said:

I'm pretty sure Tre used Gretsch drums for the trilogy actually

Yep

Drums sounded like shit on the Trilogy so I'm glad he switched.

Drums sounded great on the trilogy, imo. Excited to hear this new drum sound though 

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

This.

1 hour ago, DookieLukie said:

Probably a result of the way they were presented in the mix, rather than the drums themselves.

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

In what way o.O? 

Listening to Uno right now. I think the drums sounds fine; my problem with the trilogy continues to be the guitars and what sounds like an absurd amount of reverb on the main vocal.

2 minutes ago, Matt. said:

I really wish there was a trilogy thread on this forum.

like this one?

That thread is clearly for discussion of its underratedness. We're trying to pan it here.

Point taken though 

:lol: Sorry everybody

We're just going to sit her and troll and spam each other until Green Day rises from the ashes and make a damn announcement!!!

Yeah...it's obvious that the band and those close to the band are really trying to keep this project as tightly sealed as possible. I don't think it's a coincidence that Billie's latest Instagram video really didn't give us much of anything. We also know for a fact that people close to the band patrol this board and are not afraid to shut shit down if they don't want it out there.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about this feels big. Not to raise anyone's hopes unfairly, but AI-level big. The whole thing is shrouded in secrecy, yet they're still teasing us.

They've already got not one but TWO career-defining albums to their name. Could they really be going for the trifecta here? The servers here would melt.

I'm sure the new record will blow us away. I'm so, so ready to hold it in my hands.

34 minutes ago, GenXIdiot said:

3 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I can't put my finger on it, but something about this feels big. Not to raise anyone's hopes unfairly, but AI-level big. The whole thing is shrouded in secrecy, yet they're still teasing us.

They've already got not one but TWO career-defining albums to their name. Could they really be going for the trifecta here? The servers here would melt.

They missed their shot at keeping with tradition of years ending with 4 being big for them.   94, 04.....and then nothing in 14.   This album definitely has a lot riding on it in my opinion.   Not necessarily selling a gigantic amount of copies but it needs to be good, at least in the eyes of the fans.  They are at a point in their career where they've already been celebrated and immortalized.  Now they need to prove they aren't done rocking the world just yet.  That they aren't content playing 90's nostalgia shows and aren't content playing a standard greatest hits setlist.   I hope that they lead good lives, but that they are never complacent or content with what's been done before.   I would love for American Idiot level big.   That was the most excitement an album has ever given me, and still does.   I believe they still have it in them to make an epic artistic hit once again.   Like the idea behind Rusty James, a lot of the 90s bands have either fallen apart or are terrible now.  It's breaking my heart as the years go by and some of my favorite artist release really bad albums, or when they release great ones that are totally ignored.  Have you guys seen this?  Band drops new album.   No singles get released.   No promotion.     Green Day's the last gang in town, and I hope they have at least a few more gunfights in them.    I hope the silence now means that suddenly, out of the blue, we get a crazy all out assault of Green Day related mayhem.    Singles.   Big Tour.   Great Music Videos.   An Amazing album (or multiple albums....)                      

What if......they were to do another trilogy, in the vein of American Idiot!  The Trilogy didn't do well, so they revisit the idea, but with three mind blowing epics like American Idiot!   Or maybe a two disc album.   One from one characters perspective and one from another!    Three Albums could cover Jimmy, Jesus and Whatshername.      OR Johnny, Tunny and Will................    

32 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

They missed their shot at keeping with tradition of years ending with 4 being big for them.   94, 04.....and then nothing in 14.   This album definitely has a lot riding on it in my opinion.   Not necessarily selling a gigantic amount of copies but it needs to be good, at least in the eyes of the fans.  They are at a point in their career where they've already been celebrated and immortalized.  Now they need to prove they aren't done rocking the world just yet.  That they aren't content playing 90's nostalgia shows and aren't content playing a standard greatest hits setlist.   I hope that they lead good lives, but that they are never complacent or content with what's been done before.   I would love for American Idiot level big.   That was the most excitement an album has ever given me, and still does.   I believe they still have it in them to make an epic artistic hit once again.   Like the idea behind Rusty James, a lot of the 90s bands have either fallen apart or are terrible now.  It's breaking my heart as the years go by and some of my favorite artist release really bad albums, or when they release great ones that are totally ignored.  Have you guys seen this?  Band drops new album.   No singles get released.   No promotion.     Green Day's the last gang in town, and I hope they have at least a few more gunfights in them.    I hope the silence now means that suddenly, out of the blue, we get a crazy all out assault of Green Day related mayhem.    Singles.   Big Tour.   Great Music Videos.   An Amazing album (or multiple albums....)                      

What if......they were to do another trilogy, in the vein of American Idiot!  The Trilogy didn't do well, so they revisit the idea, but with three mind blowing epics like American Idiot!   Or maybe a two disc album.   One from one characters perspective and one from another!    Three Albums could cover Jimmy, Jesus and Whatshername.      OR Johnny, Tunny and Will................    

I doubt they feel they "missed their shot" by failing to release an album in a year ending with 4.

1 hour ago, thatdude03 said:

No.  God no.  No more rock operas, please.

Some of you on this board are way too hung up on sales.  The fact is, no matter if this album is the best or worst of their career, it almost definitely will not be a mainstream hit.  Traditional rock is dead, from a mainstream perspective..  Indie rock is very much alive (and very, very good for the most part - listen to Real Estate if you don't believe me), but Green Day's sound is a relic of the past when it comes to the masses.  Personally, I don't care if it sells well or not.  Warning was not a hit and that is arguably their best album.  Just give me quality music and I'll be happy.

49 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I doubt they feel they "missed their shot" by failing to release an album in a year ending with 4.

Yeah, I didn't mean they missed their shot to make a great album.  Would have just been weird and cool if every huge Green Day album came out in a year ending with a 4.   Gosh I hope they don't wait until 2024 to release the next album.   By that time I hope we're on here arguing about what Album 15 will/should sound like.   And I'll go ahead and try to change the pace by saying I hope it sounds like crap and doesn't sell one copy because blah blah yada blah blah blah.   I hope it sounds like Kerplunk jumping off a bridge will writing a love song to Lady Gaga.    

just thought id share this. Today in my NY Arts Network we went to a music publishing company. One of the guys who worked there has worked with rob cavallo on some Disney music project. I asked him if he stays in contact with rob and he said yes they're very good friends. Of course I asked if he knew anything about the new green day album and he said no, but I'm a huge fan. Maybe rob isn't producing this? If this guy is good friends with rob and a big fan of green day it seems like rob would have told him. Unless he just didn't wanna tell me haha.

23 hours ago, petros said:

Guys the trilogy counts as one this is the tenth release please don't refer to it as Album 12 :P

Despite many of us who didn't buy the box having to spend about £27 on 3 CDs.

23 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

Yeah, I didn't mean they missed their shot to make a great album.  Would have just been weird and cool if every huge Green Day album came out in a year ending with a 4.   Gosh I hope they don't wait until 2024 to release the next album.   By that time I hope we're on here arguing about what Album 15 will/should sound like.   And I'll go ahead and try to change the pace by saying I hope it sounds like crap and doesn't sell one copy because blah blah yada blah blah blah.   I hope it sounds like Kerplunk jumping off a bridge will writing a love song to Lady Gaga.    

You do throw out some interesting takes, can't nobody take that away from you.

It's anybody's guess what the sound and themes will be like on this next album. Lately I'm just having more and more difficulty shaking the feeling that it could end up being massive.

edit: grammar and spelling

So I suppose this album is the litmus test on whether Green Day have truly fallen off or not. Honestly I feel their best bet is to focus on making a sleek, lean, modern sounding album that doesn't feel faux-edgy with overly verbose swearing, and with more dynamics/variety between tracks. Because far and away my biggest criticism of the trilogy is that despite being over 30 songs long, there was far too little variety, which was really odd considering there was so many songs. You'd think they would've put more effort in making each song sound more distinct.

Besides that, I also hope this new album won't recycle as many melodies as the trilogy. 

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

You do throw out some interesting takes, can't nobody take that away from you.

It's anybody's guess what the sound and themes will be like on this next album. Lately I'm just having more and more difficulty shaking the feeling that it could end up being massive.

edit: grammar and spelling

Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up about that, Green Day isn't really a particularly in demand band atm. Hell, they might be lucky to even reach number one with this upcoming album, especially if it doesn't end up having a hot single or some indication of a reinvention. Because if this just ends up being a standard Green Day album then no one is really gonna care. I just hope they aren't as "high on their own supply" as they were while recording the trilogy, where seemed like almost EVERY song they wrote made it on board, which could be further proven by the distinct lack of b-sides/outtakes that were released outside of solely State of Shock.  

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived