Billie Joe's panic disorder

PleasedToMeetMe

The song was co-written. Mike has experienced panic attacks as well. He actually had serious problems with them back then - if I'm correct, the Insomniac tour was cut short because of his issues.

Yeah he had/has some sort of mild heart condition and stress from the tour was causing him to have panic attacks which exacerbated it. 

• Like 3

Yeah he had/has some sort of mild heart condition and stress from the tour was causing him to have panic attacks which exacerbated it.

thanks for clearing this up! :)

thanks for clearing this up! :)

No problem! I think they've said they were all burnt out/exhausted at the time but Mike's health being affected by it to that extent was just too much, and it was a well needed break for all of them.

• Like 2

No problem! I think they've said they were all burnt out/exhausted at the time but Mike's health being affected by it to that extent was just too much, and it was a well needed break for all of them.

They took the break after a gig in Prague which was recorded (at least a part of it) and it's sounds good, but I read that this concert "didn't go well". I have no idea what was it supposed to mean, though.

What is actually a panic disorder? Is it when you fear strangers for no reason? Cause that's what I do.

What is actually a panic disorder? Is it when you fear strangers for no reason? Cause that's what I do.

no, it demonstrates by sudden bouts of fear and somatic symptoms such as nausea or racing heart and chest pains. 

• Like 1

no, it demonstrates by sudden bouts of fear and somatic symptoms such as nausea or racing heart and chest pains. 

ah ok thx, then I have something different

• Like 1

They took the break after a gig in Prague which was recorded (at least a part of it) and it's sounds good, but I read that this concert "didn't go well". I have no idea what was it supposed to mean, though.

I don't know if it was the same concert or the one that was meant to be after it, but I remember them saying something like the place they were supposed to play was really crappy with broken glass on the floor and stuff. Sounds like everything came together and it was time for a break.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2015 at 8:26 AM, Jane Lannister said:

Alcohol induces anxiety and weed magnifies it's effect so the mix can cause panic attacks, especially if you're prone to them.  

Curiosity is one bitch of a privacy invader :P 

well, let's say that if he's healthy there's no reason to keep us updated, because the last time we heard from him he was ok. And we will eventually find out if he's not, however , what good will us that knowledge do? :D Personally, I'm satisfied with Schrödinger's view - he's sober and high at the same time untill I learn which is the case. 

I'm liking this just because of the Schrodinger's cat reference. 😉😺

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unextraordinarygirl said:

I'm liking this just because of the Schrodinger's cat reference. 😉😺

Thank you, I'm most definitely a cat person 😙

• 2 years later...

hi to all I do have panic attacks due to what I have had to deal with in my life but above all because of the accident I had I am a TBI with panic disorder, tumor in the middle of the brain cant be operated and no more seizures yeah for me, and I was also wondering if Billie with all respects can tell me how he deals with it besides making such breathtaking compositions of lyrics that will make anyone think look feel to what he is trying to say in his performance which he is awesome all three of them  together. I know that he has said that he takes walks and within his mind he writes phrases and all but is there something or someway to maintain the panics, because I go to school and I need to keep myself into doing things but when its time to relax and chill within me I need to do something and I don't know if Billie has to do that or what does he do to relief that stress of panic if I may ask I did lose my companion of 6 years to Liver Cancer and none of my family understand what it is to go through that situation when one says that you were the reason of the passing or you did it to him so I am wondering of what he does when he feels that a panic attack will happen or does he just take time of for himself I was just wondering and hoping something can help if not I do wish all here and these great guys the best always forever a fanatic since the begging Billie never ending Green Day yeah

On 1/31/2017 at 8:55 AM, Juls said:

I'm grateful to Billie for having the courage to be open about it, it really helps to know you're not alone.

Totally agree. 
I haven't speak to anyone about what I feel or what I was feeling 2 years ago. 
But I'm the one who want to avoid social situations and worse, I'm the one who prefer avoiding social contact, even for stupid thing like "Ehy, do you know where the bus stop is?" 
My comfort zone is my bedroom but at the same time my bedroom is my prison. It's like feeling safe but going crazy at the same time. 

On 10/9/2015 at 4:05 AM, E!!i said:

What you have described sounds like social anxiety. You may experience panic attacks if you're in a situation that is severely stressful.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:05 AM, Melodramfool said:

Totally agree. 
I haven't speak to anyone about what I feel or what I was feeling 2 years ago. 
But I'm the one who want to avoid social situations and worse, I'm the one who prefer avoiding social contact, even for stupid thing like "Ehy, do you know where the bus stop is?" 
My comfort zone is my bedroom but at the same time my bedroom is my prison. It's like feeling safe but going crazy at the same time. 

thank you for answering I do appreciate it very much my friend my only space is the bedroom as well as the office they are my safe haven but when one enters not invited I feel very voilated and at times don't know what to do then when invade in your comfort zone what do you do if I may ask?

• 1 year later...

Ugh, I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder. It didn't start until my late 20's, I used to love going to concerts etc, now the thought of being in a room full of people make me panic just thinking about it lol. Question for those that suffer from this - how do you get the courage to go to concerts again and how do you cope when you are there? I would REALLY love to see them again.

I just saw this thread because someone commented on it, and now I am wondering why it exists? I applaud the people who are sharing their experiences here and who are drawing inspiration from Billie, but I thought the rule on this site was that we do not speculate on the band members' personal lives, and that seems to be what is going on here (trying to psychoanalyze Billie outside of the things he has shared publicly about this issue). Maybe the discussion of people's own experiences should be taken to the mental health thread and Billie should be left out of this?

5 hours ago, sherilee said:

Question for those that suffer from this - how do you get the courage to go to concerts again and how do you cope when you are there? I would REALLY love to see them again.

When I was 19 I moved overseas (first time living away from home). After six months I was attacked in broad daylight and had to have my head stitched back up. After that I couldn't stand being in crowds/crowded places and I'm still not a great fan of people getting too close but back in 2010 I managed to go back into the pit at a GD show and I've never looked back. Since then I've been back to the city where the attack happened and been on the front row which was like a mega achievement for me. Long and short of the story I think it just takes time

• Like 1
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

When I was 19 I moved overseas (first time living away from home). After six months I was attacked in broad daylight and had to have my head stitched back up. After that I couldn't stand being in crowds/crowded places and I'm still not a great fan of people getting too close but back in 2010 I managed to go back into the pit at a GD show and I've never looked back. Since then I've been back to the city where the attack happened and been on the front row which was like a mega achievement for me. Long and short of the story I think it just takes time

Thank you for that :) Good for you for getting back out there!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

I just saw this thread because someone commented on it, and now I am wondering why it exists? I applaud the people who are sharing their experiences here and who are drawing inspiration from Billie, but I thought the rule on this site was that we do not speculate on the band members' personal lives, and that seems to be what is going on here (trying to psychoanalyze Billie outside of the things he has shared publicly about this issue). Maybe the discussion of people's own experiences should be taken to the mental health thread and Billie should be left out of this?

It'e very public knowledge that Billie has a panic/anxiety disorder because he has mentioned it many times. From what I can tell, there is not really a lot of speculation going on. Mainly just acknowledgment of what Billie has said he's struggled with and how his ability to overcome has inspired a lot of fans with similar issues.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slave To The Network said:

It'e very public knowledge that Billie has a panic/anxiety disorder because he has mentioned it many times. From what I can tell, there is not really a lot of speculation going on. Mainly just acknowledgment of what Billie has said he's struggled with and how his ability to overcome has inspired a lot of fans with similar issues.

Makes sense. I guess I just don't know what more can really be said beyond, "Billie has a a panic disorder, and he has been very successful in spite of it." And therefore I don't know that it warrants a thread. A thread invites speculation beyond what he has shared publicly. And if people want to talk about their own experiences (which I fully support), there are better threads for that. Just my two cents. 

10 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

OP was just asking whether there's examples of Billie talking about it in interviews (which there are, as well as in lyrics), so speculation wasn't involved.

• Like 2