Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

I like that we have heard nothing from this new upcoming album . When they started recording for the trilogy there were crappy versions of most songs floating around from club shows or sound checks. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have promissed to myself to not listen to anything of the new record, except for the lead single, until I get the whole album.

34 minutes ago, Alf said:

Dammit, I just calmed down from Billie's last photo, now I'm losing it all over again!

This looks a lot more promising :o I'll let myself get excited now. wonder how far into the process they are.

10 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Billie posted a pic back at the end of 2014 that said something along the lines of "I'm in a hardware store and I've got this on my mind - Green Day 2015" Its possible he was alluding to the hall of fame, but maybe he was referring to a new album release. Maybe it was their intention to release something then but for whatever reason they didn't get to. Perhaps the label asked them to hold off until 2016. In any case, hopefully we hear something soon.

I think, based on the timeframe, it's pretty well-accepted that this is when the Hall of Fame stuff was happening. 

6 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

Billie looks his age, and he looks great.  There is nothing wrong with some grey hair and wrinkles.  I think he was gorgeous at 18 and is still gorgeous at 43.

I'd tap that. ;) 

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

First a billie picture,then a tré pic

If I had to guess, I think this is the type of promotion we're going to see most this year... subtle stuff on Instagram that maybe the media might not even pick up on all that often (unless GDA writes about it, ha) and stuff the fans will appreciate. The trilogy's promotion was so overhyped in the mainstream and flopped. I just really don't know if we'll be seeing that type of stuff again for a while.

1 hour ago, Alf said:

I have promissed to myself to not listen to anything of the new record, except for the lead single, until I get the whole album.

that's what I promise myself every time they release an album and I always end up breaking that promise because I get too excited haha

I don't think there was a particularly large amount of promo for the Trilogy, certainly no more than for AI and 21st CB. The main difference was they played the songs live so recordings of them were out there months in advance which was unfortunate as I think they really only intended to road test them on those small audiences for the most part. The albums didn't do well because of complete and utter lack of promotion when they were actually out due to Billie's rehab plus a lot of people just not liking them much, the promotion beforehand was as standard for Green Day.

I agree they'll probably do less this time for obvious reasons, I do look forward to whatever interviews/appearances etc they do once an album's coming out but it's quite exciting when they're all sneaky like this as well.

At least we can finally somewhat stop having to wait on waiting to get an update of some kind. That's always the worst part of this whole process.

Mods should apologize for closing my thread. I predicted the album release date correctly.

6 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I don't think there was a particularly large amount of promo for the Trilogy, certainly no more than for AI and 21st CB.

Really? The incessant Youtube videos? The Angry Birds thing? The red carpet appearances, media hype, iHeart Radio? It seems to me that there was a lot more hype for the Trilogy than there was for 21CBD, at least. I was too young/sheltered to remember much about the AI hype, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more for AI than there was for the Trilogy because AI turned out to be such a huge album.... I do recall, of course, hearing the singles from it constantly on the local rock and pop music stations, way more than I ever heard any of the Trilogy singles.

Yeah, promotion for the trilogy was pretty crazy. And then once right before UNO came out (for obvious reasons) everything just shut down. I'm pretty sure the trilogy would have done better/been better received if it wasn't for the iHeart Radio incident and subsequent hiatus. But these things happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped this new album on us all of a sudden.

13 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Mods should apologize for closing my thread. I predicted the album release date correctly.

You predicted the date as January 3rd, which is inaccurate

Haven't really commented yet. Not big into speculation. Definitely think an album is coming this year, though. Given how many pop punk bands are making albums this year, maybe Billie's destroy pop punk comment meant make a better album than any of those bands? Probably just a reference to the sound, tbh.

34 minutes ago, Lady Nightlife said:

Really? The incessant Youtube videos? The Angry Birds thing? The red carpet appearances, media hype, iHeart Radio? It seems to me that there was a lot more hype for the Trilogy than there was for 21CBD, at least. I was too young/sheltered to remember much about the AI hype, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was more for AI than there was for the Trilogy because AI turned out to be such a huge album.... I do recall, of course, hearing the singles from it constantly on the local rock and pop music stations, way more than I ever heard any of the Trilogy singles.

I guess with the youtube videos and giving glimpses of the recording/songs long before the album was out it was different, before 21st CB was announced they were pretty much silent. But once it was announced (like 3 months before it was out) they did do some youtube videos with tiny bits of the songs, had the "ding dong" 21st CB intro playing on their site, published all the lyrics online weeks before the release date, and then just before it was out there were small warm up shows, millions of interviews, articles and TV show appearances. It was a pretty huge amount of hype. I think the main reason it seems like it was more extreme with the trilogy is because rather than going from hype to success it went from hype to the band disappearing and not success :P. I'm sure people are right that they'll want to try and avoid that this time.

What was that radio show they were on before or after Uno? I think it was after cause they hooked up Billie's ipod or phone and they played like all of Dos almost all full tracks and I would hate for something like that to happen again. I loved it at the time but it was such a spoiler (again thats probably my bad for listening) but I hope they keep it on lock for now. Pictures are fine but I may stray away from audio stuff if I can help it.

18 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

What was that radio show they were on before or after Uno? I think it was after cause they hooked up Billie's ipod or phone and they played like all of Dos almost all full tracks and I would hate for something like that to happen again. I loved it at the time but it was such a spoiler (again thats probably my bad for listening) but I hope they keep it on lock for now. Pictures are fine but I may stray away from audio stuff if I can help it.

That was on Zane Lowe in the Uk. It was before Uno came out but I remember they played Fell for You, Makeout Party, Lady Cobra, Nightlife on that show. There was probably a few singles from Uno released at that point such as Oh love and Kill the Dj . It was the night before the played Shepard bush in London. I was at that show and was delighted they played lady cobra cause I had listened to it for about 24hrs straight before the concert :lol:

I don't want to read through this entire thread because i'm tired af but does anyone have an idea what "OTIS" means??? 
Is it the name of the recording studio? Has it always had this name? Or is it a new one? Is it something different entirely?
(images from tumblr)

tumblr_o19phvJG1c1qd0zeso2_500.jpg
tumblr_o19phvJG1c1qd0zeso3_1280.jpg
tumblr_o19phvJG1c1qd0zeso1_540.jpg

2 minutes ago, Juste Bro said:

I don't want to read through this entire thread because i'm tired af but does anyone have an idea what "OTIS" means??? 
Is it the name of the recording studio? Has it always had this name? Or is it a new one? Is it something different entirely?
(images from tumblr)

We are not entirely sure, but apparently Billie has a new recording studio called OTIS.  We don't know what it stands for. 

Just now, JJ1964 said:

We are not entirely sure, but apparently Billie has a new recording studio called OTIS.  We don't know what it stands for. 

ah alright then. I thought it was just me missing something again :D 

• Fuzz locked and unlocked this topic
  • Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived