Green Day has me BOOOREEEED (Hype Me Up)

Thisnamehasnoreason

Im slowing becoming an adult and im worried that ill grow out of Green Day, as many of you know, a love for GD is not a phase like our parents suggest, but im finding it hard to get hyped when I listen to them like I used too. What do you guys do to get hyped when listening too them? Any favorite live shows? (even though i already have a shit tone) Do you play an instrument along with them? I wanna feel the hype! Help me out guys!

QmUZYXX.gif

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't force yourself to listen to them, it'll just wear you out. I don't listen to them every day like I used to, but occasionally I just get in the mood for a certain album. Or you watch a random performance of them when you think of it and it makes you happy to see them. 

One of my favorite performances

Honestly, my hype for them has never died down since I've seen them live in 2010. I don't go a day without listening to their music. :P It never gets boring to me or tires me out.

Apart from the link Andres posted (which is one of my favourite performances as well) I really like:

16 minutes ago, Thisnamehasnoreason said:

Im slowing becoming an adult and im worried that ill grow out of Green Day, as many of you know, a love for GD is not a phase like our parents suggest, but im finding it hard to get hyped when I listen to them like I used too. What do you guys do to get hyped when listening too them? Any favorite live shows? (even though i already have a shit tone) Do you play an instrument along with them? I wanna feel the hype! Help me out guys!

QmUZYXX.gif

Green Day is not a phase, but you will go through PHASES, and that's OK.  I was obsessed with Green Day for 2 years (2004-2006, obviously, the height of American Idiot), then completely fell out of love with them, and then it came back for a hot second in 2009 when 21CB came out, but not really, and then OUT OF NOWHERE I became more obsessed with them than EVER around 2011.  That obsession has lasted until around now, when it's starting to waver for me too.  And I know that maybe I'll not listen to them for various periods of my life, but at some point I will rediscover them and it will be amazing.  I'm like you, I sometimes felt "guilty" or almost embarrassed for having presented myself as this superfan who will NEVER not love them, and then when I stopped caring people were like "yeah... just a phase..."  What I know now is that it's not a phase, you just go through phases with it, like any relationship.  So I'm not worried that I don't like Green Day right now or want to listen to any of their songs in particular, because I know in a few years I will be blasting Insomniac with a vengeance as if I had never heard it before.  Distance makes the heart grow fonder, especially with music, you can really get tired of even your favorite songs if you don't take a break once in a while.

I think I'm just in the phase of I need a new album. I need something brand new. I hope we get news on that front soon.

8 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

I think I'm just in the phase of I need a new album. I need something brand new. I hope we get news on that front soon.

The new album for Record Store Day had me hyped, but I did catch myself wishing it was new content. :P 

I feel what you mean. Besides when they got inducted into the rock hof ive gotten a tad bored with them throughout the past year and a half or so. I still listen to them a lot but listening to them doesnt hype me up as much as it used to. I feel like we all just need something new at this point. Besides the rock hall induction, not much with them worth noting has gone on for the past 2 years really. I think soon enough we'll start hearing about new things going on like them getting into the studio or just some hint of what or when we can expect something new.  

It's ok to take a break from them for awhile. I didn't listen to them much during the Trilogy. Then one day I missed listening to them and put on Dookie and I've been back into them ever since. Maybe some time away would do you some good.

Sadly, I've been feeling the same way. :( The 'spark' (if you will,) isn't the same as it was a year or so ago. When some life issues came about, I believed I could rely on them as  I had before, but it wasn't the same, it brought more pain, because there were so many memories with the songs. 

These days, I still love the hell out of them, and if I'm trying to get back into them, I look up their Rock hall of fame induction, and it reminds me why I love them so much. Sometimes, (oddly enough,) it depends on the month. Like September through October, I just listen to a shitload of their songs. I guess in a nutshell, what gears me up, is listening to their albums in order, and reading stories about people who've met them, and being a complete sap. Also, creating Green Day themed art and craft stuff. I'm sure there's better ways to 'fall in love' with them again though. :lol: 

It's just sad thinking that you're growing out and think you must kill your younger self to fit. People should learn to stay loyal with themselves before anything else, or life becomes a nightmare.

In the other hand, listening other bands, discovering new music always help to refresh the love of a favorite one, in this case, Green Day.

6 hours ago, BetterThanAir said:

The new album for Record Store Day had me hyped, but I did catch myself wishing it was new content. :P 

It was a lot better than the three albums before it.

I wouldn't worry about it as much as you are. It's perfectly natural to get bored particularly when they aren't around. It doesn't mean you won't be hyper excited when they do announce a new album or tour. I used to listen to them daily around AI time and was obsessed but then they were recording for 21St century breakdown and I wasn't listening to them really at all nor was I following them online or anything. I happened to hear The Saints Are Coming in a shop one day and thought cool they must be finally back! ? When they finally DID release 21St Century Breakdown I actually did find myself digging out all my albums and becoming super obsessed with a renewed sense. I went to loads of gigs etc. Since the Trilogy again I'm listening to different bands and Green Day are on hold. It's healthy to listen to a variety of bands and enjoy going to lots of gigs and looking forward to new albums and tours from multiple bands rather than just one. Don't worry if they release a new album or tour again you'll be just as enthusiastic as you always were about them. Maybe you just need a hiatus too!

Don't worry, I don't listen to them often at all (last time would be 2 weeks ago when I needed some background noise to keep me awake) and I'm still a fan. You don't need to listen to a band 24/7. There's a lot between that and losing interest for good. 

For me, during these long breaks without any sort of news, I like to take time away from the band as well. I think the other week I didn't have a Green Day CD in my car for the first time maybe ever.

"The wanting comes in waves" as The Decemberists say. On my drive back to my parents last night I put Warning in my car and blasted it from my speakers and had one of those "Shit, I'm falling in love with them all over again" moments.

I also like to collect things from any era when we have these long breaks. Buying posters, CD singles, tour books from different eras of their career helps keep me excited about getting Green Day stuff even if it isn't new. I was giddy when I came across the Poprocks & Coke single a few months ago.

This hardly happens to me, but sometimes I do wonder if they're that good or if they're really my favourite band, and what I do most of the times is skip them for a while and after this, start trying different songs, shows, interviews... to get that "this is the best thing in life" feeling again :P I wouldn't suggest trying with your favourite songs because you're expecting already "will I get the hype? will I not? Oh that would be terrible", my advice would be try something that you don't usually listen to and try to try if that makes sense :lol:, not to listen to something intending to make a judgment. Other than that... sometimes discovering the little details about their music that I never noticed helps, it's happened to me trying to make covers of their songs that I analize everything and I discover/re-discover how great many elements of their music are. 

27 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Don't worry, I don't listen to them often at all (last time would be 2 weeks ago when I needed some background noise to keep me awake) and I'm still a fan. You don't need to listen to a band 24/7. There's a lot between that and losing interest for good. 

As far as I understand, he's not saying that he's worried because he's not listening to them very much, but because when he does, he doesn't get that hype he used to get. 

7 hours ago, captain peroxide said:

no it wasn't

When I hear a song or album I like I put it on my playlist.  Then I just hit shuffle.  So, Green Day does come up everyday, but so does alot of other music as well.  It is difficult to be a super fan when the band has not had any new music or really toured much in years.  Any interest you may have could be re-ignited then.

However, tastes change.  Just because you were a huge fan at one time, does not mean you will be for the rest of your life.  So, there is no shame in saying you don't get hyped for them anymore.  Maybe you will again, maybe you won't.  I don't think it is really anything to really worry about.  

8 hours ago, captain peroxide said:

Very true LOL 

Like others have said don't worry about it, just listen to something else until you feel like listening to Green Day again and then it'll be better when you do. Green Day's kind of a special case for me because I'm pretty much always up for listening to something by them but I'll deliberately not listen to an album for a long time and then when I do get the urge to hear it again it's like it refreshes it and it's like WOW that sounds good. I'll do it with my other favourite music acts too, have a phase of being obsessed with one and then leave that one for a bit and move on to the next. Best way is always to just listen to what you feel like instead of trying to force it, then you'll always be excited about the music you're hearing.

But if you do feel like some Green Day I always enjoy Storytellers

or Goat Island

"Worried that I'll grow out of Green Day"..... What a ridiculous statement.

Expand your horizons and get into new music. GD's music isn't going anywhere, and I doubt we'll get an album anytime soon.

50 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

On the bright side Sum 41 are recording new album.

not seeing this as a bright side ;)

1 hour ago, Clayish said:

"Worried that I'll grow out of Green Day"..... What a ridiculous statement.

Expand your horizons and get into new music. GD's music isn't going anywhere, and I doubt we'll get an album anytime soon.

Why is it ridiculous? Why saying that would imply that he's not open to lots of music?? Or what does it have to do with an album??? I really don't get how your comment relates to the op. 

I've actually appreciated the fact that I've gotten bored with their music. Not listening to only Green Day has allowed me to broaden my musical horizons and discover a treasure trove of not only other bands but other genres as well.

Archived