Where do you personally think Green Day should go sonically with their next record?

CrimsonArk

13 hours ago, Kyle Serlington said:

sequels are never as good as the originals! Also, The Ramones did this with 2 songs on End of The Century and they were awful, I can't imagine GD doing any better.

also, Haushinka is a great song!

Ramones made sequel songs?  I did not know this!  What songs?????  

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

Ramones made sequel songs?  I did not know this!  What songs?????  

this next one might not count, but some could consider it a sequel to havana affair

• 2 weeks later...

Visually They should do this:

http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/thatdude03/media/green%20day%20album%2012%20artwork_zpsgibif1tx.jpg.html?filters[user]=134239782&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Self Titled.   

13 Tracks, with a secret bonus 14th track.  

Produced by Rick Rubin and the band.  

Sonically a blend of Nimrod and American Idiot, with some major new elements are well.  Since you guys get violent every time I suggest Mike, Tre or Jason get the mic for even one verse, the bonus track is for them.  It's a really strange, sonic experiment in which all four guys are trading verses like lunatics. Jason does a freestyle rap....  Songs about today's political and musical climate.  Songs about recovery from substances, from cancer.  and the good ole Green Day spirit of "Life is screwed up but we're going to survive this junk" vibe.        The last album track before the bonuses will be a 12 Minute epic:  the sequel / continuing story of the Jesus of Suburbia as he soldiers on in a world headed for Money Money 2020, and must decide what he will be as that year approaches.  Will he put on a black and white mask and play techno music?   Will he give in to his demons?  One of the 6 segments will be a tribute to David Bowie and that is all, folks.  

Album 12.   Make it happen guys.   Thanks 

10 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

The last album track before the bonuses will be a 12 Minute epic:  the sequel / continuing story of the Jesus of Suburbia as he soldiers on in a world headed for Money Money 2020, and must decide what he will be as that year approaches.  Will he put on a black and white mask and play techno music?   Will he give in to his demons?  One of the 6 segments will be a tribute to David Bowie and that is all, folks.

The forum can't even handle you right now! :P:lol: 

i kinda like the idea of a hidden bonus track, that was a pretty 90s thing that a lot of bands don't do anymore... although a bonus track shouldn't be some big epic experimental thing, it should just be another weird Tre song

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the new album will be heavily influenced by Billie listening to Nikki and Corvettes.  Because that's what we all really want to happen.  Green Day sound, but with a beachy twist.  hard rocking punk beach party.  

6 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

I hope the new album will be heavily influenced by Billie listening to Nikki and Corvettes.  Because that's what we all really want to happen.  Green Day sound, but with a beachy twist.  hard rocking punk beach party.  

This actually sounds appealing! I'm all for it.

12 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

Making it into the Rockaway Beach! :lol: 

7 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

Making it into the Rockaway Beach! :lol: 

13 hours ago, Hermione said:

This actually sounds appealing! I'm all for it.

Yes!  Fun but edgy.  Exciting yet a bit on the dark side.   Now that I say that, I'm thinking kind of like American Idiot meets Trilogy.....but beachy.   

Not necessarily where I THINK they should go, in fact I'm not sure what "lo-fi" would sound like because I know nothing about music in that regard.

However, I was reading this yesterday after a google search when someone on another thread mentioned Billies technology/ I can't wait for Steve jobs to die rant... I came across this...

Via Rolling Stone...

Can you tell a difference in what you're writing, because of your recent experience? Is there a "rehab" album in the works?
It's too early. I feel I have to wait this one out. I don't want to jump in and get myself overwhelmed.

I can only take it one song at a time. I just want to write good songs that people love, which is a tough thing to do. It would be great to do another rock opera, but using more low-fi technology. I love shit­ty-sounding records [grins]. I'd love to do more stuff with Green Day that is 100 per­cent live. Sometimes I wish we would have recorded our last records that way — that Exile on Main Street feel, where you just get some good tones and go.

One thing I can't do is do anything half-assed. I want to make sure everything is right, that the song is fully realized. I think of the first Ramones album and the first Clash album — those songs are fully realized, well played. You can almost hear them doing it in a practice room. You can tell how time goes on, when you fast-forward to [the Clash's] Sandinista! You know all that stuff was done in the studio.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-billie-joe-armstrong-20130314#ixzz41CJDasrQ 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

40 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

he's been talking about doing a lo-fi record since before AI 

and then he did one... with foxboro hot tubs.

honestly, i'd hate to see a lo-fi green day record. I love good sounding records, I wish more punk bands could afford to record in really nice studios

36 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

honestly, i'd hate to see a lo-fi green day record. I love good sounding records, I wish more punk bands could afford to record in really nice studios

I agree, I want it to sound beauitful, but natural! I want great, heartfelt, vulnerable, funny, honest lyrics with gorgeous (not compressed to death) vocals, guitars, basses, drums and a dash of piano.

46 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

True but he still talked about even after Foxboro 

15 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

True but he still talked about even after Foxboro 

yeah, even as recently as 2013. He wants it to be live and raw sounding, but even recording live you can still get very good sounds with the right engineer, producer, and studio, and of course they are gunna have someone great mix it.

even though i wouldn't want a lo-fi full length, it'd be really cool to see them do an EP like that

Say Anything released a lo-fi album last month that is literally painful to listen to. So basically, I never listen to that album because of the way it was produced, despite liking the songwriting. 

However, if Green Day's new album was well produced, but with a raw edge and dirty sounding guitars, I would be really pleased.

• 2 months later...

God damn its been ages since I posted on this site! My thoughts are, as far as guitar tone goes it needs to be louder and edgier for sure, and if a softer song requires it, maybe they can revert back to the silly fair dust guitar tone from the trilogy. But what I want them to do the most is focus a lot more energy on the riffs. They aren't a three piece anymore, 2 guitarists playing the exact same powerchords is BORING, I feel like they should actually use Jason White for more than a volume boost in the choruses or to make recording in stereo a bit simpler.

Archived