'murka praised for new levels of efficiency as it reached 1/3 of it's daily gun murder quota in under an hour

Wild celebrations broke out across the US this morning when a man set a new time record for murdering innocent civilians. Proud Americans wept in joy at the man's choice to use his freedom to massacre bright young minds due to him being a massive fucking cunt. Conservative commentators have already rushed to praise the unknown hero's efforts, and to emphasise the importance of his right bear arms. Donald Trump has been quoted as saying, in response to the incident, that "Every American should have the right to go fucking mental and shoot anyone he likes, that's freedom baby"

When pressed for a statement, an NRA spokesman said "We are currently looking into arming guns used by good guys, so as to more efficiently stop bad guys with guns, whose guns will be unarmed, thus giving them a major disadvantage".

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-umpqua-community-college-oregon-182211198.html

Beerjeezus

I heard about this. It's terrible and I do think America should get a gun control law asap. Shootings rarely happen in countries that have it and it's not true you wouldn't be able to get a gun if you wanted it for self-defence. It's the same as getting a driver's licence. You need to pass a test. No huge deal. 

The shooter was posting on 4chan last night and being egged on by the little fucks that inhabit the boards over there. Apparently one of them was giving him ideas on how to efficiently kill the most people. Absolutely sick. 

In fairness people make threads on 4chan about that shit daily and invariably nothing happens. Just a bunch of neckbeards jerking off on violent fantasies, they're probably just as surprised as everyone else that someone was insane enough to go through with this sort of thing.

Beerjeezus

The shooter was posting on 4chan last night and being egged on by the little fucks that inhabit the boards over there. Apparently one of them was giving him ideas on how to efficiently kill the most people. Absolutely sick. 

This is something I see more often than I'd like to - people don't take things seriously enough on the Internet. Remember the girl who posted about killing herself and no one believed she wasn't joking? This might have been the same. People cross the line withought realising it.

BetterThanAir

Literally heart breaking. :cry:

rootbeersoup

Should be noted that he posted on /r9k/ which people take less seriously than /b/

captain peroxide

This is something I see more often than I'd like to - people don't take things seriously enough on the Internet. Remember the girl who posted about killing herself and no one believed she wasn't joking? This might have been the same. People cross the line withought realising it.

Yeah, but 99% of the time, the people saying that stuff are joking / trolling / lying / playing out some kind of fantasy. So statistically, it makes perfect sense not to take anything on the internet particularly seriously. At least on 4chan.

Beerjeezus

In fairness people make threads on 4chan about that shit daily and invariably nothing happens. Just a bunch of neckbeards jerking off on violent fantasies, they're probably just as surprised as everyone else that someone was insane enough to go through with this sort of thing. 

As surprised as we'd be if you'd actually beaten the shit out of Billie Joe, except not in a good way. 

BetterThanAir

I actually totally agree with this. I feel like we are too busy taking irrelevant shit into consideration but not potential threats. I can understand why it would be confusing to take things seriously on 4chan, but eh, it's concerning nonetheless. I kind of am being a hypocrite, though...I take personal threats to oneself much more seriously than I take people threatening other people. I always see people on Twitter saying they are going to 'shoot someone' or 'knock someone out' but I'm never sure if it's just anger, and don't want to ask and anger people more. When it's someone threatening themselves, they are usually not angry when they are asked if they were serious. :/ So I get why it's hard to know for sure....but I do think it should be taken more seriously. Even if you're wrong about someone, I guess it's better to piss them off than have terrorism unleash. 

Beerjeezus

Yeah, but 99% of the time, the people saying that stuff are joking / trolling / lying / playing out some kind of fantasy. So statistically, it makes perfect sense not to take anything on the internet particularly seriously. At least on 4chan.

I agree, personally I take most of what I see on the Internet with a pinch of salt, but the thing is, that expecting that everyone is joking makes us numb. I wouldn't see that coming if I saw the posts, but that's pretty sick itself. Those people basically got trolled by someone who was serious. 

• Like 4

Beerjeezus

I agree with Jane (is that your real name? Probably not :P ) that I take most things on the internet not very seriously at all. Suicide/death threats I do take more seriously in the sense that a.) I would never respond to a suicide threat with a joke (a.k.a., "lol just kill yourself then"), and the same for a death threat that I perceived as serious. I guess I should dial back my comment from earlier, because honestly it's easy to point fingers in hindsight. It depends on the situation. If Ceadagh were to message me and be like "I'm going to shoot up a school," I'd make fun of him because the chance of him being serious is incredibly low. If a random person posting on GDC were to say, "I'M GOING TO SHOOT UP A SCHOOL," I'd probably ignore it or use the report button because those things do disturb me and you never know what's going on with a stranger behind a computer screen. I don't feel it's my responsibility to figure out how serious that threat is, I'd leave it up to the mod team to do with as they felt was appropriate. Same goes for posts on reddit, 4chan, and other social media sites. I do feel sort of appalled at the social media culture that has led to cases of actual murderers posting about their crime in advance and people just ignoring it or egging them on as a joke. But, that's what being on the internet does to you. You can't take every single thing seriously, even stuff like "I'M GOING TO KILL SOMEONE" because it'll just cause too much emotional distress for you if you do. And what's my responsibility anyway? If I saw someone on reddit talking about killing someone and ignored it, am I culpable if they commit the crime because I had the chance to alert the authorities? But if I'd logged off of reddit 1 second before the post was made, I would have never even seen it and the result would have been the same. It's a real moral grey area.

My real name is Jana, so Jane's close enough :D I agree with you. To be honest, I don't know what I'd do if I saw a death threat, I probably wouldn't see it as a joke. Another problem is that practically nothing can be done in advance - not even mods can stop someone like that. They can ban them from the site, but should they call the police? What could the police do about an online threat ?

I've had death and bodily harm threats on GDC for fucks sake. You can't possibly take that shit seriously, 9,999,999 times out of 10,000,000 it's just some buttmad little fuck who's pissed that you don't fancy licking dogshit off of Billie Joe's shoe.

WhiteTim

Just awful 

The Disappearing Boy

WhiteTim in ... 3, 2, - oh, too late :(

WhiteTim

WhiteTim in ... 3, 2, - oh, too late :(

surely you don't think I endorse this kind of shit 

o_O

this is horrible. 

GreenDayBass

Tragic. :(

The Disappearing Boy

surely you don't think I endorse this kind of shit 

Not at all! I just assumed there'd be a gun control debate or something :P

rootbeersoup

I'm all in favor of controlling gun control debates

• Like 1

Sarcasm

I've had death and bodily harm threats on GDC for fucks sake. You can't possibly take that shit seriously, 9,999,999 times out of 10,000,000 it's just some buttmad little fuck who's pissed that you don't fancy licking dogshit off of Billie Joe's shoe.

me? I just read the title and posted the gunmans post on 4chan

interesting read, really tells you something about modern internet culture

Z J

Obama's pissed, maybe some actual legislation will finally be introduced. 

BetterThanAir

Hmm, this all kind of reminds me of this one guy from my high school.

When I was in high school, there was this strange guy who had a huge crush on me. He had his locker across from mine and would come compliment me every day, and buy me gifts and stuff. It was extremely awkward and he was kind of a loner. But I added him on MSN (this was in grade nine) and we spoke because I didn't want to judge him. He was nice (still is a nice guy), but he constantly talked about his bomb making knowledge, and would link me videos of suicide bombings and tell me he was a really depressed guy. He asked me out in a class one day and I said no, and this kid LITERALLY PUT GUM ON MY CHAIR, and left a note on my locker saying, "Do you believe in love at first sight? Because you'd look so graceful burning alive" (later found out these were lyrics). I continued to speak to him just to be nice, but he started making weapons in class (shop class) and making his MSN name strange things, so I reported him to the school in grade twelve after an anonymous Twitter account threatened to "attack" at our prom. The account was never linked to him, but nonetheless, the report helped him. He got counselling and it turns out he was a super sad guy and was contemplating killing himself, but never admitted to wanting to hurt others. We still speak now occasionally and he has done a complete 180 and has friends, a good future, and isn't sad anymore. No one ever took him seriously and thought that he did these things and said these things because he was a loner and wanted attention, but I think it was a cry for help, and I'm happy I ended up reporting him.

I don't know how much could have been done on 4chan for this guy, since I don't take anything on there seriously, but it's such an awkward and controversial thing to post that I'm sort of wishing there is that ONE guy who takes everything seriously and is willing to report this kind of stuff. Those people didn't deserve to lose their lives and I'm sure the families of those affected will always be on the asses of those people who say stupid shit like that online...even if it isn't serious. 

• Like 1

unextraordinarygirl

That's it! I don't to live in murica anymore! This country is going to Hell faster then you can say gun control. When is this senseless violence going to end?!