Story of the Fan that met Billie Joe in Broken Guitars shop

desertrose

Visiting Oakland, Adrien (a French fan) had the chance to meet Billie Joe! He describes his encounter:

My name is Adrian, and I'm 16. Music became my passion, thanks to Green Day, I listen to since my early childhood. Billie Joe Armstrong is the person I was most inspired and influenced in this area. Meet has always been a while since I had to do.

This summer 2015, I went on a road trip in California with my family. We ended our trip in San Francisco, so stayed there. Knowing Oakland is the port of San Francisco, is located a few miles from this city, we decided to spend an afternoon. To visit the site and punk scenes of the east bay.

On Tuesday, August 18, addresses and places were recorded in the GPS. We could finally move towards Oakland. To put a little in the mood, we put Green Day, background music in the car. In recent days, we had fun thinking meet Green Day, while we knew well that this dream was unlikely.

We found downtown Oakland, fully renovated and charming. There were only a few miles to go to reach Berkley and Gilman Street, where we discovered the "924 Gilman Street". No scheduled concert, the hall has no interest. We could not go inside. No store is located around. Afterwards, we walked around the store "Atomic Garden", the wife of Billie Joe, Adrienne. She was not present during our visit. This is a very cute and cozy shop, perfect for bringing back memories of Oakland. Then we ate in the restaurant Mike Dirnt.

We decided to stop later, on 40th street where 1,2,3,4 are! GO! RECORDS! and Broken Guitars the guitar shop belonging to Billie Joe. Both stores are located one opposite the other. The place was animated by the presence of shops and restaurants.

In 1,2,3,4! GO! RECORDS!, We discovered an indescribable amount of vintage LPs and cassettes. We saw the famous scene with a capacity of 40 people built by the group, (In the documentary Cuatro). After purchasing a few items, we headed Broken Guitars.

We crossed the street in the direction of the shop. I expected, passing the door step, meet Bill Schneider. It was indeed present. That's when my gaze was diverted by the presence of a silhouette that was not unknown to me ... Mr Armstrong, sitting, enjoying tacos.

My legs began to tremble own. No word, no sound came, only a drop of sweat ran down my forehead. Bill and Billie Joe looked at me with a "poker face", not understanding, not my state. I stood quite remote from them, I do not want to be disrespectful. After I presented, they have announced that I was a fan of the group, he replied, "Oh great, I expected two seconds, I will not greet you with sauce on his hands". I just had time to exchange a glance with my parents, too amazed as me. When he reappeared, he stood before me and held out his hand. Even in my dream, I squinted five seconds on his hand, hug him before. That's when I regained consciousness really.

What is quite funny is that from this moment, we talked as if we already knew. I started to tell him about the concerts that I saw (Parc des Princes 2010 / Emirates Stadium 2013/2013 Main Square). What brought us to speak concerts in France. He loves to play in the French festivals because they are beautiful (Place d'Arras ... Nimes Arena ... Domaine de St Cloud). We also talked about various concerts, he has trouble remembering.

Again, it's Billie Joe, very friendly, which made the first move, asking us if we wanted to take pictures with him. We laughed, having had the right to take Papish selfies with him.

I also inquired for news of Jason White and Brittney, both defeated their cancers. And they found the form! With Bill and Bj, we had fun to recall some passages of the documentary of the group, "Cuatro". Do not worry, we found a BJ fit and cheerful.

The discussion then turned on his adolescence when he was my age. I asked him about the songs. Among them, the song "Sweet 16" story of his 16th birthday and his early love affair with Adrienne. Or the songs "At The Library" or "Only Of You" which he wrote when he was 16 years old. I could continue to talk with him for hours on the origin of the songs and their meaning. That's what I like in music.

I then conducted a survey on the next album. They have "some" pieces and should not delay to return to repeat, to put it in shape. We must wait for this new "gem". With all the good and bad times they spent, they have nothing to be inspiration.

Our meeting was ending. I had the right to leave with a beautiful guitar signed by Billie Joe. A new jewel to complete my collection, shown above with "Adrien, Welcome to the east bay." It sounds extremely well, they offer quality stuff.

It was time for Billie Joe to leave. He greeted me by making me one of the best hugs ever received. We stayed a few minutes later to talk with Bill. I left the store, leaving behind me, my childhood dream, now realized.

PS: I wish all the fans to meet him one day. It is an enriching human, funny and with a huge generosity.

Rage and Love.

http://greendayparadise.net/site/1487/adrien-raconte-sa-rencontre-avec-bja/#comments

01.jpg

That is such a nice story.  I'm so glad to hear stories about the guys being so nice to their fans.  And tacos are awesome, I'm with billie on that

That's awesome. I have yet to see anything printed that leads me to believe that Billie Joe isn't one of the friendliest, most accessible rock stars out there. I can think of a few that would have run for their lives from that encounter, and that's their prerogative to do, but when you see a story like this about Billie Joe, it's hard not to feel really good about being a Green Day fan.

This is adorable in so many ways, The way the kid writes, the translation, just makes the story even more heart warming.  And of course, Billie.  *sigh*.  Or, in French, Le Sigh.  I cannot wrap my brain around the ever changing look of Billie Joe.  Within one month, he went from the NYC Norah Jones concert look (where he looked maybe 30 years old), the scrubby dad picture with the two boys (where he looked his age and possibly even older), to this picture, where he looks younger than the 16 year old!  He is a shape shifter, that is pretty much the only explanation.  

Oh cool! I've been seeing this picture everywhere, just hadn't heard the story behind it. I started laughing when he described Billie as 'just chilling and eating tacos'. :D

Lovely story! Billie's such a nice guy and I'm really pleased for the fan. Also really pleased to hear that about Jason!

Great Story, I'm French too and it would be amazing to meet him one day.

He's very lucky.

That is such a sweet incident! I wish something like that happens with me some day. It will be a dream come true. 

But congratulations to the person who got to experience this. :D

Well isn't that just sweet... 

jA1wZIX.gif

I kid, I'm happy for the guy... still, that doesn't mean I'm not incredibly jealous. :lol:

My heart was all warm and fuzzy, oh my god. Adrien is such a lucky person to be able to meet Billie Joe and actually have a full conversation with him, not just a handshake and a few questions. 

The first thing on my bucket list is to meet these guys, give them all the best hugs i'v ever given to anybody, and thank them for changing me, and making me realize who i am and what i want to be. I owe so much to them, and i have to meet them like Adrien did. I won't be happy with myself until i do. 

I'm so happy for this dude, but incredibly jealous at the same time! :lol: 

Archived