Is Green Day Irrelevant?

MikeDirntConfused

I was having a conversation with my friends about music, and they all said that Green Day's irrelevant and forgotten. This kind of shocked me. I mean, I know that the band lost most of its popularity after American Idiot.  But at the same time,  I've always thought that that the band was still somewhat relevant due to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction, and the whole iHeart Radio debacle. 

The more people I asked, the more people viewed Green Day as long gone. Do you guys think that Green Day can reclaim the throne at least one more time again-to the levels of Dookie and American Idiot?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple answer is "Yes". In terms of mainstream music, they'd be lucky if they had a Top 10 hit ever again. While still reasonably influential in the alt-rock/pop-punk scene, outside of that very few people would know or care much about Green Day. They haven't had a radio hit in half a decade. Rock music in America is dying on it's arse. They'll still draw big crowds at the likes of Reading, Glastonbury, and other European festivals, but that's as a nostalgia act, not as a wildly popular radio band.

As for having another album the likes of Dookie or AI? Incredibly unlikely. The fact that they even have two albums of such cultural significance is incredible, a third would beggar belief. They're aging rockstars in their forties. That is not a demographic noted for producing hugely important albums, or even moderately successful albums. Unless you're Bruce Springsteen, this is the time to ease up, do a tour every few years to get the kids through college, and maybe knock out an album or two a decade.

The simple answer is "Yes". In terms of mainstream music, they'd be lucky if they had a Top 10 hit ever again. While still reasonably influential in the alt-rock/pop-punk scene, outside of that very few people would know or care much about Green Day. They haven't had a radio hit in half a decade. Rock music in America is dying on it's arse. They'll still draw big crowds at the likes of Reading, Glastonbury, and other European festivals, but that's as a nostalgia act, not as a wildly popular radio band.

As for having another album the likes of Dookie or AI? Incredibly unlikely. The fact that they even have two albums of such cultural significance is incredible, a third would beggar belief. They're aging rockstars in their forties. That is not a demographic noted for producing hugely important albums, or even moderately successful albums. Unless you're Bruce Springsteen, this is the time to ease up, do a tour every few years to get the kids through college, and maybe knock out an album or two a decade.

As much as I would like to say fuck off Ceadog - I agree - here in Australia I doubt anyone outside of real fans know they were even inducted into the HOF.  I still believe they have good music in them but whether that appeals to anyone outside the fan base is yet to be seen.

As long as they keep milking American Idiot they will never be irrelevant.

I do wonder what the future has in store for the group. Kinda feel like this next album has to sort of put them "back on the map" so to speak. I think about a band like R.E.M. that faded into horrible obscurity in their 40s, but then put out two really great albums to sort of close their career on a high note.

I think the music industry in America is a joke nowadays. Bands like Green Day aren't appreciated. I have Sirius Radio and Alt Nation will just play the same six or seven hot bands (Coin, Vinyl Theatre, Joywave, Saint Motel, Vance Joy, etc) on a constant loop. Newer, genuine rock music is overlooked. Muse's new album, while not the most radio-friendly, didn't get much airplay. Groups like The Gaslight Anthem, The Airborne Toxic Event...I'll never understand how those bands aren't more relevant. Shit, Weezer's last record was brilliant and didn't get the attention it deserved.

I guess my point is that radio will play whatever songs a few "experts" deem radio friendly and play those constantly. They just play these fucking awful bands that don't even play instruments or do shit with their music. It's all very frustrating.

the best way to answer is what Ceadog said really. Right now the biggest band keeping up in the mainstream with rock in my opinion is Foo Fighters. Their Sonic Highways album hit #2 (dammit taylor swift) and they've been selling out arenas like crazy and I really hope rock will find it's way into making a huge comeback soon.

I work with kids for a living. Most of them have no idea who they are. Then I sing a few lines of 21 Guns or  Boulevard and then they recognize them. There is hope! Green Day is at their best when they're inspired, which I feel is what the trilogy lacked. Considering all that's happened the past few years, I think they'll have plenty of inspiration.

Relevant now? No. But the Beatles aren't relevant. Nirvana isn't relevant. Green Day's current popularity may fade, but they still have a presence.

Basically, yes. Rock as a whole is dying, losing the battle to pop, rap, house, even country (which has become more like pop than bluegrass, but whatever). With a few exceptions, straightforward rock bands just don't appeal to the younger demographic anymore. Punk? Well, punk is very, very dead at this point, but Green Day left punk behind and became an arena rock band in 2004.

Green Day will probably spawn a hit single or two off of any future records, but those screaming 15-year-old girls in the pit from the 21CB tour? They'll be pushing 25 by the time GD releases another album and heads out on tour again, and there aren't any 15-year-old girls lined up to take their place like there were in 2004. Those kids' attention has been diverted to synth-pop and boy bands--the shit we tried to kill in the early '00s with bands like Green Day. We failed you. I'm sorry.

That's not to say that rock can't be revived, but it's going to take on a new form in the process. The Foo Fighters are the last warriors of "classic" rock. They prefer straightforward guitar-driven songs. There really aren't any other major bands out there like them, and they're even starting to acknowledge their "dinosaur" status by playing a handful of covers at each show. Green Day will be able to go on nostalgia tours for as long as they want to, playing the greatest hits to a crowd of devoted 40-something fans, spending 45 of the 120 minutes alloted to the set in an endless "hey-oh" parade, maybe even going as a double bill with Journey or Def Leppard if they really want to experience what it's like to be old. They might drop another album or two over time, but another Dookie or AI? Nah. That's not going to happen.

It kind of couldn't be a worse time to ask that :lol:, when they're in the middle of an extended break, on the back of a triple album release that was massively disrupted and set back by Billie being in rehab and all three of them being totally out of the spotlight during the months the albums were being released.

There's no way they've been irrelevant since American Idiot, 21st Century Breakdown had a huge amount of positive media attention, saw them all over TV, went to number one here and won the Best Rock Album Grammy, plus the tour was successful and the AI musical coming out shortly afterwards added to the attention they were given. They were not irrelevant at that point.

Are they particularly relevant now? No, which is unsurprising given the circumstances above, but then as mentioned what rock bands other than indie/electronic type acts are relevant in the mainstream right now? Despite all this they're still a well known band and when their next album is released I'm sure it'll get a decent amount of attention, and depending on whether it's considered good or not it could do well and they could become more relevant. Rock music will probably become more popular again one day as well, as music trends change the way they do, hopefully it'll coincide with a Green Day release :P

This will tell you how bad it is. About a year and a half ago, I was in a lesson at school and the teacher had the radio on when I heard they were playing BoBD (which is quite rare around me, would you believe) and I was the only person, out of 18 people, who actually knew what the song was and who it was by. And yet, if I mentioned AI or WMUWSE, then they know the song but they don't really know 21 Guns, despite how far up the mainstream top 40 it got to.

I agree with pretty much everything people have said, I just disagree with the use of the terms relevant and irrelevant.  I think there is a big difference between relevant and popular.  Are GD popular right now?  No, they are not.  Are they relevant, yes, in the same sense that The Beatles, The Who, etc are.  They are musically significant and always will be (OK, not to the same extent as The Beatles, but still significant).  Most artists in the world would kill for 10% of the success they have had.  People will always know their name and will always know certain songs.  

Will they ever be as popular as they were during AI?  Highly unlikely.  They are aging rock stars (sorry ladies, Billie does look his age, gray hair, wrinkles, reading glasses).  Will they ever sell out arenas they way they used too?  Probably not the huge ones, but I still think they can sell out smaller ones, just like the other aging rock stars do.  The truth is, they don't ever have to put out another album again, ever, if they don't want too.  If they ever do, I think they are going to put out something that they really believe in, because there is nothing left to prove.

Someone had said something about the Foo Fighters being super popular.  I found that interesting because my kids, and their friends listen to GD (yes they do listen to them and not because I do) alot more than the listen to Foo Fighters.   They actually hate The Foo Fighters.  I don't know any teen that listens to them.  They are also aging rock stars, they are just aging rock stars that have a newer album out.  It could be that the same demographic that is going to Foo Fighters shows would go to GD.  

I agree with pretty much everything people have said, I just disagree with the use of the terms relevant and irrelevant.  I think there is a big difference between relevant and popular.  Are GD popular right now?  No, they are not.  Are they relevant, yes, in the same sense that The Beatles, The Who, etc are.  They are musically significant and always will be (OK, not to the same extent as The Beatles, but still significant).  Most artists in the world would kill for 10% of the success they have had.  People will always know their name and will always know certain songs.  

Will they ever be as popular as they were during AI?  Highly unlikely.  They are aging rock stars (sorry ladies, Billie does look his age, gray hair, wrinkles, reading glasses).  Will they ever sell out arenas they way they used too?  Probably not the huge ones, but I still think they can sell out smaller ones, just like the other aging rock stars do.  The truth is, they don't ever have to put out another album again, ever, if they don't want too.  If they ever do, I think they are going to put out something that they really believe in, because there is nothing left to prove.

Someone had said something about the Foo Fighters being super popular.  I found that interesting because my kids, and their friends listen to GD (yes they do listen to them and not because I do) alot more than the listen to Foo Fighters.   They actually hate The Foo Fighters.  I don't know any teen that listens to them.  They are also aging rock stars, they are just aging rock stars that have a newer album out.  It could be that the same demographic that is going to Foo Fighters shows would go to GD.  

Interesting point with Foo Fighters. Even though they are the most seen mainstream rock band doesn't mean teens listen to them. I'd say that the most liked band among girls my age is Arctic Monkeys. The difference between Foos and Green Day is that ff aren't seen as a band primarily loved by little girls. That makes them look more valid. 

They are irrelevant these days, I hope they can be relevant again but I highly doubt it because the music people buy now is by Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and One Direction.

Interesting point with Foo Fighters. Even though they are the most seen mainstream rock band doesn't mean teens listen to them. I'd say that the most liked band among girls my age is Arctic Monkeys. The difference between Foos and Green Day is that ff aren't seen as a band primarily loved by little girls. That makes them look more valid. 

The Arctic Monkeys???  My kids and their friends have no idea who The Arctic Monkeys are.  That is a band I listen too.  Here, GD is most definitely not considered a band little girls listen too, they are a band their parents listen too.  And The Foo Fighters are just considered screamers.  They most definitely do not have more cred.  Seriously, my girls think of The Foo Fighters as the band led by the not hot guy from Nirvana.

The Arctic Monkeys???  My kids and their friends have no idea who The Arctic Monkeys are.  That is a band I listen too.  Here, GD is most definitely not considered a band little girls listen too, they are a band their parents listen too.  And The Foo Fighters are just considered screamers.  They most definitely do not have more cred.  Seriously, my girls think of The Foo Fighters as the band led by the not hot guy from Nirvana.

My schoolmates like them. Three girls regularly spam my social media with pictures of Alex Turner. I know  people who listen to Green Day, but it's not a cool thing to do anymore :P Tbh, your girls are right, and I say that as someone who loved Wasting Light. They were praised for that album. 

also, I should go on a holiday to the US. I want to see a land where Green Day is taken seriously. 

They're talented singers who put out some catchy as fuck tunes and put on a good show. There's nothing wrong with liking them :P

But they are sellouts :(

also, I should go on a holiday to the US. I want to see a land where Green Day is taken seriously. 

HAHAHAHAHA  I wouldn't go that far.  It is just a land where the Foo Fighters are not taken anymore seriously.   

They're talented singers who put out some catchy as fuck tunes and put on a good show. There's nothing wrong with liking them :P

Did you read that before you posted it??

As for the question: yes.

As for the explanation: Céadóg.

As someone who likes their music: who cares for relevant or irrelevant?

HAHAHAHAHA  I wouldn't go that far.  It is just a land where the Foo Fighters are not taken anymore seriously.   

Did you read that before you posted it??

holiday spoiled :P

eh no.

:lol:

the best way to answer is what Ceadog said really. Right now the biggest band keeping up in the mainstream with rock in my opinion is Foo Fighters. Their Sonic Highways album hit #2 (dammit taylor swift) and they've been selling out arenas like crazy and I really hope rock will find it's way into making a huge comeback soon.

Right now the ONLY band keeping rock in the 'mainstream' 

that's just like.... your opinion man.

it sure is, I don't believe in music which is handed to a bunch of marketable puppets to make money for some suits at a record label. I believe in artists that can write, record and perform their own music and make their own choices.

Archived