Unreleased Track: Dropout

The Great Divide

Dropout was confirmed by Mike to be the title of an unreleased track, meant for Cigarettes and Valentines. Nothing was known about this track for awhile, until some fans started to speculate that the outro of Brutal Love might be a part of Dropout.

Lyrics:

"Dropout, Drop dead hideous

How long is this brutal love"

I also had the idea that most of the lyrics, and possibly the music, of Sex, Drugs & Violence, might be part of Dropout or related to it, considering the lyrics have to do with being stupid and references school a number of times. What do you guys think? 

I think there's no way to either confirm or prove this wrong.

Given that Billie tends to use his favorite words in multiple songs (some are on one album, there are words he uses frequently throughout his whole career.) and fans' looking for Cigrettes and Valentines on every step of the way  (just learned this!,  I think there's no way to tell for sure. Might be. Might not. 

maybe we'll hear some crummy recording of it from some club show with 120 people inside, but for now it's only mentioned in passing when someone has dug after it so I kind of doubt it. 

did mike ever say every single song they wrote will be out one day? we just need to wait. 

I'm not sure if C&V stuff will ever be released. The only way I  can see it happening is if they get inspired to add it to an album or play it live (like they have in the past)... or when they get old they decide to cash in for some easy money and release the demo'd album because we'd buy it. But I haven't seen an interview where Mike confirmed the name, I've only seen the video during the Warning era where it shows Tre and if you stop it at the right spot, you can see the demo list taped on the floor and Dropout along with Clusterbomb is on the list, I think. It has been a while since I watched it so I might be wrong lol. 

I'm not sure if C&V stuff will ever be released. The only way I  can see it happening is if they get inspired to add it to an album or play it live (like they have in the past)... or when they get old they decide to cash in for some easy money and release the demo'd album because we'd buy it. But I haven't seen an interview where Mike confirmed the name, I've only seen the video during the Warning era where it shows Tre and if you stop it at the right spot, you can see the demo list taped on the floor and Dropout along with Clusterbomb is on the list, I think. It has been a while since I watched it so I might be wrong lol. 

it was an interiew with DJRossStar where Mike confirmed that as a title. I know Clusterbomb was on that demo list but I don't remember seeing Dropout on it.

IMO we already have SEVEN C&V tracks. I've listed my evidence in the C&V thread that already exists, but they are:

Favorite Son

When It's Time

Too Much Too Soon

Shoplifter

Governator

Lights Out

Hearts Collide

The first two tracks are from the actual album sessions, the rest are demos recorded at Studio 880 (now Jingletown).

IMO we already have SEVEN C&V tracks. I've listed my evidence in the C&V thread that already exists, but they are:

Favorite Son

When It's Time

Too Much Too Soon

Shoplifter

Governator

Lights Out

Hearts Collide

The first two tracks are from the actual album sessions, the rest are demos recorded at Studio 880 (now Jingletown).

Is When It's Time really from the C&V sessions? I thought that was a song that Billie wrote for Adrienne a long time ago that he allowed to be used in the musical and also recorded a Green Day version because of this?

Is When It's Time really from the C&V sessions? I thought that was a song that Billie wrote for Adrienne a long time ago that he allowed to be used in the musical and also recorded a Green Day version because of this?

It was at least cut from American Idiot.

Since when has When It's Time ever been a C&V track?

not every song that doesn't appear on a main GD album is a C&V track... 

Favorite Son

When It's Time

Too Much Too Soon

Shoplifter

Governator

Lights Out

Hearts Collide

Can you re-post the evidence?  I always thought "Favorite Son" was recorded specifically for "Rock Against Bush," or in the AI sessions (due to the political subtext).  Also, is "Olivia" from these sessions, or something cut from the Trilogy?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/08/watch-green-day-debut-cigarettes-and-valentines-and-olivia/

ONLY the American Idiot songs were recorded during the American Idiot sessions. It shows the songs on the studio whiteboard with their original titles (Clusterbomb for example) in the original AI tour program.

When It's Time was released in 2010, recorded with Rob Cavallo producing. Green Day and Cavallo weren't on friendly terms at that time so it HAS to be from earlier. Definitely not the AI sessions for the reason above plus it doesn't have the same mix as the AI album. C&V is the only logical possibility. Similar story for "Favorite Son"; produced by Rob Cavallo but not from the AI sessions.

Green Day and Cavallo weren't on friendly terms at that time so it HAS to be from earlier. 

Sorry a bit off topic but what is the story on this?

Green Day seriously need to make a huge B-sides collection box set.  There is simply too much unheard Green Day music:   They have at least 1131 songs (and probably loads more that no one knows about) and just under 200 have been officially released.  That's not even 20%, which is ridiculous.  I say they purge their systems by releasing it all in one massive collection, and then they won't have to go back and fiddle with older songs.  They can move forward and make completely fresh new music.  Not knocking how they revisit older material at all, just think it would be a good idea.    Here's an idea for perhaps a smaller B-sides collection:

Something For My Troubled Mind:

1. Chocolate Rain
  2. Alison
  3. Dreamcatcher
  4. Wonderful
  5. Olivia
  6. Oh Girl
  7. Food Around the Corner
  8. Hard Times
  9. Can't Believe My Own Eyes
  10. Minnesota Girl
  11. I'm Alright
  12. Satellite 
  13. Things I Heard Today
  14. Gabriella
  15. Ruby Mae
  16. Hot Foot Jamboree
  17. Hello Firecracker
  18. Life is So Plain

Sorry a bit off topic but what is the story on this?

Green Day told Cavallo that they were ready to record what became 21CBD, but Cavallo told them he was too busy with Sinedown or the Goo Goo Dolls or something. That's why Vig ended up being the producer. They obviously eventually made up.

Green Day seriously need to make a huge B-sides collection box set.  There is simply too much unheard Green Day music:   They have at least 1131 songs (and probably loads more that no one knows about) and just under 200 have been officially released.  That's not even 20%, which is ridiculous.  I say they purge their systems by releasing it all in one massive collection, and then they won't have to go back and fiddle with older songs.  They can move forward and make completely fresh new music.  Not knocking how they revisit older material at all, just think it would be a good idea.    Here's an idea for perhaps a smaller B-sides collection:

1. Chocolate Rain
  2. Alison
  3. Dreamcatcher
  4. Wonderful
  5. Olivia
  6. Oh Girl
  8. Hard Times
  10. Minnesota Girl
  11. I'm Alright
  12. Satellite 
  13. Things I Heard Today
  14. Gabriella
  15. Ruby Mae
  16. Hot Foot Jamboree
  17. Hello Firecracker
  18. Life is So Plain

Chances are Green Day will recycle a portion of some of their unreleased songs for future albums, like they supposedly did on the trilogy. A lot of older bands with a backlog of unreleased songs tend to do this since it saves the time and effort writing new material. A song like "State of Shock" is probably one that they decided they wouldn't recycle or rework in the future. I'm sure there's still probably an albums worth of those type of songs. It would be nice if they could release something like that while us fans wait for the next album. After all, we didn't get expanded & remastered deluxe anniversary editions of Dookie & AI which I had hoped for. Oh well, one can dream...

Can you re-post the evidence?  I always thought "Favorite Son" was recorded specifically for "Rock Against Bush," or in the AI sessions (due to the political subtext).  Also, is "Olivia" from these sessions, or something cut from the Trilogy?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2010/08/watch-green-day-debut-cigarettes-and-valentines-and-olivia/

Olivia is a song they just played live once, at a show in 2010, so I think 21st CB times is its most likely origin.

ONLY the American Idiot songs were recorded during the American Idiot sessions. It shows the songs on the studio whiteboard with their original titles (Clusterbomb for example) in the original AI tour program.

When It's Time was released in 2010, recorded with Rob Cavallo producing. Green Day and Cavallo weren't on friendly terms at that time so it HAS to be from earlier. Definitely not the AI sessions for the reason above plus it doesn't have the same mix as the AI album. C&V is the only logical possibility. Similar story for "Favorite Son"; produced by Rob Cavallo but not from the AI sessions.

Just because the final songs picked for the album were shown written on a board it doesn't mean they didn't record others during the AI sessions. The band themselves have stated that they recorded all kinds of different/experimental songs while making AI, including a whole album of dirty Christmas songs (and of course The Network album). It seems plausible to me that some of the American Idiot b-sides were recorded at the same time as the album, with their similar themes about politics. Without the band specifying there's no real way to know which originated while working on C&V and which while working on AI, as far as I know they've only said Too Much Too Soon was C&V. 

And you're wrong about When It's Time, Billie wrote it in 1991 (this is stated in a making of the American Idiot Musical documentary) and demoed it while making American Idiot (when making of American Idiot documentary Heart Like A Handgrenade was given a one off cinema showing Billie was shown playing it on guitar and piano, someone in the cinema even recorded the audio and posted it here). Could've been that it was also considered for C&V but again without the band saying so we don't know.

Just because the final songs picked for the album were shown written on a board it doesn't mean they didn't record others during the AI sessions. The band themselves have stated that they recorded all kinds of different/experimental songs while making AI, including a whole album of dirty Christmas songs (and of course The Network album). It seems plausible to me that some of the American Idiot b-sides were recorded at the same time as the album, with their similar themes about politics. Without the band specifying there's no real way to know which originated while working on C&V and which while working on AI, as far as I know they've only said Too Much Too Soon was C&V. 

And you're wrong about When It's Time, Billie wrote it in 1991 (this is stated in a making of the American Idiot Musical documentary) and demoed it while making American Idiot (when making of American Idiot documentary Heart Like A Handgrenade was given a one off cinema showing Billie was shown playing it on guitar and piano, someone in the cinema even recorded the audio and posted it here). Could've been that it was also considered for C&V but again without the band saying so we don't know.

I've never heard audio of the demo, is it on youtube?

1. Chocolate Rain
  2. Alison
  3. Dreamcatcher
  4. Wonderful
  5. Olivia
  6. Oh Girl
  8. Hard Times
  10. Minnesota Girl
  11. I'm Alright
  12. Satellite 
  13. Things I Heard Today
  14. Gabriella
  15. Ruby Mae
  16. Hot Foot Jamboree
  17. Hello Firecracker
  18. Life is So Plain

They most likely never recorded Food Around the Corner, that was just something Tre did live. I'd much rather hear their take on 19th Nervous Breakdown, that's pretty much the only Rolling Stones song that I like

I've never heard audio of the demo, is it on youtube?

I didn't write that very clearly but it wasn't audio of a demo, it was just of Billie playing it on guitar and singing, and not the whole song just a short clip.

I didn't write that very clearly but it wasn't audio of a demo, it was just of Billie playing it on guitar and singing, and not the whole song just a short clip.

Yeah, I understood that :P 

Yeah, I understood that :P 

Oh ok :P. If it's on youtube I can't find it. I think it might've been posted on myspace at the time.

Archived