Where do you personally think Green Day should go sonically with their next record?

CrimsonArk

They clearly need some form of musical reinvention at this point. I'm not quite sure where they should go, I think maybe trying to resurrect and experiment a bit more with the sound of The Network (but more updated and contemporary) could, at the very least, be interesting. Maybe try working with a new producer? I feel like thematically and structurally their next album should be tight and concise (10-12 tracks), no overarching narratives and something that's a bit more personal from a subject standpoint. Also, I feel like it should actually have decent cover art this time, since they haven't had a good album cover since American Idiot (not a necessity, but it would be kind of nice).

Another possibility is for Green Day to abandon their current glossy selves and produce something more raw and visceral, like I would love a Green Day album with songs that give a similar vibe to Spoon's Jonathan Fisk:

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to disagree with your use of the word sonically.  Sonically simply relates to sound.  Music is very different, it is a series of vocals and instruments when combined together create a rhythm a melody, it is simply not a "sound"  If you want them to do something sonically, then they can create an album of fart noises.  

Musically, I would not advise them to copy any artist, let alone Spoon.  They have always been able to change things up in the past, I see no reason why they can't anymore.  Most successful bands do not change their style dramatically, but create variations.  

Go back to the arena punk-rock sound of AI. It was their best album by far, and while a straight attempt to remake it in 21CB was about as fun to listen to as baby sheep being eaten by coyotes, an effort to recapture that basic sound would be a welcome change from whatever the Trilogy was.

Of course, rock doesn't sell anymore, so they'd be sacrificing record sales by doing that. Granted, I'm not sure that any sound associated with Green Day would be a big seller anymore.

Keep their pop punk influences and try to expand their sound in a more alternative or "indie", for lack of a better term, way. Stronger focus on lyricism and song writing would also be a plus.

To keep my interest, they must produce more dad rock. Keep it butt rock or keep it out of my ears.

The best record will be one that they feel inspired to write, not do for any sales, popularity, nostalgia reasons.

That being said, I still think Stop Drop and Roll is the best Green Day record BY FAR since AI, and a return to that sort of style would be cool. I'm just not so sure they can do it since DOS was supposed to be SDAR2 and wasn't even close. I think AI style music with more early Green Day tongue-in-cheek lyrics would be great. Something with a strong presence and some lyrical subtlety like early Green Day music and SDAR had.

The best record will be one that they feel inspired to write, not do for any sales, popularity, nostalgia reasons.

That being said, I still think Stop Drop and Roll is the best Green Day record BY FAR since AI, and a return to that sort of style would be cool. I'm just not so sure they can do it since DOS was supposed to be SDAR2 and wasn't even close. I think AI style music with more early Green Day tongue-in-cheek lyrics would be great. Something with a strong presence and some lyrical subtlety like early Green Day music and SDAR had.

Agreed

And I would also really love this! I disagree that Dos wasn't even close but I'd be more than happy with them having another go at it. I love everything about Stop Drop and Roll and them doing something along those lines, possibly taking it further by bringing it to a higher level with the lyrics/themes, would be really cool.

The only great song on Dos was Stray Heart, and that was an Iggy Pop ripoff.

Keep their pop punk influences and try to expand their sound in a more alternative or "indie", for lack of a better term, way. Stronger focus on lyricism and song writing would also be a plus.

I like this. Something introspective, with a more serious slant. I'd love to hear them experimenting with time signatures and weird keys and stuff. They're all talented musicians, there's no reason why they should stay constrained in the 4/4 3-chord pop punk bubble.

I like this. Something introspective, with a more serious slant. I'd love to hear them experimenting with time signatures and weird keys and stuff. They're all talented musicians, there's no reason why they should stay constrained in the 4/4 3-chord pop punk bubble.

This is interesting because what you are hoping for is stuff that most non-musicians would not get.  So I gather you are looking for them to step out of the box, technically.  They have done it, not often but they have.  Rest is 12/8 , Brutal Love is 6/8 and I think Before the Lobotomy is not 4/4, but I'm not sure.  There is a key change in Letterbomb.  I'm sure there is more.  Overall they haven' t done much, but I'm sure they can.  

I know I probably wouldn't be very inclined to listen to a long rock opera or anything like that. Keep it simple but powerful, just like it's always been. No need to reinvent the wheel. They can explore whatever they feel like, as long as it is still GD.

This is interesting because what you are hoping for is stuff that most non-musicians would not get.  So I gather you are looking for them to step out of the box, technically.  They have done it, not often but they have.  Rest is 12/8 , Brutal Love is 6/8 and I think Before the Lobotomy is not 4/4, but I'm not sure.  There is a key change in Letterbomb.  I'm sure there is more.  Overall they haven' t done much, but I'm sure they can.  

Good shouts, and those are all interesting songs. It'd totally work! I dunno, I want more weird shit like Misery.

I don't really know. their career lost momentum faster than paul walker so I'll settle with some music that isn't too experimental. I want something boring shit, as long as it's new

I think it's about time they stop bullshitting, and I think that's gonna make their best album of the 'new' (post-Warning) era. I think Warning was their last honest album. With Idiot, Breakdown and the Trilogy they seemed like they were stunting themselves as artists for the sake of keeping to their established image. I really want to hear an album where they give up on trying to be "punk" and just write what they want to hear. It's not 1997 anymore.

I don't really know. their career lost momentum faster than paul walker so I'll settle with some music that isn't too experimental. I want something boring shit, as long as it's new

Ouch. I c wut u did thar.

I think it's about time they stop bullshitting, and I think that's gonna make their best album of the 'new' (post-Warning) era. I think Warning was their last honest album. With Idiot, Breakdown and the Trilogy they seemed like they were stunting themselves as artists for the sake of keeping to their established image. I really want to hear an album where they give up on trying to be "punk" and just write what they want to hear. It's not 1997 anymore.

You must have missed the whole part about AI happening because the band was unhappy with the direction they had gone in with C&V, and once those tapes were "lost", they decided to start from scratch with a sound more true to who they were and wanted to be.

Archived