Green Day in the studio 2016

ozoneplayer

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

it was the guy-liner. source: was a 14 year old girl during AI era, knew the age of the band members, still would have happily smashed Billie if given the chance. And all my little 14 year old bff's felt the same.

Obviously we don't anymore but hey, teenagers amirite.

I still want to bang him.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny how this thing is already a 90 page topic without them saying a word about it.

51 minutes ago, Otávio Vidal said:

It's funny how this thing is already a 90 page topic without them saying a word about it.

Clearly, you're new to GDC. :P

I just wonder how credible it is for the guys to speak to the 12 year old teenagers the way they did about 10 years ago.

Those younger listeners will eventually loose their interest in them because there's just a huge gap between them. I mean, I don't see a lot of young kids jumping like crazy at a U2 concert.

I highly doubt the band would be marketed to a teenage crowd at this point.  If they do, there is a high probability of failure.   However, that does not mean that they still cannot appeal to a wide variety of ages, including teenagers.  

The band has had quite a few experiences the past few years, that can apply to all ages, addictions, health issues, etc.  Plus, there is the political turmoil that is going on in the US, the increase of terrorism, etc.  All these issues can apply to teenagers and adults.  Billie has always been amazing at writing about personal experiences, in a way that people can easily relate it to their own lives.  I think if he writes about these experiences, without regard to whom it will appeal to or if it will be a hit, he can come up with something amazing that all ages can relate too.       

8 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I highly doubt the band would be marketed to a teenage crowd at this point.  If they do, there is a high probability of failure.   However, that does not mean that they still cannot appeal to a wide variety of ages, including teenagers.  

The band has had quite a few experiences the past few years, that can apply to all ages, addictions, health issues, etc.  Plus, there is the political turmoil that is going on in the US, the increase of terrorism, etc.  All these issues can apply to teenagers and adults.  Billie has always been amazing at writing about personal experiences, in a way that people can easily relate it to their own lives.  I think if he writes about these experiences, without regard to whom it will appeal to or if it will be a hit, he can come up with something amazing that all ages can relate too.       

Speaking of people who can make even the strangest things relatable, I think Aaron Cometbus, being a much superior lyricist than Billie imo, should write a song or two if not the whole album (even though that's not gonna happen anytime soon).

Just now, Ham Pascale said:

Speaking of people who can make even the strangest things relatable, I think Aaron Cometbus, being a much superior lyricist than Billie imo, should write a song or two if not the whole album (even though that's not gonna happen anytime soon).

Interesting, I think just the opposite.  I think Cometbus is one of the worst writers I have ever read.  I find his writings almost OCD based, where they cannot stay on one subject for more than 30 seconds, thus can never get a clear point across.  His writings are full of emotion, but since he cannot seem to channel them I don't find them in the least bit relatable.   I find them very hard to read.  He is very good at descriptive writing but does not have the ability to bring that descriptive ability to a conclusion.  Thus, for me, his lyrics are not relatable.  All my humble opinion.

Well, here in Germany they were unbelievably successful and popular amongst teenagers when they released 21stCB. About 30% of the crowd at their concert in Munich in 2010 were under 20 year olds. Also I remeber in school they were all crazy about Know Your Enemy, especially the boys. Girls were often impressed by songs like 21 Guns and Last Of The American Girls. Just an example of the overall feeling I got in 2010. Slipknot released their album All Hope Is Gone in 2008 and so by the time 21stCB was released the hype about Slipknot decreased and many many pop-punk/punk-rock fans rose from the ashes.

If they go into the direction of 21stCB kind of songs, which cover serious matters that really do concern teenagers as well as adults, it would already be a step to success. Also many songs off 21stCB were a hell lot of fun, those "jumping around" songs like The Static Age, East Jesus Nowhere, Last Of The American Girls. These songs were appreciated by young and old, mainstream-approved as some might say. This is what made 21stCB so popular and successful. This is what filled up their arena and stadium shows. And they PLAYED those songs at the shows, people went all crazy. The massive build up of the title track, the riot feeling of Know Your Enemy where everyone put their fists in the air. Then a lot of fun songs from their newer albums as well as their classics to jump around and open some mosh pits. A few ballads to cool down from these massive mosh pits full of fun, 21 Guns melted everyone's heart, as well as Wake Me Up When September Ends and Good Riddance. 

It was just the perfect concert. And I really hope that they try and (not do the same as 21stCB but:) bring in all of these feelings on their next record. The riot, the fun and the heart-melting.

They've never really specifically catered to teenagers with their music. Through their careers they've written about experiences from different times of life (from teenage to middle aged concerns), including times other than the time they were currently experiencing, as well as issues that affect people regardless of age, and appealed to a wide variety of age groups. Being in their 40s doesn't mean they're only going to make music that appeals to people in their 40s any more than being in their teens, 20s or 30s meant they could only appeal to people those exact same ages. 

There's no reason why they couldn't draw from younger experiences (a la American Idiot and 21st CB) and write about issues affecting all ages as well as just writing about their specific being in their 40s experiences (a lot of which are relatable experiences to a large proportion of people anyway, they're only in their early 40s and still living a pretty "young" lifestyle, they're not pensioners). So I don't think their age would prevent their songs being relevant or relatable.

Young crowds like bernie sanders why not Green day!?... vote billie joe

One thing I've realized is that majority of the discussions end on trilogy or their relevance. But anyway, why you guys are saying that their age factor is stopping them from writing good lyrics? As I've said before there are still a load of even older bands than them whose recent albums have been solid, then why can't Green Day? They must have not got much time or inspiration that's why we got some crappy lyrics in trilogy. But I think as some of you pointed earlier that many political and social causes like US elections, terrorism etc. will give them a better vibe for making more meaningful songs.

Unpopular Opinion #3,456: I think 21stCB was never meant only for teens or the trilogy only for adults but somehow they were presented in that way either by fans or critics.

51 minutes ago, Siddharth_471 said:

They must have not got much time or inspiration that's why we got some crappy lyrics in trilogy.

Fucking Christ can we please stop making this completely subjective statement as if it is fact? Or at least take it to the proper thread? I will say it one more time...personally, as somebody that's 30, the lyrics in the Trilogy are a fuck ton more personal and relatable to me than anything they have ever done before. It's fine if you don't like the music, sound, lyrics, etc., but we need to stop bringing up these opinions as if they are facts.

Sorry, didn't mean to attack you personally, but just getting sick and tired of reading this all the time in here :)

13 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Fucking Christ can we please stop making this completely subjective statement as if it is fact? Or at least take it to the proper thread? I will say it one more time...personally, as somebody that's 30, the lyrics in the Trilogy are a fuck ton more personal and relatable to me than anything they have ever done before. It's fine if you don't like the music, sound, lyrics, etc., but we need to stop bringing up these opinions as if they are facts.

Sorry, didn't mean to attack you personally, but just getting sick and tired of reading this all the time in here :)

Lol what I feel when folks say the trilogy was overproduced 

Just now, WhiteTim said:

Lol what I feel when folks say the trilogy was overproduced 

Turst me...that bothers be too. The amount of "production" on the Trilogy is nowhere fucking close to where it was on American Idiot and 21st CB. Like...I understand not liking it, that's fine. But know what the fuck you are talking about. And talk about it in the proper thread so I don't have to read it here. Lol

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Turst me...that bothers be too. The amount of "production" on the Trilogy is nowhere fucking close to where it was on American Idiot and 21st CB. Like...I understand not liking it, that's fine. But know what the fuck you are talking about. And talk about it in the proper thread so I don't have to read it here. Lol

I agree with you, it always pissed me off that people think because they don't like the trilogy, no one else does.  I think there is alot of great stuff on the trilogy.  People seem to think that because it was not commercially successful everyone thinks it is bad.   

12 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I agree with you, it always pissed me off that people think because they don't like the trilogy, no one else does.

This! People want to believe the band also think this or that about it because they hate it, but there's nothing to suggest they feel any differently about it to anything they've released before, or that the lyrics aren't meaningful to Billie (and other people who relate to them).

I also really wouldn't take any negative things about the trilogy and assume they'll be positives on the new album, because it's unlikely the band feel the same way about it and are thinking they'll change those things. New songs will be different because of the changes in their lives and new experiments, not because they hate the trilogy and will be trying hard not to recreate it.

So yeah, make a different thread to complain if you can't bring yourself to post in "the trilogy is massively underrated" :P

I think it's fair that the trilogy sometimes gets mentioned in relation to the next album since it's the album that preceded it, sometimes it is relevant in terms of what we're expecting or hoping for next. But yeah if you want to have a discussion about the trilogy itself please do use the other threads for it, this one is probably best for a general discussion on it since it's the most recent/most used:

41 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Amen, and P.S.  I relate to a LOT of the lyrics, and I'm WAY over 30 :) 

I heard that the new single will be called Let's build a wall

12 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I heard that the new single will be called Let's build a wall

You heard wrong ... It's called 'Make America Great Again' ?

3 minutes ago, Raven93 said:

You heard wrong ... It's called 'Make America Great Again' ?

Feat. Donald Trump 

With a rap solo

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Feat. Donald Trump 

With a rap solo

Still would be a better song than nightlife ??

• Fuzz locked this topic
  • Fuzz unlocked this topic

Archived