Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

Management - (in a serious tone) Everything should be a secret, no one should spill out a word or two, even you Billie. No one should know that Green Day is in the studio. Jason, you should not speak                        till the album's  released ! No one will ever know what Green Day is really upto. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (Evil laugh).

(meanwhile) The fans -  Yeah, Green Day is in the studio, making strategies for Oakland Coffee! yipeee -_-, we knew that Green Day was in the studio making a new album. 

sometimes i think management is kind of overdoing things. Other times, their act is really super justified. that dilemma -_-.

But, we want more instagram posts to keep our hype trains full of energy!! ^_^

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have no idea how their management is handling this situation. For all we know they only want to keep things a little under the radar until they feel they are ready to make an official announcement.
I doubt they were not allowed to talk about it, except for maybe the media.

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that letting people know about this new record in subtle ways is actually part of the marketing strategy. Similar to how some studios possibly release 'leaks' to bolster interest.

On 18/04/2016 at 1:36 AM, Insomniac186 said:

I ran into Billie Joe today in Oakland and I asked if the band was making a new record. He said "yes" and it should "hopefully be out in the fall". Photo of me with Billie Joe taken today is Here.

For those that are curious, I had been at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records and ran into him just walking down the sidewalk headed toward Broken Guitars. I was not expecting it. I've wanted to meet him for over 20 years and there he was. He was in a hurry to meet someone but let me talk to him for a moment and let me take a picture, which he had no obligation to do. He's a great guy.

Thanks for the update! At least now waiting seems easier for us all. Slightly jealous you met him though. Wish I didn't live in the UK sometimes.

They obviously want people to know they are recording since Billie posted that video and other recording hints.

This is such an exciting news. Well, what's better than Billie confirming all the rumors of an album. 

Now, they should start posting little sneak peeks like they used to do during the Trilogy, to tease us about the development. Those were the best times! Magnifying every tiny detail from the 10 sec clips and what not. Bring those moments back Green Day! 

I think that the management wanting the insider information down means that they do want a genuinely secret release. A lot of bands keep the recording process secret but have no problem with speculation, even speculation in media. My bet is that they're pulling a Beyonce.

4 hours ago, Iain said:

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that letting people know about this new record in subtle ways is actually part of the marketing strategy.

That'd be a pretty bad marketing strategy considering no one except people who are already GD fans on social media know they're making a new album.

1 minute ago, Matt. said:

Newsweek posted this morning that they had Green Day's publicist confirm to them that the band is in-fact recording... as if we needed more confirmation.

http://www.newsweek.com/new-green-day-album-coming-450090

Wow excellent! I guess that instead of getting in trouble, Billie forced their hand with his excited blabbing! 

Great of them to mention GDC and fellow forum member within the article.

1 minute ago, Jane Lannister said:

Ok, looks like I'm wrong. I wonder how much coverage will this get..

it's on my FB today so. and i follow quite a bit of GD pages lol

6 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

it's on my FB today so. and i follow quite a bit of GD pages lol

I don't but I'll check out news sources outside the fandom just to see if the public knows :P

Edit: i just randomly turned on the radio and Green Day was on! :o 

Just now, Jane Lannister said:

I don't but I'll check out news sources outside the fandom just to see if the public knows :P

i don't think anyone major but the GD pages are posting yet. 

Insomniac186 is famous.  We can all say we knew him before he hit the big time

I remember 7th or 8th grade was when Nimrod came out for me and all I had heard prior to its release was Hitchin' A Ride. I had to go out a buy the CD, but that was honestly one of the best experiences I had listening to a record.

I wasn't dosed with clips or 4 or 5 of the 12-14 songs which really takes away from the element of surprise from new albums nowadays. And I couldn't listen to songs on repeat, unless it was on a CD itself. 

It's just my opinion, but I think it's better that way for real music fans, and if there was any way Green Day could pull off releasing only 1 single, and no other sound clips before the whole album is released, I think real music fans would appreciate that high of listening to a great record for the first time in full.

8 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

I remember 7th or 8th grade was when Nimrod came out for me and all I had heard prior to its release was Hitchin' A Ride. I had to go out a buy the CD, but that was honestly one of the best experiences I had listening to a record.

I wasn't dosed with clips or 4 or 5 of the 12-14 songs which really takes away from the element of surprise from new albums nowadays. And I couldn't listen to songs on repeat, unless it was on a CD itself. 

It's just my opinion, but I think it's better that way for real music fans, and if there was any way Green Day could pull off releasing only 1 single, and no other sound clips before the whole album is released, I think real music fans would appreciate that high of listening to a great record for the first time in full.

When the new songs start rolling out I won't listen to any after the first single, so I can have that element of surprise when the album comes out.

5 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

When the new songs start rolling out I won't listen to any after the first single, so I can have that element of surprise when the album comes out.

I still try, but it's pretty damn hard lol!

25 minutes ago, Harry Potter. said:

I'm planning on doing that as well. Over the past few years, I've learned that I miss that element of surprise and listening to an album and knowing none of the songs besides a lead single.  The Trilogy is a prime example.  Unfortunately, a lot of marketing tactics these days are centered around releasing 3-4 songs before an album is out.

I don't know...I listened to almost everything there was prior to Uno and Dos and enjoyed both. Then I avoided listening to The Forgotten and what we had from Tre so I wouldn't spoil it for myself. The thing was laying around for weeks till I bothered to listen to it, then I forgot it existed for about a year. It took me a while to rediscover it or rather find the energy to do so. (It has grown on me a lot since then btw)

So this time, I'll listen to whatever there is, if it's good I'll decide; if it's shit, I may not listen to the album at all. I could live withought Tre and I'll do withought another disappointment if the singles sound like one.

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived