Merry Christmas! Here's a new Green Day song

AlissaGoesRAWR

Honestly though, are there any GOOD Christmas songs? They're all kind of cheesy and overdone. :P 

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Clayish said:

This is really bad.

I hope Santa brings you coal for Christmas!

It's not amazing, but it's a nice holiday treat! :D

I assume this means the guys are in the studio, which is a good thing!

3 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Honestly though, are there any GOOD Christmas songs? They're all kind of cheesy and overdone. :P 

Last Christmas by Wham

Merry Xmas by John Lennon

Little Saint Nick by the Beach Boys

Wonderful Christmastime by Paul McCartney

What Christmas Means to Me by Stevie Wonder

May not be the best song of theirs, and I don't enjoy the filter, but it is nice to hear a NEW something from green day

I like it but the vocals are too crisp and clean. Good to hear something new. Not too keen on the guitars either because there's no distortion and it sounds a little shallow. Anyway, at least it's something to say "have a great christmas...oh, and something will probably be coming within 2016."

I truly hope this song has been on the shelf since the trilogy time and this is not really their new style. I hope their new album will be more of Billie's real voice and less of a tuner..

Yeah the song sucks, but I'm more worried about what's to come now. I'm really hoping this was recorded during the Trilogy or something. If not, clearly Billie has not learned from the Trilogy. Terribly filtered vocals. Chimey guitars. Drums are slightly better but still pretty tame. Bass almost non-existent. Unbalanced mixing. Jeez, this is not looking good.

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Yeah the song sucks, but I'm more worried about what's to come now. I'm really hoping this was recorded during the Trilogy or something. If not, clearly Billie has not learned from the Trilogy. Terribly filtered vocals. Chimey guitars. Drums are slightly better but still pretty tame. Bass almost non-existent. Unbalanced mixing. Jeez, this is not looking good.

Maybe when I said the guitars sound better, I meant the drums... I don't know, something makes it sounds better than the trilogy recording, but I can't pinpoint what it is, exactly. But man, all I want is to hear Billie belt out actual, (relatively) unfiltered vocals again! 

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Maybe when I said the guitars sound better, I meant the drums... I don't know, something makes it sounds better than the trilogy recording, but I can't pinpoint what it is, exactly. But man, all I want is to hear Billie belt out actual, (relatively) unfiltered vocals again! 

So then Kerplunk? And tech every vocal in every song ever done has some filters used...

3 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Yeah! I miss the snarl and passion in his voice. He sounds so restrained.

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Green Day fans in a nutshell...

Damn you guys are so spoiled.

We haven't gotten a good album in 9 years...

Just now, DookieLukie said:

You got 3. Uno, Dos and Tre

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

You got 3. Uno, Dos and Tre

Terrible albums with a few scattered quality songs.

Well it's new and just a xmas song so I'm gonna think they just didn't put a lot of work on it so I don't worry about the quality

2 minutes ago, Otávio Vidal said:

Well it's new and just a xmas song so I'm gonna think they just didn't put a lot of work on it so I don't worry about the quality

I miss the old Green Day when everything from B-sides to their Christmas shitty demos had love and quality put into it.

5 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

So then Kerplunk? And tech every vocal in every song ever done has some filters used...

5 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Yeah! I miss the snarl and passion in his voice. He sounds so restrained.

Maybe what DookieLukie is saying makes more sense, then... like, it just sounds like something is being held back and the filters used for the trilogy are taking its place. Although I have my own opinions about 21CB, even those filters didn't bother me as much as the trilogy's filters, which when paired with the album's mixing, make him sound like he's singing underwater... (Amanda is a good example of that.)

8 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

You got many great songs so stfu . this is just a gift . enjoy it or not in the end  your country is not gonna compete on Eurovision with this song. this is not a new album either.like it or stay away from it.

Aww, Green Day gave us the gift that keeps on giving this Christmas: something new to argue about on GDC. :happy:

This is a huge overreaction on my part, but something about this song just turned on a switch in my head. I kept hoping Green Day could change and start making quality stuff again, but I think that their time is up. I'll always love their catalog of albums, but I think it's time to cut off my devotion to this band and accept that they are simply existing to exist rather than to create. Billie shows no desire to revamp their sound or improve at all. It's just a Christmas song, but it's about their mentality and their approach, and this is a bad sign of what's to come. If I criticize other bands for getting shitty and staying the same, I can't give Green Day a pass without being biased. So I think this song just took me out of line for their next album pre-order if it comes.

Archived