Billie Joe and Mike are launching a coffee company

Sanity Loan

Shane West ‏@shanewest Jan 31

Thank you @IddoG for getting me some @OaklandCoffee ....all I need is a grinder! cc : @MikeDirnt @BJAofficial

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Punk rockers bring success to coffee, humanitarian projects

While not in today’s gluten-free discussion, wood-roasted Oakland Coffee attracted good attention at the recent Natural Products Expo West at the Anaheim Convention Center because of the company’s interesting back-story combining environmental awareness, organic quality and humanitarian initiatives.

Oakland Coffee was co-founded by Mike Dirnt (seen in our photo below) and Billie Joe Armstrong of the punk rock band Green Day.

The Oakland-based company is known for its unique oak-fire roasting process of high altitude organic Andean coffee beans, working together with Mr. Espresso.

Dirnt and Armstrong are behind the San Francisco Bay Area coffee company’s dedication to environmental friendliness on several fronts. They’ve worked to set a new standard for compostability in coffee packaging and raising awareness of better landfill management.

The compostable bags are made of an environmental-friendly compostable plastic.

Additionally, Oakland Coffee is working to introduce a 100 percent compostable single-service cup type product that is compatible with Keurig coffee makers and will help reduce more trash in the environment.

On the humanitarian front, Oakland Coffee is actively funneling a portion of sales to their “Fueled by Love” initiative that supports communities at origin in Peru. So far, Fueled by Love has helped to build and improve schools and medical facilities in the Yanatile Valley in Peru, working in partnership with the Peru-based not-for-profit Crescendos Alliance.

Dirnt says his company is also looking forward to expanding partnerships with different organizations and different coffee-growing regions.

http://www.glutenfreenews.org/2016/03/punk-rockers-bring-success-coffee-humanitarian-projects/

DSC00722-600x400.jpg

DSC00723-380x253.jpg

12963870_806047346166280_212551283213414

Glenshire General Store

10095 Dorchester Dr

Truckee, CA

· 2 hrs ·

Oakland Coffee now available in Glenshire. Fair trade, organic and the bag is made of compostable materials!

12974334_1117211938331815_32093368505891

Oakland Coffee

11 hrs ·

Another beautiful day to be out and about in #Oakland.
#oaktown #community #OaklandCoffee

Just now, Clockwise said:

Has anyone here actually tried this?

A couple people here have.  Said it was a medium roast.

• Like 1

I'm excited for the pods to come out. While it's good coffee, it's not worth the hassle of grinding the beans and then messing with my custom K-Cup contraption to make one cup.  If I made a pot at a time, then it would be worth it.

On 4/16/2016 at 10:07 AM, Clockwise said:

Has anyone here actually tried this?

I have.  It was quite good, not bitter at all, it did not need any sugar.