Happy 20th Insomniac

YoungBlood

Insomniac was released 20 years ago today .

I always felt this album was overshadowed by the huge success of Dookike and did not get the recognition it deserved .

What are your thoughts on this amazing album ?

Decent album but nothing too special. You can't compete with Dookie.

Better than Dookie musically and lyrically 

only thing that holds it back is how buried Billie's vocals are 

Definitely my preference over Dookie. It carries an overall bitterness from start to finish, which always spoke to me as a kid.

It has so many great tracks too (which we were talking about earlier in another thread), with lyrics that are so tongue-in-cheek and witty.
Stuck With Me was never one of my favorite songs but I have to hand it to them lyrically, you wouldn't expect lines like that coming from BJ at the time. I also consider it to be their first "political" song. 

It's all very poetic in a sense. This was the album that marked the divergence from songs about girls and growing pains to face drug abuse, emotional (and financial?) insecurity, aging, classism, disillusionment, aggression, etc. I never considered it my favorite album, but looking on it now I'd like to think that it's in the ever-rotating top 3. 

Better than Dookie musically and lyrically

Now that's a load of bullcrap and you know it.

I may be biased, but no GD album speaks lyrically to you as much as Dookie does. Also, I often say that I like simple song structures of GD songs, but Insomniac is just way too simple. The whole album is just a bunch of simple power chords, and you get the feeling that you're listening to the same song over and over again with slight tweaks to make it "original"

I may be biased, but no GD album speaks lyrically to you as much as Dookie does. Also, I often say that I like simple song structures of GD songs, but Insomniac is just way too simple. The whole album is just a bunch of simple power chords, and you get the feeling that you're listening to the same song over and over again with slight tweaks to make it "original"

you're not only biased but also wrong as well 

Can we not just agree that Dookie AND Insomniac rock?

I didn't like Insomniac much at first but after a while, more of the songs have grown on me a lot. Stuck With Me, Brain Stew, Walking Contradiction, 86 and Bab's Uvula Who are awesome!

Insomniac has always been my favourite green day album. Dookie was a great album but insomniac just did it for me and I definitely don't think it got the recognition it deserved

Lyrics on Insomniac are actually very-well made, but all songs are monotonic, all are made with the same powerchords, as Seagull said, maybe something was changed, but not much was changed in order to make the songs different.

It lacks some kind of complexity, but, when looked from that position, then I shouldn't also like Dookie. But there is still something in Dookie that makes me like it. I wonder what.

It depresses me how much I love the lyrics on Insomniac. Some of the best lyrics he's ever written in my opinion. 

Insomniac is actually towards the bottom of GD albums, but I still love it.  There are some great songs with great lyrics.  However, the vocals are so distorted that it really takes away from it for me.  That is really the only reason it is towards the bottom for me.  I prefer Dookie.      

I purchased Insomniac the day it came out at Tower Records in Campbell, CA. I was nine years old. Since then I have purchased every Green Day album on the day of release. And thanks to my parents for never censoring my music!

Phenomenal record. If it weren't for American Idiot, this would be my all time favourite Green Day album.

You pretty much summed up most of the trilogy (yeah, I know I'm a little biased, but it feels way more obvious on the trilogy to me).

Great album. Has the most GD songs I like to come back to. I probably prefer Dookie a LITTLE more, but not by a lot. Neither album is perfect, but they're still fucking great.

I've stated in several other threads how much I love this album. I listen to it over and over because the songs are so good. Happy Birthday Insomniac You ROCK!!! :toocool:

Great album. Has the most GD songs I like to come back to. I probably prefer Dookie a LITTLE more, but not by a lot. Neither album is perfect, but they're still fucking great.

this is me to a tee. i love both. but i love insomniac more though :P 

I don't think the lyrics are that hard to understand. I can understand most of them but not all. I did have to look up the lyrics to Bab's Uvela Who. 

Maybe the one and only album that since i've bought it i've listened it about 150-200 times.

The energy, emotion, attitude, and the "badass-ness" of Insomniac sum up exactly why I love the band.

For me Insomniac is the best Green Day album. The lyrics are probably Billie's best once you've deciphered the mumbling :P

Archived