Green Day: Lip syncing?

ZSebs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gave us this though, for which we should be forever thankful.

Oh my goodness! I had never seen this. Thank you for sharing. This made me laugh like a giddy school girl. 

I'm sure I read that there was a real row, lasting about two days, about the Working Class Hero performance for American Idol and that Billie said if it hadn't been for Darfur/Amnesty they would have pulled out but in the end played live but Billie lip synced.   If you watch the video, Billie's expression at the end is not his usual post performance smile!

Plot twist he lip synced the entire iHeart "rant". It was a carefully construed plan by the band's management and Justin Beiber's management to make them both (Billie and by association Justin) look more badass thus selling more copies of the trilogy (the management had already heard it remember and knew it was doomed!). Billie had rehearsed the rant several times but had forgotten the lines and so lip synced it. Justin failed to look badass and went on to punch photographers and the rest is...not very exciting. ;)

I'm sure I read that there was a real row, lasting about two days, about the Working Class Hero performance for American Idol and that Billie said if it hadn't been for Darfur/Amnesty they would have pulled out but in the end played live but Billie lip synced.   If you watch the video, Billie's expression at the end is not his usual post performance smile!

Hmm I wouldn't believe it without seeing the source, kind of sounds like something that'd be made up by people who didn't like the idea of Green Day "selling out" by playing on American Idol. They were only ever playing on there for the Dafur cause so there's no reason the idea of playing on there without it being for that would've been discussed. And I'd assume Billie wasn't smiling because of the seriousness of the song and the cause being supported.

I heard this too. There's the F-word in the song and they wanted silence instead of a beep - that's why he probably had to lip sync. 

I remember this when it aired.  It was a big deal around here that they had them lip sync because they were afraid of Billie dropping F bombs.   I couldn't find a source, it must be in the same place as the Berenstein Bears, but I clearly remember the controversy when it aired.  

Yeah I remember people making a fuss about it (omg Green Day can't play on American Idol!!!11) but I don't remember the band themselves making a fuss of any kind, or even being interviewed about or saying anything about the performance. It was during downtime for the band so they pretty much just did the song and went away again, they weren't doing interviews or public appearances at the time. If I saw a quote from Billie saying he had an objection to lip syncing I'd believe it but otherwise I wouldn't.

Yeah I remember people making a fuss about it (omg Green Day can't play on American Idol!!!11) but I don't remember the band themselves making a fuss of any kind, or even being interviewed about or saying anything about the performance. It was during downtime for the band so they pretty much just did the song and went away again, they weren't doing interviews or public appearances at the time. If I saw a quote from Billie saying he had an objection to lip syncing I'd believe it but otherwise I wouldn't.

I don't remember the band saying anything about it.  I meant that the American Idol producers made a big deal out of it that they were making him lip sync because they didn't trust what he would say. 

I don't remember the band saying anything about it.  I meant that the American Idol producers made a big deal out of it that they were making him lip sync because they didn't trust what he would say. 

Oh yeah I remember that too, thought you were referring to the post above mentioning Billie.

I thought the Working Class Hero performance was pre-recorded (ie not live on air) rather than lip synced?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I read that due to the two fbombs in Working class hero, the producers were saying it had to be pre-recorded and the band were saying no, we play live, we know how to perform and not drop fbombs, you can trust us to get it right but that in the end they played their instruments but Billie lip-synced.  Think it may have been the Giilian Gaar book?

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I read that due to the two fbombs in Working class hero, the producers were saying it had to be pre-recorded and the band were saying no, we play live, we know how to perform and not drop fbombs, you can trust us to get it right but that in the end they played their instruments but Billie lip-synced.  Think it may have been the Giilian Gaar book?

Oh could be then, I haven't read that book but if you remember reading it from the band then it's probably the case. I was just going off the fact they weren't doing interviews at the time so there weren't quotes from them about it around at the time.

I thought the Working Class Hero performance was pre-recorded (ie not live on air) rather than lip synced?

I'm sure I read this somewhere before, and  as it sounds different to the recording its highly unlikely the American Idol performance was lip synched. 

That's how I remember this, too, no lip-syncing, just not live like the rest of the show. Same with America's Got Talent.

Archived