2016 Reading Festival Rumors

Seanz25

Being touted on a festival forum that's usually pretty reliable as a possible Reading festival announcement tonight.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sean Walford said:

Being touted on a festival forum that's usually pretty reliable as a possible Reading festival announcement tonight.

Announcement of the line up, or announcement of Green Day playing on Reading?

1 minute ago, Alf said:

Announcement of the line up, or announcement of Green Day playing on Reading?

Announcement of part of the line-up. So first headliner - Some suggesting it could be Green Day. Don't hold me to it but eFestivals has them as a rumour which is pretty reputable. I think the announcement is tonight/tomorrow or Thursday though. Apologies, kinda rushed that post. I'll check when it is officially later-on today. Should note eFestivals also has them down as a rumour for Glasto. So it's looking likely they'll be over here for a festival or two this year. 

8 hours ago, Sean Walford said:

Announcement of part of the line-up. So first headliner - Some suggesting it could be Green Day. Don't hold me to it but eFestivals has them as a rumour which is pretty reputable. I think the announcement is tonight/tomorrow or Thursday though. Apologies, kinda rushed that post. I'll check when it is officially later-on today. Should note eFestivals also has them down as a rumour for Glasto. So it's looking likely they'll be over here for a festival or two this year. 

Surely they would have new material to perform if this happens - otherwise the a headlining festival will feel like a greatest hits tour.

32 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Surely they would have new material to perform if this happens - otherwise the a headlining festival will feel like a greatest hits tour.

They were going to do nifi as a greatest hits tour.  So poor logic patterns again

Yeah but nifi was so shit it didn't even generate enough ticket sales to make it valid and amidst a load of bullshit about bankruptcy it was cancelled. Reading is MASSIVE and the headliners are a big deal so they aren't going to have a band play their greatest hits...again three years after legitimately headlining (with a new album...Actually three!) who simply won't draw the crowd based off a greatest hits tour. There are too many bands people actually want to pay to see over here...Green Day without a new album really aren't one of them.

14 hours ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

I could have sworn I'd read they where releasing stuff next year potentially. 

13 hours ago, JJ1964 said:

They were going to do nifi as a greatest hits tour.  So poor logic patterns again

11 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

A one off show is not a tour 

If they're doing Reading it's a weird one as they played 3 years ago and that's a short cycle to have them retrun especially without new music. I don't know how much you guys are aware of Glastonbury, (BTW Thats not me being condisending so don't take it the wrong way if you do!) but it's such a big prestigous festival that for a lot of bands it's one you need to tick of the list. If they're to play Glastonbury though, even if they where touring a new album at the time it'd be a one-off greatest hit's show, with few tracks from a 2016 album presuming it's being released. Unless it's get's huge, quick success. 

10 hours ago, st_trillie said:

Yeah but nifi was so shit it didn't even generate enough ticket sales to make it valid and amidst a load of bullshit about bankruptcy it was cancelled. Reading is MASSIVE and the headliners are a big deal so they aren't going to have a band play their greatest hits...again three years after legitimately headlining (with a new album...Actually three!) who simply won't draw the crowd based off a greatest hits tour. There are too many bands people actually want to pay to see over here...Green Day without a new album really aren't one of them.

I want some of what your smoking! :lol:;) 

Think you're totally wrong on saying they simply won't draw. Green Day are big enough everytime they run shows over here they sell out instantly. That can be numerous nights at venues like The 02 & Wembley arena. Let alone the stadium gigs. Yeah they've toured them with new albums but since AI pretty much everyone's turning up for a greatest hit's set. The lack of chart entry for the last 4 albums they've released that speaks for itself on that point. 

There's always going to be cult following for Green Day so they'll turn out in droves everytime, same with adults who 'used' to be fans, then they introduce their kids to the music because "they're off to see Green Day soon" and totally forgot about them, then they'll introduce the kids and the cycle continues.

I'm not really sure who these 'bands people actually want to pay to see over here" are as IMO heavier/alternative music over here is in a dire state of it being pretty much dominated by reunions and 90's/early 2000's bands. Other than the odd 2 day hype job's by Radio 1 who may have a love affair with bands like Bloc Party and Royal Blood but are soon forgotten there's nothing else coming through that's really going into huge places where your going to likely to be paying £40+ for a ticket. I'd be interested to hear your take though! I agree there's a load of solid bands out there from the UK/doing well in the UK but their doing well but really not growing further than they're currently at. The only real band doing that IMO ATM is Neck Deep. 

Also Download festivals repeated it's headliners over here every few years regularly, the likes of Iron Maiden, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Rammenstien, Slipknot. All who smash out greatest hits set for the most part even if they have a new album out. Same with Reading to a point on other bands, Blink, Kasabian etc. So apolgies but I don't think they're not a draw without a new album. Watch the 2013 Reading video, the reaction for new songs of the trilogy and even 21CB is minimal to the point that it's clear most aren't familiar with the songs. The older ones though people live for those.    

As much as I'd love to see GD in any UK setting right now, these rumours do come around every year and they're always wrong. It'd be awesome if true but yeah.

45 minutes ago, Maria Gloria said:

As much as I'd love to see GD in any UK setting right now, these rumours do come around every year and they're always wrong. It'd be awesome if true but yeah.

Not from a source that usually has good connections though! Which it does this year :lol:

But yeah don't kill me if it turns out false hope! Don't shoot the messenger to speak.

On 11/30/2015, 12:44:49, Sean Walford said:

If that were to happen, I live in the perfect place to go to Glasto (since it's only about 40 miles from me) but I have the problem of all the tickets already being gone and eBay vendors and other sites would hike the prices up far past about £1200+.

On 12/1/2015, 9:09:46, WhiteTim said:

A one off show is not a tour 

I was not implying it would be a one off concert.

On 12/1/2015, 7:41:07, JJ1964 said:

Yeah but nifi was always gonna be shite.  They have had the hiatus. 

2 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

I was not implying it would be a one off concert.

Yeah but nifi was always gonna be shite.  They have had the hiatus. 

You are being glass half full on this rumor.  And I like when you get feisty.  

Just now, JJ1964 said:

You are being glass half full on this rumor.  And I like when you get feisty.  

I made a simple comment about a rumour - bitch Im angry now:dry:

2 minutes ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

I made a simple comment about a rumour - bitch Im angry now:dry:

You are so damn cute when you are angry

1 minute ago, JJ1964 said:

You are so damn cute when you are angry

Probably also add then that it is a GD concert not GD show:ga:

Just now, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Probably also add then that it is a GD concert not GD show:ga:

Semantics bitch

On 11/30/2015, 2:07:54, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

Well Reading is basically always the big songs. It's a huge show that draws fans of all kinds of bands so Green Day wouldn't use it as a place to only play new stuff. Even if they did release stuff before then, I'd be willing to bet 90+% of the songs would be greatest hits. They played the summer before American Idiot was released and only had one or two new songs at that point. 

I think it's entirely plausible that they would perform without guaranteeing they're releasing something. But I could also see them decide not to in case they plan on working on an album throughout the summer.

I could see Green Day play Reading just to play, not on tour but because they really seem to like that festival. 

I've watched the last concert they did on Reading over and over, I honestly think it was a better show than BIAB and AAF. 

Well they just played in my bedroom I made them dinner and they were off so i'll believe any rumor

6 hours ago, Andres said:

Well Reading is basically always the big songs. It's a huge show that draws fans of all kinds of bands so Green Day wouldn't use it as a place to only play new stuff. Even if they did release stuff before then, I'd be willing to bet 90+% of the songs would be greatest hits. They played the summer before American Idiot was released and only had one or two new songs at that point. 

I think it's entirely plausible that they would perform without guaranteeing they're releasing something. But I could also see them decide not to in case they plan on working on an album throughout the summer.

Yep but I was more interested it not being a one off concert - surely the hiatus is coming to an end - it's nearly 2 years since soundwave. 

Well there's rumours every year :P. But please, Green Day would be a big enough draw! Reading isn't about new material, it's about seeing a band play their hits/biggest live songs new or not, and Green Day are still known as an amazing live band here. They sold out Emirates a couple of years ago not because of their new (largely unsuccessful and unknown) material but because of their live reputation which they still have now. No reason not having new stuff out would prevent them being able to play.

On 12/1/2015, 10:57:42, Sean Walford said:

I want some of what your smoking! :lol:;) 

And I want some of what your smoking! Green Day headlined in 2013. If you honestly believe the organisers have no better options than to have the same band headline again three years later then you are simply wrong. How often does that happen? In what circumstances? If Green Day play Reading in 2016 I will actually eat every tent in Reading...and all the mud! 

Archived