Gilman to Host "Dookie" event

Todd

http://www.helpgilman.org/2015/10/28/exclusive-green-day-listening-party-tickets/

Exclusive Green Day listening party tickets!

October 28, 2015 by Jesse | 0 comments

We’re proud to announce that we’ve teamed up with the non-profit UnderCover Presents for a tribute to Green Day’s “Dookie” in order to raise money for the continued operations of our beloved 924 Gilman Street. Given Green Day’s history with and continued support of 924 Gilman, it was a natural choice to work on this production together.

Green_Day_-_Dookie_cover

The record will be performed live, in order, by more than a dozen local bands from punk to twang to indie to classical to EDM. (full list below!)

A full-length CD of the covers has been recorded at Berkeley’s legendary Fantasy Studios! You can donate $35 (or more) for a free ticket to the listening party with all of the musicians, food, and refreshments!

220px-Studio_A

This is a super-cool way to hear a very diverse group of bands interpret Green Day while checking out the legendary Fantasy Studios & helping 924 Gilman raise some much needed funds. Tickets are VERY limited so please donate today!

1. Please donate at least $35 via the donate button to the right—>
  2. Email Kamala at kamalaparks at gmail.com  and tell her that your donation is for a ticket
  3. She’ll arrange the details with you
  4. Show up at Fantasy Studios, 2600 10th Street in West Berkeley on Tuesday, November 17th, 7pm-10pm, and party!

Here are the participating musicians who will be at the listening party!

OONA (Pop)

La Plebe (Latin punk)

Sal’s Greenhouse (Funk/soul)

Jazz Mafia (Choral)

MoeTar (Art rock, symphonic rock)

Love Songs (Rock, metal, punk mashup)

The Fuxedos (Punky art rock)

Goodnight, TX (Appalachian folk, garage)

MC Rai (Arabic Rai urban fusion)

NVO (Electronic)

Skank Bank (Ska)

Awesome Orchestra (Orchestral)

Martin Luther (Gospel rock/ R&B)

Casey Crescenzo of The Dear Hunter

Tilt (Pop punk with country undertones)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're fine with Green Day now that they need money, but they were too cool for them when they banned them in 94. Hypocrites.

They're fine with Green Day now that they need money, but they were too cool for them when they banned them in 94. Hypocrites.

things change with time. Like the management. The people who run gilman now are the people that played alongside Green Day. Jesse's always been a good guy and a friend of Billie. 

I just found it weird that of all their albums they chose the one that got Green Day kicked in 94. You'd think it would be Kerplunk or 39/smooth, even if they're not known as much.

This might actually be interesting.  There is such an eclectic range of genres represented that it will probably either be amazing or awful.  I'm acutally looking forward to hearing the recorded version.  

This is so cool :woot: 

How could it be only "interesting"? I mean,  its not the Kerrang cover album, here there's latin punk, APPALACHIAN FOLK!? I'm particularly looking forward to the art rock cover as it's the genre I make myself, but imagine Dookie played in all of those styles. 

I would love to hear how those bands interpret the songs with different arrangements, etc. 

Green Day being banned from playing wasn't anything personal, they'd just always had a rule that no major label bands were allowed to play. Wasn't about being cool, it was about preserving a space for non-major label bands. There hasn't been any animosity for years, Green Day and Gilman are friends.

This is very cool! Still is kind of funny and ironic that they're celebrating the album that got them banned though :lol: 

Very excited to listen to the album.
As someone mentioned above, there is such an eclectic group of artists performing that their interpretations will be interesting to hear.
And the event will take place on my birthday, so it will be nice to get something on that day (since I can't go to CA).

Wow Kamala Parks ?! Thats nice to hear that she's involved doing something with GD after all these years.

And TILT are covering too?! thats awesome.

From what I read Billie was banned after Tre and Mike and it was nothing to do with the band...it was because he had been drinking in the toilets at a party there. Also he was only banned for a brief period. Here is a quote from him from Gimme Something Better where he and Aaron discussed Gilman etc. Billie continued to play there with Pinhead Gunpowder and go to shows. Tre and Mike remained banned though but neither Billie or Aaron discussed that :lol:

I personally got 86’d after the fact. I think about three years later, Aaron (Cometbus) said, I went to a meeting and you’re not 86’d anymore. 

From what I read Billie was banned after Tre and Mike and it was nothing to do with the band...it was because he had been drinking in the toilets at a party there. Also he was only banned for a brief period. Here is a quote from him from Gimme Something Better where he and Aaron discussed Gilman etc. Billie continued to play there with Pinhead Gunpowder and go to shows. Tre and Mike remained banned though but neither Billie or Aaron discussed that :lol:

I personally got 86’d after the fact. I think about three years later, Aaron (Cometbus) said, I went to a meeting and you’re not 86’d anymore. 

Interesting! Obviously Green Day the band weren't allowed to play there due to being on a major label but I never realised the band members as individuals were actually banned from there :lol:, just thought some of the people who ran it/frequented it disliked them and made them feel unwelcome. I guess that's all been water under the bridge for a long time though.

Interesting! Obviously Green Day the band weren't allowed to play there due to being on a major label but I never realised the band members as individuals were actually banned from there :lol:, just thought some of the people who ran it/frequented it disliked them and made them feel unwelcome. I guess that's all been water under the bridge for a long time though.

Yeah when I read that section of the book it put things in a different perspective. Everyone knows that the policy of Gilman is that bands have to be independent to be permitted to play. That isn't being elitist it's because the idea of Gilman is to give independent bands the opportunity to play live when other venues may turn them away etc. It's the one place (well one of the few) where NOT being signed and having a record company paying for your equipment and record etc is an advantage. Bands know that so they can't have their cake and eat it too. If a band choose the advantage of a major label paying for their large venues and bigger studio and better equipment etc then they need to leave behind the advantage, respect and fun of the independent stage of Gilman that is needed by smaller bands or less well funded bands. As a band they definitely knew that was inevitable. They had zero reason to be angry or whatever. 

In this book though Billie states that Mike and Tré had been banned as though it had been for other reasons possibly for breaking some of Gilmans rules like he did by drinking in the toilets with Aaron. Billie got back in because Aaron lobbied for him so either nobody bothered on behalf of the others back then or they did something really bad haha. Either way Billie clearly had no major issue with Gilman and thought it was funny that he and Aaron had gotten 86'd. 

Yeah when I read that section of the book it put things in a different perspective. Everyone knows that the policy of Gilman is that bands have to be independent to be permitted to play. That isn't being elitist it's because the idea of Gilman is to give independent bands the opportunity to play live when other venues may turn them away etc. It's the one place (well one of the few) where NOT being signed and having a record company paying for your equipment and record etc is an advantage. Bands know that so they can't have their cake and eat it too. If a band choose the advantage of a major label paying for their large venues and bigger studio and better equipment etc then they need to leave behind the advantage, respect and fun of the independent stage of Gilman that is needed by smaller bands or less well funded bands. As a band they definitely knew that was inevitable. They had zero reason to be angry or whatever. 

In this book though Billie states that Mike and Tré had been banned as though it had been for other reasons possibly for breaking some of Gilmans rules like he did by drinking in the toilets with Aaron. Billie got back in because Aaron lobbied for him so either nobody bothered on behalf of the others back then or they did something really bad haha. Either way Billie clearly had no major issue with Gilman and thought it was funny that he and Aaron had gotten 86'd. 

It's interesting to hear more detail about it. I think I want to get that book.

It's interesting to hear more detail about it. I think I want to get that book.

I love it...It has so many great stories in it, by various people (band members etc) in the bay area scene including Billie and Aaron, told in their own words...it's like one giant interview with a load of great people. It's probably boring if you only get it to read about Green Day though because it has very little about them but as I have a love of punk in general particularly from the bay area I love it ;) 

You are so right . You were doing your homework . good work . hehe

I've also read this book the summer. It has some great stories . I didn't want it to end it was so awesome

You are so right . You were doing your homework . good work . hehe

I've also read this book the summer. It has some great stories . I didn't want it to end it was so awesome

It really is great! Once I saw Cometbus name in it I had to read it and it was brilliant ;) 

It really is great! Once I saw Cometbus name in it I had to read it and it was brilliant ;) 

Yeah . I wish it had more pages for Crimpshrine, PHGP and Jawbreaker.

And they didnt even had at least 3 pages  about Fifteen and Monsula and that made me mad. :mad:

Yeah, Green Day getting barred from performing at Gilman was just to give smaller bands a shot. Pretty simple in concept, but then that got blown out of proportion after Tim Yohannan formed a lynch mob out to slander the band in any way possible. That's when we got the real "sell-out"-claiming loonies (like the "Billie Joe must die" dude). That was really only a small, but vocal minority. When Green Day went up and played unannounced years later, it seemed everyone was enjoying the performance and having a good time.

Despite how much Gilman love's Green Day's financial support, it's good to see more Green Day news coming from Gilman. The band really cares about the venue, so it really works out well for both of them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/24/2015 at 3:47 AM, Overjoyyed said:

There is going to be a benefit concert now in Feb. 16th at the fox theatre. 

http://www.greenday.com/news/undercover-presents-tribute-green-day-s-dookie-7237151

There's now a new thread about the concert and this campaign in general, since this one was really only about the listening party let's use that one:

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/topic/98983-924-gilman-dookie-benefit-fox-theater-tribute-show-feb-19/

Archived