Is Green Day Irrelevant?

MikeDirntConfused

2 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Conventional is only sticking to rules and established standards.  That is the actual definition.  Taking inspiration from someone is not necessarily being conventional.  All artists take inspiration from others.  But the good ones can take that inspiration and make it their own.  

Got it right!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Green Day relevant?  Yes and No;  I say this because magazines still write about them, I still hear them on the radio at least once a week (I live in NZ).  No because they aren't currently active and they haven't been in quite a while.  Commercially 21CB was more successful in NZ than AI,  There was a big build up up to UNO here but after that it went quiet obviously due to Billies meltdown.

In saying that who knows what the future holds?  This is a band that has always had people who doubted them and guess what they've proven they can reinvent themselves before so I can guarantee you that they are able to do it again.  Will they reach the same heights as AI?  Probably not but that doesn't mean they wont win more grammys, sellout multiple gigs or have another top 10 single so well they may not be totally relevant right now a band that has scaled the heights Green Day has will never be irrelevant while they are active.

1 final point I have a mate that HATES Green Day but there are three songs by Green Day he really enjoys X-Kid, 21 Guns, Wake Me Up WSE; point being I dont know anybody who doesnt like at least 1 Green Day song.  So to me when you have people as young as 15/16 and as old as 50/60 enjoying a band they can't be irrelevant.

Just my opinion :)

They must still be relevant because I still hear their songs on the 1 rock radio station we have. 2 days ago they played " Welcome To Paradise" which I've never heard on the radio before. Usually it's Basket Case, BOBD, WMUWSE or Geek Stick Breath. It was so awesome to hear that song and I cranked it up and sang along.

1 hour ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

They must still be relevant because I still hear their songs on the 1 rock radio station we have. 2 days ago they played " Welcome To Paradise" which I've never heard on the radio before. Usually it's Basket Case, BOBD, WMUWSE or Geek Stick Breath. It was so awesome to hear that song and I cranked it up and sang along.

The same thing happened to me last week! :D

I really don't see their albums picking up any pop/top-40 radio airplay anymore. Like people have stated, they're really relevant in the rock/mainly alternative scene but beyond that, no one cares. Let's even think about a lot of alternative these days, especially popular alternative, it's mainly poppy/electronic. When American Idiot came out, I know being into rock was more "cool" and it was more in the mainstream for sure. 

• 4 months later...

Damn, I was watching AI concerts and interviews. It still surprises me how popular they were. I wish the band could reclaim the top spot, but I know it'll likely never happen again. 

It doesn't really matter if they're relavent or not. I like them no matter what. I don't care what other people think about it.

12 minutes ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

It doesn't really matter if they're relavent or not. I like them no matter what. I don't care what other people think about it.

It definitely affects their image to the public. I know that since they were inducted into the Hall of Fame, GD has become more of a legacy act - like the Beatles, U2, AC/DC, etc. That's cool, and the band deservedly acquired that spot. However, to a lot of the public the band is now "old news", "has beens", or "middle school years". I know it's unrealistic to expect any band to keep churning top 10s throughout their career.

I really miss walking into a store and hearing GD play, seeing the band members on magazines, turning the tv on and seeing them play, hearing conversations about their music, seeing a number of people wearing GD shirts, and random GD bracelets/stickers being sold as gas stations. During AI, the band was on top of the world - they were kings!

In the rock community they're still relevant. A band that has such huge success can never be irrelevant again, no matter how much the last effort underperformed.

Speaking in general, everyone seems to become pretty irrelevant as soon as they leave the spotlight. It's how the music business seems to be right now. Everyone is replaceable and hits mean nothing anymore.

2 hours ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

I really miss walking into a store and hearing GD play, seeing the band members on magazines, turning the tv on and seeing them play, hearing conversations about their music, seeing a number of people wearing GD shirts, and random GD bracelets/stickers being sold as gas stations. During AI, the band was on top of the world - they were kings!

ha I walked into a electronics store yesterday I could hear BOBD playing - so I found the source & stood & watched the guys on a huge screen - it made me :)

I still hear Green Day on the radio. As a matter of fact I heard them 3 times last week on the same rock station. They played, BOBD, Basketcase and suprisingly, Welcome to Paradise.

Up here in Toronto, Green Day gets heard on classic rock radio and pop radio every now and then.  Not necessarily just Good Riddance or Boulevard or 21 Guns or any teeny-bopper pop singles, I mean stuff like Longview and Brain Stew and Holiday, y'know, the more fun ones so to speak.

People know what Green Day is, and they're pretty indifferent as far as I can tell.  It's either "eww they suck" or "ehh they're cool", or "man I remember being *age* and being super into American Idiot".

When I went to their concert at the ACC in 2013, the crowd was any and every age, even on the floor, which is where I was.  There were older couples in their late 40s and up, kids, teenagers, it really didn't have a consistent demographic, but that's how I've typically found Green Day to be.

Someone said it earlier in the thread that Green Day is sorta like The Beatles in the sense that everyone knows at least one song by them, so therefore their presence will always be around.

In terms of relevance currently?  Until their next album drops, it's a no.  Even once that album drops, we can only pray they have some excellent marketing ready to sell more albums than Taylor Swift and Drake and whatnot.  In terms of marketing, I really think they could've done pretty well if Billie wasn't lost in pills and booze when they started promoting the albums.  The album covers looked great, the music was, in my eyes, not terrible but not godly, but they would've sold much like the Foo Fighter's most recent album did.  I dunno, don't wanna make this whole thing about the Trilogy now, but I think there were a lot of great tracks in there mixed in with some songs that should've just been scrapped, but the point of those albums was to clear away the garbage they had laying around in their song-writing books for however many years, seeing as some of the songs were from Cigarettes and Valentines and from before and after 21st CB.

Wouldn't it be nice having an actual rock act in the top sellers?  Even if it's a "poppy" band like Green Day?  Just some band to make the mainstream American music scene less "LOOK AT THESE PRETTY GIRLS WITH REALLY CONVINCING TUNED VOCALS, THEY'RE REAL MUSIC" and "LOOK AT THIS AFRICAN AMERICAN MAN, HE CAN DO THE RAPPING, BUT HE SINGS TOO SO YOU KNOW HE'S A SENSITIVE LOVER LIKE ALL YOU HOES OUT THERE 'WANT' SUPPOSEDLY, THEY'RE REAL MUSIC".  Not that they aren't "real music", it's just all people will give a shit about cuz rock is completely out of style, and Toronto is very much a city that cares about what's in style.

I don't know, maybe it's a Toronto thing, but as far as I can tell, any rock outside of indie rock (and even then) is worth as much as a crushed soda can on the sidewalk, it's a common sight, and no one gives half a shit to pick it up, but they all recognize it in the back of their minds for what it is, or once was, and no one wants to be seen picking it up.

All things are irrelevant to people who have no interest in them, regardless of their significance.  The President of Turkey has almost no bearing on my day-to-day existence and is pretty irrelevant to me, but that doesn't mean he's not ridiculously relevant to millions of people.  I see Green Day's relevance in much the same way.

I don't think they're irrelevant, just not as relevant as they once were.I blame rock dying in general. Idiot came out at a time when rock was at a higher demand. I'm Breakdown came out when rock was declining. Honestly, that album was awesome. I felt like it could have had hits if it came out a few years earlier.  I hate to say it, but in the mainstream, they mostly survive just on Dookie and Idiot. Unless you're a real fan, you won't know any other albums really besides those two. It's a shame because all of their albums are amazing to me. I get tired of everyone thinking dookie and idiot when they hear "Green Day." I honestly think the trilogy hurt their relevancy due to lack of promotion. Seriously guys, those albums had some strong songs on them that could have been hits. They were meant to be stripped down fun records and that's what they are. I thought they delivered. I also thought they were inspired! Judge me. Anyway, since none of the trilogy songs were hits , that really hurt their popularity. aNd now it's been four years since then and they've been pretty inactive. They need to deliver big this time with the right promotion.

5 hours ago, HighHorse said:

Up here in Toronto, Green Day gets heard on classic rock radio and pop radio every now and then.  Not necessarily just Good Riddance or Boulevard or 21 Guns or any teeny-bopper pop singles, I mean stuff like Longview and Brain Stew and Holiday, y'know, the more fun ones so to speak.

People know what Green Day is, and they're pretty indifferent as far as I can tell.  It's either "eww they suck" or "ehh they're cool", or "man I remember being *age* and being super into American Idiot".

When I went to their concert at the ACC in 2013, the crowd was any and every age, even on the floor, which is where I was.  There were older couples in their late 40s and up, kids, teenagers, it really didn't have a consistent demographic, but that's how I've typically found Green Day to be.

Someone said it earlier in the thread that Green Day is sorta like The Beatles in the sense that everyone knows at least one song by them, so therefore their presence will always be around.

In terms of relevance currently?  Until their next album drops, it's a no.  Even once that album drops, we can only pray they have some excellent marketing ready to sell more albums than Taylor Swift and Drake and whatnot.  In terms of marketing, I really think they could've done pretty well if Billie wasn't lost in pills and booze when they started promoting the albums.  The album covers looked great, the music was, in my eyes, not terrible but not godly, but they would've sold much like the Foo Fighter's most recent album did.  I dunno, don't wanna make this whole thing about the Trilogy now, but I think there were a lot of great tracks in there mixed in with some songs that should've just been scrapped, but the point of those albums was to clear away the garbage they had laying around in their song-writing books for however many years, seeing as some of the songs were from Cigarettes and Valentines and from before and after 21st CB.

Wouldn't it be nice having an actual rock act in the top sellers?  Even if it's a "poppy" band like Green Day?  Just some band to make the mainstream American music scene less "LOOK AT THESE PRETTY GIRLS WITH REALLY CONVINCING TUNED VOCALS, THEY'RE REAL MUSIC" and "LOOK AT THIS AFRICAN AMERICAN MAN, HE CAN DO THE RAPPING, BUT HE SINGS TOO SO YOU KNOW HE'S A SENSITIVE LOVER LIKE ALL YOU HOES OUT THERE 'WANT' SUPPOSEDLY, THEY'RE REAL MUSIC".  Not that they aren't "real music", it's just all people will give a shit about cuz rock is completely out of style, and Toronto is very much a city that cares about what's in style.

I don't know, maybe it's a Toronto thing, but as far as I can tell, any rock outside of indie rock (and even then) is worth as much as a crushed soda can on the sidewalk, it's a common sight, and no one gives half a shit to pick it up, but they all recognize it in the back of their minds for what it is, or once was, and no one wants to be seen picking it up.

I 100% agree with you. The trilogy is underrated. There are some weak tracks on it but even still, it is all around a string effort that could have been more successful if the breakdown and lack of marketing didn't occur. I mean UNO was promoted well and it sold 152,000 in the US for opening week. In 2012, and for a rock band, that's pretty damn good. If the other two discs were promoted as well, they would have also probably done well . I honestly loved the trilogy and was pretty let down with how it played out as far as promotion and touring goes . It's real shame that it could have been way more successful. Just the idea of a trilogy was bad ass from the start lol 

I think Green Day are pretty relevant in their own scene, but their scene is no longer popular. Anyone who's not a pop/RnB singer won't be "relevant" to general public. But what do you expect from the same people who say Madonna is irrelevant?

I don't think this kind of artists' relevance can be judged. Green Day has inspired lots of bands, and that's something that no one can change.

On 6/1/2016 at 10:33 PM, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

ha I walked into a electronics store yesterday I could hear BOBD playing - so I found the source & stood & watched the guys on a huge screen - it made me :)

I also saw someone in a (new) Green Day shirt a couple of days ago, excellent :D 

Archived