Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

I didn't see the Trilogy as childish in any way. It was clearly a product of their age and their midlife crisis. The thought that they were "trying hard" to "relate to the kids" is really really dumb because Green Day has never done that in their career. The thing is that anyone who has ever self-reflected or thought critically about their life at all has felt what Billie is singing about in the Trilogy. Just because he's 40 and a dad doesn't mean he is void of the urges of an adolescent. 

The problem with the lyrics is that they are shoddy, not that they are desperate or childish. Most of the songs aren't fully formed. Not to mention that the instrumentals sound jarring and unnatural most of the time. The biggest pro to the Trilogy is that the lyrics are very emotionally accurate. Even though I think some of the lines are dumb, I found myself really relating to what he was saying. I've heard that men and women often experience the mid life crisis in different ways, and even that men and women often have different goals and views past the age of 30, so maybe you have to be a dude to really relate to what Billie is saying in the Trilogy. Tbh, it seems like the Trilogy praise is coming from men on this forum. Just a theory but I don't know how else to explain why people like AlissaGoesRAWR don't "get" the lyrics.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Obvious baiting is obvious. I'm not going to make this a gender issue when it's not one.

45 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

^ Obvious baiting is obvious. I'm not going to make this a gender issue when it's not one.

I'm not trying to bait you. You have to admit that the male and female experiences are different throughout life. I'm just hypothesizing.

Look at literature, for example. I wouldn't blame a woman for not being able to understand the characters of say, Hemingway or Fitzgerald or Salinger etc. They write about what is mostly exclusively male experiences. Can't the same happen in music?

To be honest, even though I wrote that blog series tearing up the Trilogy, the amount you people on here insult and berate the band over it is actually making me give it a chance. This forum acts like the Trilogy is responsible for everything bad in their lives.

I Know it's a Mouthful

The Trilogy was the first time I was actually confused by the lyrics.. confused meaning.. thinking they really saw these lyrics and thought "Yea thats great" like for real? haha Like i love all of sex drugs and violence except the fucking chorus.  It would be almost perfect without the chorus in my opinion. Its hard to believe Billie wrote some of the stuff and was like this is the best I can do for the song and the rest of the band was for it too. 

couple examples

Troublemaker (All the Lyrics are under the WTF genre except for "Easy come and go, gonna go it alone Knock yourself out with a shot of Patron I wouldn't say I'm straight 'cause I'm bent out of shape From now till death do we party just before it's too late.")

Sex drugs and violence (chorus) 

Kill the Dj (Obviously the chorus)

Fell for you (what does "Haunted stories in the midnight hour, the kiss of death on the Eiffel Tower." even mean? its probably just me but huhhhhh?)

Dos has pretty straight forward understandable lyrics no matter what you think about the quality

And besides SDV Tre is pretty ok lyrically 

I just sometimes feel conflicted cause I know of the lyrics Billie has written for all the other albums and not once did I feel like he could have done better but with more than some of the trilogy I was like what happened to that talented lyricist we know and love? it felt a tad lazy (Of course all of this is my opinion so feel free to disagree)

I have very high hopes for the new album cause I feel like Billie/The Band will want to put as much detail and imagery into their new work after all that has happened to them.  Im sure this will be more important/serious to the band than any of the trilogy was.. partially because its the first new album they've put out in forever and because they kinda need to prove themselves I feel. Having to prove themselves might actually help the process pushing themselves to put out some really kickass work. 

1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I never said it wasn't indicative of a midlife crisis though. If anything, I agree with that fact. For some people, doesn't a midlife crisis include making changes and doing things in attempt to try and hold onto your youth?

Yes which is exactly what you said.  What you said you didn't like can most definitely be considered a mid life crisis.  When you reach that age you need to try and reconcile aging and still feelingvyouthful.  Some people fail at first.  I still contend that billie was writing as he felt, he was having a hard time reconciling it, which is understandable considering his lifestyle. 

Everything you are describing is a midlife crisis

I agree. Discovered it when the Tré-bread popped up among recommended posts and been following it since then. It makes a lot of sense. Sometimes more than the universe itself. 

To the lyrics: it's true I can't relate to many of the topics because it's about things I haven't experienced. Another problem is that midlife crisis/horny 40-year-olds trying to sound like teenagers aren't topics that can attract "the kids" and be cool. I think what people criticize about the lyrics all boils down to the fact that they talk about midlife crisis from a perspective of a person who's experiencing it. That's why some of the songs lack the insight or irony that was in his lyrics before. It sounds cringeworthy because you can't simply be a 40-year-old guy trying to be young and not be cringeworthy. It's actually logical

This is the first and last time I'm commenting on Billie Joe's lyrics for Trilogy or anything about him that's not my business in general, so lis'en carefully, I shall say zis only once. :P

No age and no state of mind can truly be stereotyped. Old people being funny are a North American stereotype. 50-something-women and 40-something men being crazy, menopause causing insanity and the midlife crisis thing are a popular culture invention and they come in handy for selling drugs and psychiatric treatments to pretty much every individual who thinks they'll blow up once they hit a certain age or once there are no more eggs to get rid off. In reality, sticking to the same choices all life long is stagnation. We change our lifestyle, change our ways, change our opinion, change what we like and it's absolutely normal. On top of it, the difference between somebody like Billie Joe and somebody who truly goes around screwing teenagers for fun (e.g. Anthony Kiedis and Iggy Pop types) is immense. I just cannot and won't see him as a dirty old man, when he's not old and not dirty.  On top of it, it's just not my business if he truly was in love with somebody or if he was exploring fantasies or telling somebody else's story, either. It resulted in cool songs to dance to and  bike to, a style I like and that's what I care about. And if it was love, people fall in love at any given age. 

Regarding the trilogy, I kind of thought of it as a "write the songs no matter how they sound" kind of way. I think Billie even said himself that he was writing whatever came up and not overthinking things as he had done on say AI and 21CB. The idea being something more spontaneous and fun and easy going, which you could say the trilogy is for the most part. perhaps he couldn't face the idea of delving any deeper at that time than he did (which with a few songs is still pretty deep) or perhaps he wasn't looking to write the next Eleanor Rigby or whatever. 

Eirher way it was a trade off because it's obviously not their best work. I definitely think parts of it do relate to that midlife crisis feeling, as he's even said so himself. 

that Green Day bread page is amazing. so heartfelt and unique. Now i think green day is in studio to make songs  about bread or coffee. I will enjoy lyrics about these. 

9 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I never said it wasn't indicative of a midlife crisis though. If anything, I agree with that fact. For some people, doesn't a midlife crisis include making changes and doing things in attempt to try and hold onto your youth?

Please continue telling me how 99 Revolutions is the best song they have ever done.

Even the most "childish" and "desperate" song off the trilogy makes more sense than Smells Like Teen Spirit .

Just Saying :lol: 

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

Would love a GD album about coffee. 

Would love a GD album about potatoes: 

Dirty Rotten Potatoes

Best Potato In Town

Ha Ha You're Potato

Having A Potato

21 Potatoes

Loss Of Potatoes

Know Your Potatoes

Fell For Potatoes

Poprocks & Potatoes

Potatoes I Might Have Ate

8th Potato Serenade

Stuck With Potatoes

41 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Even the most "childish" and "desperate" song off the trilogy makes more sense than Smells Like Teen Spirit .

Wrong 

2 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Please continue telling me how 99 Revolutions is the best song they have ever done.

Hush now

6 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Actually, it was Billie Joe himself who said 99 Revolutions was the best song he ever wrote, so... Not a fan of it though. Neither a fan of STLS, or Nirvana to begin with. :P

Guys don't get me wrong I do love SLTS. All I was trying to say that it itself contains a lyric "it's fun to loose and to pretend" talks about revolution but on the other hand contradicts it as well.

I think trilogy was on the same vein but the songs didn't contradicted itself, just a bit thrown up like the above.

2 hours ago, Ham Pascale said:

Actually, it was Billie Joe himself who said 99 Revolutions was the best song he ever wrote, so... Not a fan of it though. Neither a fan of STLS, or Nirvana to begin with. :P

He only said one of the best songs :P 

But yeah maybe we should stick to talking about the next album rather than the last one, conversations always seem to end up on the trilogy :lol: 

The trilogy has pretty oké lyrics, with maybe the exception of a few. But that doesn't really bother me. I'm still amazed that they wrote that many songs within a few years with pretty good compositions. It's not one of their best work for sure. But with the expectations of the fans/listeners/critics rising up after each albums since AI we were bound to find ourselves less satisfied with an album that would have been released at one point. Right now, it can only get better.

7 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Would love a GD album about potatoes: 

Dirty Rotten Potatoes

Best Potato In Town

Ha Ha You're Potato

Having A Potato

21 Potatoes

Loss Of Potatoes

Know Your Potatoes

Fell For Potatoes

Poprocks & Potatoes

Potatoes I Might Have Ate