'murka praised for new levels of efficiency as it reached 1/3 of it's daily gun murder quota in under an hour

fukingcounterstrike

Just listened to Obama's speech. That was powerful. I wish people would just put aside politics and just listen, really listen to what he said, because everything he said made perfect sense. 

you fucking liberal

• Like 4

Fuzz

Obama's speech on this shooting. 

• Like 3

Maid Meringue

If we're talking about the shooting in Oregon today, I think these school shootings (high school and college level) say more about the US educational system than it does access to weapons. I'm not too clear on USA weapon laws, but I feel as though the past 10 years have shown an increase in violence while access to guns has remained pretty consistent. 

Hear me out (and I'm open to criticism) 

Students have a lot of pressure here, more so than ever. High schoolers are expected to do a million things at once to get into college - I can't even begin to understand it.  I graduated 4 years ago, and the stuff I hear students going through these days is quite literally insane. I myself grew up with and continue to play with thoughts of suicide now and again because, despite how hard I worked, I was never good enough to somebody. Not my mother, not the school board, not the people I was forced to be around, and especially not myself because all we are good for are numbers on a little piece of paper (be it grades, performance reviews, money, etc).  
No CHILD should be under so much stress that they'd rather hurt themselves and others to get out of it (in this context "out of it" means an escape from reality or to relieve the pressure emotionally).  

University is the same thing. Just 20 years ago, college was a cakewalk compared to what most upper level students face now. On top of having to compete for passing grades and dealing with shit adjunct professors, they have to work for pennies while accumulating thousands in debt, and then they get out and nobody wants them. It's just a slippery slope and an everyday fact of life, but it can create unstable behavior in those who can't handle it. 

Guns are dangerous, I don't like them. I certainly would not like having one in my face. But I think instead of saying "we need to ban weapons, that will fix the problem", we have to change as a society first and address what makes people feel the need to do it. 
I DO understand, however, that some people are just quite literally dangerous and no amount of counseling or understanding will fix that, in which case perhaps there could be some sort of screening method to obtain dangerous equipment. If I need a background check to work as a server, they should have an EXTENSIVE one for possession. 

I heard about this. It's terrible and I do think America should get a gun control law asap. Shootings rarely happen in countries that have it and it's not true you wouldn't be able to get a gun if you wanted it for self-defence. It's the same as getting a driver's licence. You need to pass a test. No huge deal. 

This is very true, I think the issue at hand is that there are very legal ways of obtaining guns here (my mom got a concealed weapon's license when she was working with ATM machines) but it's those who obtain them illegally for bad intentions. Just like the drug problem here in the states, where we have a lot of people who use drugs (be it pharmaceutical or otherwise) responsibly and go through the process, or they go around the law and get it anyway. It's kind of like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

• Like 3

AlissaGoesRAWR

Wild celebrations broke out across the US this morning when a man set a new time record for murdering innocent civilians. Proud Americans wept in joy at the man's choice to use his freedom to massacre bright young minds due to him being a massive fucking cunt. Conservative commentators have already rushed to praise the unknown hero's efforts, and to emphasise the importance of his right bear arms. Donald Trump has been quoted as saying, in response to the incident, that "Every American should have the right to go fucking mental and shoot anyone he likes, that's freedom baby"

When pressed for a statement, an NRA spokesman said "We are currently looking into arming guns used by good guys, so as to more efficiently stop bad guys with guns, whose guns will be unarmed, thus giving them a major disadvantage".

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-umpqua-community-college-oregon-182211198.html

I repped this because of your effective use of satire, not because I support school shootings, because what you said is just so ridiculously accurate...  and what's even more ironic is that you're officially one of us now! 

Obama's speech on this shooting. 

At 3:00, that got really fucking good... I got chills. It's all so true, but anyone who is against Democrats/Obama won't even listen because it's him speaking.

DookieLukie

Just listened to Obama's speech. That was powerful. I wish people would just put aside politics and just listen, really listen to what he said, because everything he said made perfect sense. 

Best speech by a black man since MLK Jr tbh

Jk, I don't listen to black people.

Actually, in all honesty the thing that bugs me the most about Brock Abama is that he talks with a very condescending tone about the government he represents. I've liked past presidents who say "These are things WE need to fix/work on." Obama always seems to push the blame onto some unknown entity. The blame is on the voters and the government, which he represents. Take some blame dude.

Edited by DookieLukie

AlissaGoesRAWR

If we're talking about the shooting in Oregon today, I think these school shootings (high school and college level) say more about the US educational system than it does access to weapons. I'm not too clear on USA weapon laws, but I feel as though the past 10 years have shown an increase in violence while access to guns has remained pretty consistent. 

Hear me out (and I'm open to criticism) 

I agree with you in the sense that there are many, many factors at play here — it isn't as simple as "ban guns, problem is gone." But you have to also consider these shootings just don't happen at schools. They happen everywhere, by people of all ages. Yes, school is difficult, but the themes you mentioned are illustrated also in the workplace (low pay, little respect, ridiculous expectations and hours, no benefits). Also, you have to consider the way our culture looks at violent acts. By the time you're a teen, you're basically desensitized to it.

So fixing the educational system isn't the only problem the U.S. has to deal with... basically, we're all fucked up in a multitude of ways. :P  

• Like 1

Maid Meringue

I agree with you in the sense that there are many, many factors at play here — it isn't as simple as "ban guns, problem is gone." But you have to also consider these shootings just don't happen at schools. They happen everywhere, by people of all ages. Yes, school is difficult, but the themes you mentioned are illustrated also in the workplace (low pay, little respect, ridiculous expectations and hours, no benefits). Also, you have to consider the way our culture looks at violent acts. By the time you're a teen, you're basically desensitized to it.

So fixing the educational system isn't the only problem the U.S. has to deal with... basically, we're all fucked up in a multitude of ways. :P  

I'm really glad that you pointed that out, because it's very true. I was using school because of today's case, but indeed it's happening in all types of environments. 

Desensitization may not be as much of a factor as we attribute it to be. The common belief is "well they're used to seeing blood on the news and in video games, so it doesn't matter to the youngins anymore" but I even noticed myself today - I was getting notifications to my phone every couple hours about it, but I just barely glanced and went "*sigh* here we go again" and then went back to reading my book. It's unfortunate that we've grown up during times of war and violence, where this has become the norm. But in the same hand I think every generation has had its dose of gore, and the horrors of warfare and bloodshed are more than real in many other countries, so it isn't exclusive to modern America enough to be the root of the issue. I don't quite know, honestly. It's so easy to make assumptions but then people like you and I look into it and it becomes more and more of a mess. 

Beerjeezus

Best speech by a black man since MLK Jr tbh

Jk, I don't listen to black people.

Actually, in all honesty the thing that bugs me the most about Brock Abama is that he talks with a very condescending tone about the government he represents. I've liked past presidents who say "These are things WE need to fix/work on." Obama always seems to push the blame onto some unknown entity. The blame is on the voters and the government, which he represents. Take some blame dude.

Obama's problem is that he can't change much even when he wants to. He can talk, I agree with him, but unfortunately that's  all. 

The Disappearing Boy

That was a great speech by Obama, it really felt like it came from the heart. I remember after Sandy Hook he was emotional, sad. Now he's just angry. Hopefully it will change something, though I doubt it. 

• Like 2

Steven Seagull

...when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn.

• Like 1

Beerjeezus

I really liked his call to action. He expressed the frustration that I know I was feeling perfectly and then said "Hi, guys, if you don't like this DO SOMETHING. Vote for people who will work to change this." I thought that was a really good point to make, because we all know that he can't do anything about it on his own or he would have by now. It's up to us to change things, and that's part of the reason the gun violence problem in America is so appalling - because we collectively have the power to change it, and we haven't. We literally do nothing.

Yes, I agree with him. It's important to explain the situation and I just hope the message got through to people who need to realise that the change must be done. It's very ignorant to overlook all the bad that comes from weapons being freely distributed. 

The Disappearing Boy

What I also really liked about that speech was how he brought up mental health. I dunno if he's ever done that before in this kind of speech, but I think it's good that he did.

Beerjeezus

Unfortunately, I really doubt his message will resonate with people like my parents who think everything he spouts is evil. I'm tempted to send them the speech and be like "Pretend Rush Limbaugh is saying this instead of Obama" because I think the speech is that important and that sensible, but they still won't get over their own narrow-mindedness enough to listen. It's sad.

To be honest, I used to think American republicans are a special level of stubborn ignorance, with the refugee crisis I now see that such people are everywhere and it's nearly impossible to persuade them. So good luck with your parents.

I think this won't change unless a person conservatives are willing to listen to will adress the issue. 

• Like 1

Beerjeezus

Obama made a really interesting point, which is that a majority of gun owners in America actually agree with the idea that more gun control is necessary. Yet, they (and everyone else) sit on their hands.

However, it's possible for people to change. As little as a year ago I would have been against more gun control even in the face of this tragedy, but I was able to evolve my views, which gives me hope for others. Maybe not my parents, but other people my age who currently agree with my parents' viewpoint. What wore me down was just seeing this exact thing happen over and over and over again. No amount of people having guns has stopped this from happening again and again. So maybe we should try something different?

Hopefully, enough people will change their minds. I understand people's desire for freedom, but I would trade it for being safer. 

WhiteTim

Sadly every time these gun nuts hear gun control they hear "we want to take away your guns" there's differences between gun owner and gun nuts gun owners want stricter gun controls gun nuts are the extreme u ain't takin my gun away over my dead body constitution constitution type idiots who most shouldn't own guns 

• Like 2

Beerjeezus

Sadly every time these gun nuts hear gun control they hear "we want to take away your guns" there's differences between gun owner and gun nuts gun owners want stricter gun controls gun nuts are the extreme u ain't takin my gun away over my dead body constitution constitution type idiots who most shouldn't own guns 

And that's crazy. They would be able to legalise their guns so what kind of problem do they have?  Decent gun owners wouldn't be robbed of their rights. 

WhiteTim

And that's crazy. They would be able to legalise their guns so what kind of problem do they have?  Decent gun owners wouldn't be robbed of their rights. 

exactly if they are decent then stricter controls stricter background checks shouldn't matter at all to them 

• Like 2

AlissaGoesRAWR

Whyyy oh why did I read the comments?  :fool:

J Dragger • 6 hours ago

"Obama said there is a gun for roughly every man, woman and child in the U.S. He asked how anyone with a straight face can make the argument that more guns will make people safer."

If you truly believe that Mr. President, then please lead by example and insist that the secret service that protects you and your family turn in their guns.

twcoughlan • 5 hours ago

Has anyone asked the question if the gunman was a Muslim ? He singled out Christian victims according to witnesses . Maybe the pres might be forced to put two words together he hasn't yet. Muslim and terrorist!

thinkagain • 3 hours ago

Another TOLERANT liberal goes on a mass murder spree! Apparently, killing unborn children just wasn’t enough…

• Like 4

fukingcounterstrike

Whyyy oh why did I read the comments?  :fool:

J Dragger • 6 hours ago

"Obama said there is a gun for roughly every man, woman and child in the U.S. He asked how anyone with a straight face can make the argument that more guns will make people safer."

If you truly believe that Mr. President, then please lead by example and insist that the secret service that protects you and your family turn in their guns.

twcoughlan • 5 hours ago

Has anyone asked the question if the gunman was a Muslim ? He singled out Christian victims according to witnesses . Maybe the pres might be forced to put two words together he hasn't yet. Muslim and terrorist!

thinkagain • 3 hours ago

Another TOLERANT liberal goes on a mass murder spree! Apparently, killing unborn children just wasn’t enough…

You can only mock the arguments you can't counter

• Like 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

You can only mock the arguments you can't counter

What Fuzz said. :happy:

fukingcounterstrike

"If you truly believe that Mr. President, then please lead by example and insist that the secret service that protects you and your family turn in their guns."

Secret Service carry weapons just like police do. Most people who want some gun control aren't advocating removing all guns. It's sensationalist bullshit.

"Has anyone asked the question if the gunman was a Muslim ? He singled out Christian victims according to witnesses . Maybe the pres might be forced to put two words together he hasn't yet. Muslim and terrorist!"

Obama has had no problems talking about Isamic extremists. This is more sensationalist bullshit with a nice tough of xenophobia to go along with it.

"Another TOLERANT liberal goes on a mass murder spree! Apparently, killing unborn children just wasn’t enough…"

No indication that this person was liberal, and it's not usually tolerant liberals that have gone around killing people. 

reaching for straws I see

• Like 1

Beerjeezus

What a colossally idiotic post. 

I decided it was a joke. 

o_O

I decided it was a joke. 

i second this.