Green Day Album Production

nuno_c

I've been thinking about this for a while....

What do you think of Green Day's album production? Are they over-produced? Natural sounding? What is the most balanced Green Day album production?

I don't knot if this has been already discussed or not but i really wanted to create a topic about this.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

39/Smooth has the best production. ;)

No 1000 Hours and the Sweet Children EP have the best production

21st Century Breakdown!!!

Yeah, but the problem with that is that Butch Vig produced it. :P 

what problem??

Even though I'm normally a fan of minimalistic production I like 21cb. It's different from the rest of their catalog and despite some moments  (pitch shifting in the last chorus of Static Age) it's a well produced album. The filters sometimes stand out way more than on AI but what's that compared to the Trilogy. 

Everything pre American Idiot has the best production because they really fucked up things on AI and 21st CB. My favorite would be Dookie.

If I have to choose the best, it's 21st century breakdown and American Idiot. I'd like to see them going in this direction again for the next album. Listened to 21st CB for the first time in ages today and I had forgotten how good it was. 

21st century breakdown and american idiots production gave them a really big sound that the albums needed and it worked great

With Warning I can be listening with the crappiest sound source available and the bass, drums, harmonica, guitars, and vocals all just seem separate, but together. They speak to each other with such magic.. Nimrod is similar, but the bass and drums seem a little meshy.. 

American Idiot is also a little meshy under the guitar and vocals.

21st CB is right where it should be IMO..

Best sounding albums to me though is Dookie and Kerplunk  :) 

I'm gonna discount 1,039 and Kerplunk, cause they were clearly done on a budget.

For me, the production of Dookie is hit and miss, the bass tone is silky smooth and sounds great, but the guitar and snare sometimes sound a bit thin

Nimrod has a MASSIVE guitar sound, I love it, just listen to the rhythm guitar under the solo in Hitchin' a Ride, it's sooo meaty.

Insomniac sounds like a cross between Dookie and Nimrod, the bass and drums sound excellent, and the guitar isn't quite as meaty as Nimrod, but it's better than Dookie.

Warning is pretty good, but the guitar is sometimes a bit trebly and harsh (only occasionally). The acoustic guitar on Macy's Day Parade is awesome.

American Idiot has a similar guitar sound to Nimrod, all the rhythm guitar just sound huge, and it works in its' favour for sure.

21st Century Breakdown is a bit stripped-back in terms of guitars, they're not as heavy and big as AI, but it works better for the songs, a bit less gain-y.

The trilogy is, for all the flak it gets, probably the best produced Green Day album(s). Everything is crystal clear, especially the drums (listen to Makeout Party, as a drummer myself, that's the kick sound I always try (and fail) to get), and the bigger stuff like Brutal Love and the Forgotten has extra instruments that sit nicely in the mix without sounding out of place on a guitar-driven album. Also the bass tone on Mike's solo is Dirty Rotten Bastards is fit as fuck, I wish I could get my bass to sound like that.

Butch is awesome

I just love the guitars on 21st CB and the drums on Warning, but taking into consideration every instrument and vocal part, I'd say either Insomniac or American Idiot. 

As a drummer myself I personally like the drum tones on Insomniac, AI, and the trilogy. I feel like Billie Joe's distortion on AI and 21CBD was really thin and it drives me crazy.  I thought the distortion on Insomniac was the best.

21CBD is OVERPRODUCED, there's just too much going on on that album and it's my least favorite of all of GD's albums. They threw in everything but the kitchen sink on that record. The big positive on that record though is Tre's drumming.

I think the trilogy sounds great but the production wasn't strong enough to let the songs stand out.

A remastering job would fix the thin sound of Dookie. It would give it some more "Oomph". I'm sad there was no "Digitally Remastered 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition" of Dookie. It would have been fantastic.

Btw, i've also been thinking about this... Why the hell does the trilogy seem to get so much criticism in terms of production?

To me it sounds really fresh, fun and (in a positive way) careless. I really love it.

I know it all really comes down to taste/opinion, but i actually love the sound of it and i have a hard time understanding why so many people seem to hate it

Btw, i've also been thinking about this... Why the hell does the trilogy seem to get so much criticism in terms of production?

To me it sounds really fresh, fun and (in a positive way) careless. I really love it.

I know it all really comes down to taste/opinion, but i actually love the sound of it and i have a hard time understanding why so many people seem to hate it

to me it sounds way "thinner" than anything before and it kinda lacks the energy. Just listen to Insomniac and then to Uno. 

Butch is awesome

He's awesome at overproducing, that's for sure. :P

In general I like their production, seems to work alright for each album. Not a huge fan of how kind of unclear American Idiot and 21st CB are, where the sounds of the instruments are more blended together, but I guess that does suit the grand stadium rock style. And I remember not liking the production of 39/Smooth and Kerplunk at first because it sounded so rough in comparison to later stuff, but soon I got used to it and now I think it suits the songs/the time they were written much better than fancier production would. The rest (especially the trilogy) are nice and clear and I like that best.

The only thing that really stands out that I don't like is that loudspeaker type vocal effect used on Warning and American Idiot (eg "wake up" in Waiting, and "Going out to idiot America"). Makes me cringe :lol:. But they're doing pretty well if that's all I have to complain about.

I totally agree with you! I really love how you can hear each element of the music/singing so clearly. Seems we're in a very small minority though haha.

I totally agree with you! I really love how you can hear each element of the music/singing so clearly. Seems we're in a very small minority though haha.

I love how Billie Joe sounds like he's underwater half the time in the trilogy

Oh wait, no I don't!

Archived