Green Day: Lip syncing?

ZSebs

I know that Green Day prides themselves on their tight performances during their live shows, but have there ever been any instances when they were found to be lip syncing? I am not talking about obvious examples such as music videos, I am focusing more on their live performances.

Maybe there are none, I haven't found any examples when I looked, but I am interested to know if there actually have been any cases.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for appearances on talk shows or stuff like American Idol. That's where they usually make the artist lipsync so they can carefully plan how many advertisements they can show.

I know that Green Day prides themselves on their tight performances during their live shows, but have there ever been any instances when they were found to be lip syncing? I am not talking about obvious examples such as music videos, I am focusing more on their live performances.

Maybe there are none, I haven't found any examples when I looked, but I am interested to know if there actually have been any cases.

Top of the Pops 1994 Billie had to lip sync  

Top of the Pops 1994 Billie had to lip sync  

Really? My Welcome To Paradise video seems just like the album audio on the beginning, but then, around 1:10, when the camera focus on Billie's face, he moves his mouth away from the mic and the voice fades away, as it was suppose to happen.

Also Mike's vocals are pretty clear live.

The instrumental was recorded I believe. On the 2min mark you can see Tre drummin and no drum sound. :P

So it's an "instrumental sync". :P

Yeah Top Of The Pops stopped making singers lip-sync in the late 80s after a string of complaints. They kept the music-sync though.

Really? My Welcome To Paradise video seems just like the album audio on the beginning, but then, around 1:10, when the camera focus on Billie's face, he moves his mouth away from the mic and the voice fades away, as it was suppose to happen.

The instrumental was recorded I believe. On the 2min mark you can see Tre drummin and no drum sound. :P

Maybe that's what it was. Billie's shirt on that says "who am I fooling?" or something like that. 

Maybe that's what it was. Billie's shirt on that says "who am I fooling?" or something like that. 

He says something along the lines of "pretty convincing, isn't it?" at the end of the song. So yeah looks like an instrumental synch, the vocals were live. 

Yeah Top Of The Pops stopped making singers lip-sync in the late 80s after a string of complaints. They kept the music-sync though.

That's disappointing.

Nice topic, and no Billie has never ever lip synced. NEVER. I just watched them playing on the tops of the pops or whatever and Billie did actually sing in Boulevard of broken, same with welcome to paradise but something seems odd in that performance.

Nice topic, and no Billie has never ever lip synced. NEVER. I just watched them playing on the tops of the pops or whatever and Billie did actually sing in Boulevard of broken, same with welcome to paradise but something seems odd in that performance.

TOTP 94 it's just instrumental sync, BJ actually sings on that one.

He says something along the lines of "pretty convincing, isn't it?" at the end of the song. So yeah looks like an instrumental synch, the vocals were live. 

weren't you banned a while back?

Bands did sometimes still get asked to lip sync on tv shows into the 2000s, as seen in this epic example of Muse switching band members around:

http://fragg.me/video/muse-uprising-lip-sync-italian-tv

But yeah pretty sure Green Day always said no to it. I have a Green Day biography where there's a description of them appearing on T4 by a journalist who was with them at the time, they were playing Minority and were asked to change the two swear words to something else but even said no to that. So they had to bleep them instead, and watching it back the band were amused to hear one of the "fuck"s get through when they bleeped it too late :P. I know they've since been happy to leave swearing out when asked on occasion, but shows they don't have a problem saying no when they don't want to do something.

There were bands in the '70s and '80s (and, I'd assume, the '90s, '00s and '10s) that made no secret of their disdain for having to lip sync, and made no real effort to match the track when doing so. Came up not too long ago at the Super Bowl when the Red Hot Chili Peppers pre-recorded their guitar, bass and drum parts for the halftime show, then made no real effort to look like they were actually playing during the show.

GD might have been big enough to get away with saying no during the AI era, but I bet if you dug hard enough back into the '90s, between Dookie and Nimrod, you'd find examples of them lip syncing on televised performances.

I thought they were forced to lip sync on America's Got Talent because the producers were afraid of all the Fuck's Billie was going to drop.

Bands did sometimes still get asked to lip sync on tv shows into the 2000s, as seen in this epic example of Muse switching band members around:

http://fragg.me/video/muse-uprising-lip-sync-italian-tv

But yeah pretty sure Green Day always said no to it. I have a Green Day biography where there's a description of them appearing on T4 by a journalist who was with them at the time, they were playing Minority and were asked to change the two swear words to something else but even said no to that. So they had to bleep them instead, and watching it back the band were amused to hear one of the "fuck"s get through when they bleeped it too late :P. I know they've since been happy to leave swearing out when asked on occasion, but shows they don't have a problem saying no when they don't want to do something.

This is amazing. 

I had never seen this. Epic.

This is amazing. 

That's the best one due to them switching instruments, but if you liked that then if you search Muse lip sync on youtube there's loads more amusing examples of them messing around when they're meant to be lip syncing/music syncing, I don't think they've ever done it properly :D. Always makes me think it's a shame Green Day never thought to do the same, I'm sure they could've had some fun with it.

That's the best one due to them switching instruments, but if you liked that then if you search Muse lip sync on youtube there's loads more amusing examples of them messing around when they're meant to be lip syncing/music syncing, I don't think they've ever done it properly :D. Always makes me think it's a shame Green Day never thought to do the same, I'm sure they could've had some fun with it.

oh yes, I always get a fat fan stiffy when I see Green Day shuffle for some reason. Tre playing guitar and Billie playing drums for Tre's weird songs is cool, but I wanna see more of it to satisfy my own fandom. 

Did anyone see when Muse did a set on a Spanish TV channel and they were (rather rudely) told not to swear, leading to Matt doing it for shits and giggles whilst performing "Feeling Good". They were then banned from the network and I think that was when they had networks forcing them to lip sync.

Did anyone see when Muse did a set on a Spanish TV channel and they were (rather rudely) told not to swear, leading to Matt doing it for shits and giggles whilst performing "Feeling Good". They were then banned from the network and I think that was when they had networks forcing them to lip sync.

Nah that incident is unrelated. TV shows ask lots of bands to lip sync just because it's easier, just depends on whether they say yes or not. In Muse's case instead of insisting on singing live or choosing not to go on the show (as some bands would) they'd say yes and then mess around, they've been doing it since their very first TV performances way before that Feeling Good thing happened. In fact eventually shows stopped asking them to lip sync because they realised what they were up to :lol:, that Italian show where they switched places in 2009 was a rare chance by that time.

There aren't nearly as many shows that would request for bands to lip sync (or music sync) now though (like saturday/sunday morning music shows for kids/teenagers with loads of acts performing in studio). So the chances of seeing Green Day or any band doing it are much lower these days.

Nah that incident is unrelated. TV shows ask lots of bands to lip sync just because it's easier, just depends on whether they say yes or not. In Muse's case instead of insisting on singing live or choosing not to go on the show (as some bands would) they'd say yes and then mess around, they've been doing it since their very first TV performances way before that Feeling Good thing happened. In fact eventually shows stopped asking them to lip sync because they realised what they were up to :lol:, that Italian show where they switched places in 2009 was a rare chance by that time.

There aren't nearly as many shows that would request for bands to lip sync (or music sync) now though (like saturday/sunday morning music shows for kids/teenagers with loads of acts performing in studio). So the chances of seeing Green Day or any band doing it are much lower these days.

I always though lip syncing could be really fun with all the madness that could be done without consequence and you don't have to actually do anything other than look slightly convincing. I think that Kurt was taking it as seriously as the Beeb should be taken now because he was joking around and BBC aren't the big thing they once were because of all the commercial radio stations around and Spotify. They aren't musical giants so much anymore and I'm not sure there is much to be called music anymore either.

Archived